Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Foils and gusty wind NOT A myth!

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 6 10:20 PM
      Doug Adams (E-mail) <rcpilot@...> wrote:

      >My experience is foils launch much better backward,
      > flying on their brakes, from downwind.

      It's supposed to be possible to do that with an ARC too, but I had to
      intentionally crash it LE down to try it, & by the time I'd adjusted my
      center strap all the way out the darn thing was airborne again! In other
      words, if you really want to try it, make sure you adjust your strap all the
      way out BEFORE you "land" it nose down, or it may relaunch on its own before
      you get a chance to try the reverse launch.

      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 7 4:36 AM
        Actually, the issue Kenny raised is that after staying in the water
        during a lull for a while (let's say 10 minutes of less than 5 knots),
        most closed-cells foil or Arc would absorb so much water that would
        render them un-relauncheable when the wind pick up. This is more to do
        with the ability of the kite keeping the water out. I notice that
        modern closed cell foils float better and are constructed better allow
        them to stay on the water longer.

        I had only one experience with the Arc kiteskiing in the winter in very
        light wind. We could relaunch foil easily (both LE up and LE down) and
        could not relaunch the Arc in that light wind (LE down).

        P.S., I am very intrigued about the novelty of the Arc and always try to
        think of a reason to buy one. I select inflatable for its reliable
        water relaunch and decent performance; I select a foil for higher
        performance/higher jump and light wind. Can someone shred a light why
        would I buy/try an Arc (stacking for light wind is not it as it sounds
        pretty complex and difficult)

        Hung.