RE: [ksurfschool] Re: Foils and gusty wind NOT A myth!

  • Doug Adams (E-mail)
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 6, 2001
      IMHO arcs launch so well because the angle of attack can be varied. Just
      don't turn them inside out treating them like an inflatable while lying on
      the water! A foil launching leading edge up downwind has tons of drag and
      very little lift because the bridal sets the AOA at nearly 90 degrees
      relative the wind. My experience is foils launch much better backward,
      flying on their brakes, from downwind.

      Doug

      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 6, 2001
        Doug Adams (E-mail) <rcpilot@...> wrote:

        >My experience is foils launch much better backward,
        > flying on their brakes, from downwind.

        It's supposed to be possible to do that with an ARC too, but I had to
        intentionally crash it LE down to try it, & by the time I'd adjusted my
        center strap all the way out the darn thing was airborne again! In other
        words, if you really want to try it, make sure you adjust your strap all the
        way out BEFORE you "land" it nose down, or it may relaunch on its own before
        you get a chance to try the reverse launch.

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 7, 2001
          Actually, the issue Kenny raised is that after staying in the water
          during a lull for a while (let's say 10 minutes of less than 5 knots),
          most closed-cells foil or Arc would absorb so much water that would
          render them un-relauncheable when the wind pick up. This is more to do
          with the ability of the kite keeping the water out. I notice that
          modern closed cell foils float better and are constructed better allow
          them to stay on the water longer.

          I had only one experience with the Arc kiteskiing in the winter in very
          light wind. We could relaunch foil easily (both LE up and LE down) and
          could not relaunch the Arc in that light wind (LE down).

          P.S., I am very intrigued about the novelty of the Arc and always try to
          think of a reason to buy one. I select inflatable for its reliable
          water relaunch and decent performance; I select a foil for higher
          performance/higher jump and light wind. Can someone shred a light why
          would I buy/try an Arc (stacking for light wind is not it as it sounds
          pretty complex and difficult)

          Hung.