Re: [ksurfschool] Re: glasses/contact lenses revisited

  • Dave Raue
    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 14 11:43 PM
      Hi Stephie,

      I too have used disposable soft contacts, but unlike Ed I regularly lost
      them. Granted, at the time I was doing more falling and dragging, so I may
      somebody said that they never lost their contacts, so maybe my fit is lousy.
      Anyway, I tried the water ski goggles too, and lost a couple pairs. If you
      do a serious drag they can be pulled off pretty easily. surprisingly
      enough, what I've stuck with is just an old pair of glasses on a tight
      floatation leash. In a headfirst drag there's space for water to flow
      between the lenses and your face, so less drag than larger goggles. They've
      ended up around my neck a couple times, but they only came off once and I
      found them floating nearby. Some people swear by the Barz goggles, but
      they're expensive and prescription lenses even more so. I'm not willing to
      risk losing US$200 in a split second.

      -D

      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 15 12:28 AM
        I went for a body drag this afternoon at Sherman Island, was way
        overpowered at the end (I was on a 3.0) and ended up doing quite a
        bit of swimming. When I got back on land, I realized that one of my
        contact lenses was gone.

        I read some of the old messages and it seems that contact lenses stay
        better in salt/sea water? I'm going to have to get new contact
        lenses and was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what to

      • ed@kiteride.com
        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 15 4:06 AM
          Hi Stephie,

          I've been using soft disposable (daily lenses), which are pretty
          cheap (about GBP1 per pair). They seem to stick in even if I swim
          under water with my eyes open, and I've never lost one kitesurfing.
          Only time I have lost one was at a cable ski park, wakeboarding where
          you're going much faster anyway, and I must have face planted so hard
          it forced my eyelids open and the lens must have been blasted off by
          the force. But at £1 per pair - its not the end of the world if you
          lose one anyway...

          Regards,

          Ed

          --- In ksurfschool@y..., notalreadyinusebysomeoneelse@y... wrote:

          > I went for a body drag this afternoon at Sherman Island, was way
          > overpowered at the end (I was on a 3.0) and ended up doing quite a
          > bit of swimming. When I got back on land, I realized that one of
          my
          > contact lenses was gone.
          >
          > I read some of the old messages and it seems that contact lenses
          stay
          > better in salt/sea water? I'm going to have to get new contact
          > lenses and was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on what
          > get. Or should I try one of those dorky looking water ski goggles
          > instead?
          >
          > Thanks,
          > Stephie the newbie :)
        • Dwight & Jacky
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 17 4:45 PM
            Stay away from the real thin lens like Acuview. Try thicker ones like Bausch & Lomb Optima FW or Acuview 2, or Biomedics. Also look
            for a lens that covers more of the eye. The biomedics are very large and cover a lot of the eye. In the end they must fit, but there
            are enough len's you should be able to find one that works. The eye doc should be able to supply all the free len's you need, until
            you find some that work. Jacky and I have gotten a lot of free lens looking for the perfect fit that stays in. I have never lost a
            lens windsurfing or kiting in 10 years. My len's cost $5.00 each, so even if you do lose one, so what.

            Dwight