Re: [ksurfschool] Foils and gusty wind myth!

    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 3, 2001
      Rick Iossi wrote:
      > I have a AR5 5.5 m as well but have only had enough wind to use it twice.
      > Both times the wind was in the high 30 mph range. I have heard that the 5.5
      > m jellyfishes badly in high wind. I have yet to experience that. What has
      > your experience been? That must have been some session. Did your kite
      > stall much?

      I don't think the 5.5 jellyfishes worse than the 11.5. Besides, I find
      the jellyfish "problem" is fun once you are prepared for the "rush".

      Yes, it was some session and I wished I had the nerve to go out with the
      4 lined Wipika Classis 3.5 with 15m line in 35+ knots (I call it quit
      after failing to launch the Wipika Classic 3.5 with 30m line)

      Hung.
    • kitesrfer@aol.com
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 3, 2001
        Hung,

        That is interesting that you have had a similar experience with the 5.5 m. I
        have had it out close to 40 mph and it was still very well behaved and on 30
        m lines. My old 7.5 m, above the "sweet" wind range would become almost
        uncontrollable with violent jellyfishing along with folding back wing tips.
        It worked very well below that "terminal resonance" windspeed. It is
        interesting that the 5.5 was much more manageable than an old two lined
        Wipika classic that I once used in 40 to 45 mph winds. Much above 40 mph I
        did the "hungery porpose manuver". High winds are fun but I am glad that
        they are rare. I hope to last longer!

        Rick

      • fernmanus@yahoo.com
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 5, 2001
          Hung,

          Let's go back to what I was talking about. I agree that foils make
          sense in moderate/strong winds, but I am not so sure about light wind
          conditions. In fact, I am considering buying a couple small foils
          that I can use for kite surfing and kite skiing. Hung, do you
          recommend the JoJo? If so, why?

          It is not such a big deal when your small kite folds. However, when
          it happens on a 3-line 9.3 New Wave and the kite finally decides to
          respond and open up 5 feet above the water with the lines twisted a
          couple times - WATCH OUT!!! You are going to get seriously dragged.

          My 9.3 New Wave did take on water during lulls of more than a few
          minutes and would not relaunch.

          I get into my wakeboard bindings by flying the kite out away from
          shore and then hooking into the trim loop. I usually fly the kite so
          that it is pulling me gradually away from shore and then hurry to get
          the bindings on. I wouldn't call it easy, but with a little bit of
          practise it is safe and no big deal.

          > Kenny,
          >
          > > I see two big problems with foils in light gusty inland
          conditions:
          > > 1. Folding: I had terrible problems with the kite folding in a
          brief
          > > lull and then reopening right before the kite hit the water. This
          > > mades for some brutal body drags (resulting in several broken
          board
          > > leashes and a broken kite line).
          >
          > All kites would collapse in very gusty wind (both light or strong
          > wind). When a foil collapse, it folds itself and you can pull on
          the
          > lines (walk or swim backward) to get it back to shape. When an
          > inflatable collapse it simply falls and there is NOTHING you can do
          > about it. In its first few weeks of use, I got my AR5 5.5 fall
          down in
          > a pile of rocks and damage the front leading edge. I still have
          numerous
          > tapes on the front leading edge of my AR5 5.5 to remind me of that
          > event.
          >
          > Since then I have learned how to deal with the situation. Kites
          will
          > collapse in gusty wind if you fly them using only the front lines
          (both
          > for foils and inflatables). By keeping some tension on the back
          lines,
          > you can prevent them from collapsing in gusty wind.
          >
          > > 2. Long lulls - foils take on water after a few minutes on the
          > > water. Inflatables rule in this dept.
          >
          > That's what I used to believe but changed my belief after using the
          New

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 5, 2001
            Kenny,

            > Let's go back to what I was talking about. I agree that foils make
            > sense in moderate/strong winds, but I am not so sure about light wind
            > conditions.

            Light wind is where foils excel as in light wind you want a very high
            performance kite and a very light kite. So far only foils and
            C-Quad/Bean can deliver that type of characteristics.

            I have been using the XXXL for more than 2 years (for both kitesurfing
            and kiteskiing) and the Concept Air 12.5 and never have any problem with
            them. Actually, the only "wish" I have is that they should be higher
            performance and lighter (especially for the Concept air 12.5 due to its
            use in even lighter wind)

            > In fact, I am considering buying a couple small foils
            > that I can use for kite surfing and kite skiing. Hung, do you
            > recommend the JoJo? If so, why?

            The only two medium/strong wind foils I ever flown are the New Wave 4.9
            and the Jojo Rage 4.0 . So far they both work well. The Jojo Rage is a
            higher performance one. Concept Air used to make the EX's Wave which is
            of the same performance caliber as the Jojo Rage.

            The reason I think medium/strong wind foil is of appeal for me is my
            desire of jumping higher and the ability of using the same kite for both
            kitesurfing and kiteskiing.

            > It is not such a big deal when your small kite folds. However, when
            > it happens on a 3-line 9.3 New Wave and the kite finally decides to
            > respond and open up 5 feet above the water with the lines twisted a
            > couple times - WATCH OUT!!! You are going to get seriously dragged.

            If you use handle, just play with the brake lines to stall the kite. If
            you use bar, pull on the center line to keep the kite under control.
            It's easier to keep the kite under control and it fly whenever you are
            ready. If worse come to worse, just drop the bar, you can relaunch the
            kite later on with more control.

            > My 9.3 New Wave did take on water during lulls of more than a few
            > minutes and would not relaunch.

            It's true that if you have the lulls less than 5 knots for a few
            minutes, most foils would absorb so much water and won't relaunch. If
            you go out in such light wind and want the ability to relaunch more
            reliable, foils with inflatable cells such as the Mosquito and the Jojo
            Wet is better.

            I always use opened cell foils for light wind due to the closed cell
            effect which make closed-cell foil not as good as opened cell foil in
            light and gusty wind.

            Hung.
          • pault-colston
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 5, 2001
              you are all talking about 9.3 and 12.5 concept air i have a 6.3 new wave
              which a fantasic kite. now need a light wind kite but hear anything bigger
              is not to the same standard

              ----------

            • Mel
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 6, 2001
                Hung Vu <hungvu@...> wrote:

                > It's true that if you have the lulls less than 5 knots for a few
                > minutes, most foils would absorb so much water and won't relaunch. If
                > you go out in such light wind and want the ability to relaunch more
                > reliable, foils with inflatable cells such as the Mosquito and the Jojo
                > Wet is better.

                I know it doesn't really come under the "foil" classification we're
                discussing, but I had an ARC on the water for quite a while (a few minutes)
                & it relaunched easily in a 5 knot puff.

                Speaking of ARCs, stacking them for light wind performance seems to be
                getting increasingly popular. I had to have it explained to me like this
                before I finally understood the maneuverability issue: You're steering the
                little kite on the bottom. IT pulls the bigger, upper kite with it, from
                RIGHT THERE (faster response, due to 7m lines). Overall what happens is it
                steers quicker than the big kite by itself !!

                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 6, 2001
                  Mel wrote:
                  > > It's true that if you have the lulls less than 5 knots for a few
                  > > minutes, most foils would absorb so much water and won't relaunch. If
                  > > you go out in such light wind and want the ability to relaunch more
                  > > reliable, foils with inflatable cells such as the Mosquito and the Jojo
                  > > Wet is better.
                  >
                  > I know it doesn't really come under the "foil" classification we're
                  > discussing, but I had an ARC on the water for quite a while (a few minutes)
                  > & it relaunched easily in a 5 knot puff.

                  I am not sure understand why an ARC, being heavier, would relaunch and a
                  high performance foil would not in the same condition...

                  Hung.
                • Doug Adams (E-mail)
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 6, 2001
                    IMHO arcs launch so well because the angle of attack can be varied. Just
                    don't turn them inside out treating them like an inflatable while lying on
                    the water! A foil launching leading edge up downwind has tons of drag and
                    very little lift because the bridal sets the AOA at nearly 90 degrees
                    relative the wind. My experience is foils launch much better backward,
                    flying on their brakes, from downwind.

                    Doug

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 6, 2001

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 6, 2001
                        Doug Adams (E-mail) <rcpilot@...> wrote:

                        >My experience is foils launch much better backward,
                        > flying on their brakes, from downwind.

                        It's supposed to be possible to do that with an ARC too, but I had to
                        intentionally crash it LE down to try it, & by the time I'd adjusted my
                        center strap all the way out the darn thing was airborne again! In other
                        words, if you really want to try it, make sure you adjust your strap all the
                        way out BEFORE you "land" it nose down, or it may relaunch on its own before
                        you get a chance to try the reverse launch.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 7, 2001
                          Actually, the issue Kenny raised is that after staying in the water
                          during a lull for a while (let's say 10 minutes of less than 5 knots),
                          most closed-cells foil or Arc would absorb so much water that would
                          render them un-relauncheable when the wind pick up. This is more to do
                          with the ability of the kite keeping the water out. I notice that
                          modern closed cell foils float better and are constructed better allow
                          them to stay on the water longer.

                          I had only one experience with the Arc kiteskiing in the winter in very
                          light wind. We could relaunch foil easily (both LE up and LE down) and
                          could not relaunch the Arc in that light wind (LE down).

                          P.S., I am very intrigued about the novelty of the Arc and always try to
                          think of a reason to buy one. I select inflatable for its reliable
                          water relaunch and decent performance; I select a foil for higher
                          performance/higher jump and light wind. Can someone shred a light why
                          would I buy/try an Arc (stacking for light wind is not it as it sounds
                          pretty complex and difficult)

                          Hung.