171 liquidforce picklefork

  • rasmussenkeith@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 3 , Jul 6, 2001
      i'm a begining kiteboarder, but experienced wakeboarder. i want to
      stay with a wakeboard type board. everybody i've talked to said i
      need a big board to start. i was wondering if the 171 liquidforce
      picklefork is big enough to get me started. if any one has info on
      this board or other big wakeboards, let me know.

      thanks, keith
    • Dave Raue
      Message 2 of 3 , Jul 6, 2001
        As a beginner your problems will be more with keeping the kite where you
        want it, keeping you where you want to be, staying oriented right and doing
        all this while dealing with bindings. When you do a nose-over (which you
        will) or get spun onto your back your beginner kite skills won't make things
        easier. It's just a very unforgiving set-up to learn, and one that all the
        wakeboard skills in the world won't help very much. Of course anything CAN
        be done if you're patient enough. It's just twice as hard and would take
        twice as long to get to the same point.

        That said, the 171 is a decent size wakeboard. I'd strongly urge you to put
        straps on it to learn, at least for while. When you get the waterstart
        wired put the bindings back on. The learning curve is pretty fast, at some
        point it all just clicks. You want to minimize the time that this takes.

        -D

        > i'm a begining kiteboarder, but experienced wakeboarder. i want to
        > stay with a wakeboard type board. everybody i've talked to said i
        > need a big board to start. i was wondering if the 171 liquidforce
        > picklefork is big enough to get me started. if any one has info on
        > this board or other big wakeboards, let me know.
        >
        > thanks, keith

      • Dwight & Jacky
        Message 3 of 3 , Jul 7, 2001
          That depends on where you live. At the beach, I have seen a sponsored pro wakeboarder jump on his
          first day with a kite in his hands. He didn't need a bigger wakeboard, he used the one he always
          rides with behind his boat.

          Start with a Free Air or R3 kite and you my be able to do it. The problem for you will be the power
          you need to stay on your feet with the small wakeboard. You will need to be very good with the kite
          before you try it. You could get yourself or spectators hurt trying to ride with the power needed
          and that would be bad.

          If you have a boat to take you to the middle of a lake, where you can't hurt anybody but yourself,
          then maybe you'll want to try. The pro wakeboard learned on a private beach with nobody around that
          could get hurt.

          I know one guy with the 11.0 flying it two line, and he uses a 30" bar. If you 4 line the kite or
          buy the 2001 11.5 model then the 24" bar will work

          Dwight