Another Day, Another Lesson

  • Farnsworth, Kenny
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9, 2000
      I hope I am not boring all of you with my tales, but I figure that is what
      this group is for and my wife has had enough with my kitesurfing talk. I
      wish I could take lessons, but there aren't any teachers in Utah, so
      everything is by trial and error. The video "Kiteboarding: How to Rip" has
      been a good resource.

      This morning I woke up at 4:45 AM and checked the windspeed at a local lake
      over the Internet. The conditions looked good with windspeeds around 16 -
      18 mph with gusts around 22 mph from the South. When I arrived at the lake
      the wind had picked up to 19 mph. I started out with my friend's 7.0 Naish,
      but I was overpowered, especially in the gusts. I dropped down to a 5.0,
      but the wind speed had picked up to 23 mph with 30 mph gusts. I was able to
      get up and do a few rides, but with my inexperience, it was difficult
      getting set up to launch on the board. I had plenty of headfirst dives over
      the board as gusts overpowered me. A reel would have been useful today. I
      would have shortened the lines a bit.

      Morale of the story - gusty winds make it much more difficult when learning
      how to launch on the board. Wear a helmet when learning. I had mine on
      today and I felt the board hit my helmet a couple times.

      Addicted,
      Kenny
      Salt Lake City, Utah