Re: [ksurfschool] Foils and gusty wind myth!

    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 2, 2001
      kitesrfer@... wrote:
      > Of course Maui is a far cry from your 5 to 45 kt. experience. Under those
      > conditions I think I would leave the kites at home and watch the birds try to
      > deal with that. That could be pretty entertaining all by itself!

      We actually went out for a 1 - 2 hours session! I used my AR5 5.5 with
      15 m line and Luke Stanek from JOJO with his JoJo Rage 4.0 m2 (he is
      here 1 or 2 days for product demo). We quitted when the wind become 35+
      knots (the windsurfers started rigging down to 3.x sails).

      Going from 30m line to 15m line add another 5-8 knots to the upper wind
      range of my AR5 5.5; however, it is harder to jump and jibe as thing is
      happening so fast with shorter line.

      Hung.
    • Rick Iossi
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 2, 2001
        Hung,

        I have a AR5 5.5 m as well but have only had enough wind to use it twice.
        Both times the wind was in the high 30 mph range. I have heard that the 5.5
        m jellyfishes badly in high wind. I have yet to experience that. What has
        your experience been? That must have been some session. Did your kite
        stall much?

        Rick

        > > Of course Maui is a far cry from your 5 to 45 kt. experience. Under
        those
        > > conditions I think I would leave the kites at home and watch the birds
        try to
        > > deal with that. That could be pretty entertaining all by itself!
        >
        > We actually went out for a 1 - 2 hours session! I used my AR5 5.5 with
        > 15 m line and Luke Stanek from JOJO with his JoJo Rage 4.0 m2 (he is
        > here 1 or 2 days for product demo). We quitted when the wind become 35+
        > knots (the windsurfers started rigging down to 3.x sails).
        >
        > Going from 30m line to 15m line add another 5-8 knots to the upper wind
        > range of my AR5 5.5; however, it is harder to jump and jibe as thing is
        > happening so fast with shorter line.

      • Dave Raue
        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 2, 2001
          While I don't agree about the taking on water part (at least for Mosquitos),
          I've suffered from the folding/luffing problem in light winds too. I've
          found that if i'm using a board with straps it's not so bad cause you can
          keep the kite moving around and just get in and go. But wakeboard bindings
          are another matter. When 75% of your attention is on getting in bindings
          and the other 75% (!!) on dealing with luffs it can get ugly. A 3 or 4-line
          set up is preffered IMHO cause you can often recover by a quick snap on the
          brakes. On the other hand, once you get going it's easier to deal with.
          Many's the time that I've recovered from a gust-induced luff when fully
          locked in but sharply turning upwind to snap the lines tight. The first
          time I couldn't believe that it really worked, but it does!

          -D
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 2, 2001

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 3, 2001
              Kenny,

              > I see two big problems with foils in light gusty inland conditions:
              > 1. Folding: I had terrible problems with the kite folding in a brief
              > lull and then reopening right before the kite hit the water. This
              > mades for some brutal body drags (resulting in several broken board
              > leashes and a broken kite line).

              All kites would collapse in very gusty wind (both light or strong
              wind). When a foil collapse, it folds itself and you can pull on the
              lines (walk or swim backward) to get it back to shape. When an
              inflatable collapse it simply falls and there is NOTHING you can do
              about it. In its first few weeks of use, I got my AR5 5.5 fall down in
              a pile of rocks and damage the front leading edge. I still have numerous
              tapes on the front leading edge of my AR5 5.5 to remind me of that
              event.

              Since then I have learned how to deal with the situation. Kites will
              collapse in gusty wind if you fly them using only the front lines (both
              for foils and inflatables). By keeping some tension on the back lines,
              you can prevent them from collapsing in gusty wind.

              > 2. Long lulls - foils take on water after a few minutes on the
              > water. Inflatables rule in this dept.

              That's what I used to believe but changed my belief after using the New
              Wave and also the JOJO Rage yesterday. A modern foil floats longer and
              relaunch easier in very little wind that unless the long lulls is less
              than 5 knots it should not be a problem relaunching them (I had numerous
              crashes with the New Wave and the JOJO Rage and so far be able to
              relaunch them with minimum effort)

              Furthermore, I may start using wakeboard and binding in the future after
              seeing Luke Stanek from JOJO kite doing
              the following:
              1- Launch the kite
              2- Walk into shallow water (or drag into deep water)
              3- Active the safety leash to land the kite straight down wind
              4- Get into the binding with "both hands"
              5- Grab the bar, launch the kite easily and start sailing

              Of all the methods of getting into the binding, this is the only one I
              think is "civilized", safe enough and may "lure" me into using it.

              P.S., I made some of the highest jumps around here yesterday with the
              JOJO Rage 4.0 m2 (very gusty wind, no depower rig setup). A high
              performance foil for medium and high wind will definitely be part of my
              kite quiver in the future.

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 3, 2001
                Rick Iossi wrote:
                > I have a AR5 5.5 m as well but have only had enough wind to use it twice.
                > Both times the wind was in the high 30 mph range. I have heard that the 5.5
                > m jellyfishes badly in high wind. I have yet to experience that. What has
                > your experience been? That must have been some session. Did your kite
                > stall much?

                I don't think the 5.5 jellyfishes worse than the 11.5. Besides, I find
                the jellyfish "problem" is fun once you are prepared for the "rush".

                Yes, it was some session and I wished I had the nerve to go out with the
                4 lined Wipika Classis 3.5 with 15m line in 35+ knots (I call it quit
                after failing to launch the Wipika Classic 3.5 with 30m line)

                Hung.
              • kitesrfer@aol.com
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 3, 2001
                  Hung,

                  That is interesting that you have had a similar experience with the 5.5 m. I
                  have had it out close to 40 mph and it was still very well behaved and on 30
                  m lines. My old 7.5 m, above the "sweet" wind range would become almost
                  uncontrollable with violent jellyfishing along with folding back wing tips.
                  It worked very well below that "terminal resonance" windspeed. It is
                  interesting that the 5.5 was much more manageable than an old two lined
                  Wipika classic that I once used in 40 to 45 mph winds. Much above 40 mph I
                  did the "hungery porpose manuver". High winds are fun but I am glad that
                  they are rare. I hope to last longer!

                  Rick

                • fernmanus@yahoo.com
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 5, 2001
                    Hung,

                    Let's go back to what I was talking about. I agree that foils make
                    sense in moderate/strong winds, but I am not so sure about light wind
                    conditions. In fact, I am considering buying a couple small foils
                    that I can use for kite surfing and kite skiing. Hung, do you
                    recommend the JoJo? If so, why?

                    It is not such a big deal when your small kite folds. However, when
                    it happens on a 3-line 9.3 New Wave and the kite finally decides to
                    respond and open up 5 feet above the water with the lines twisted a
                    couple times - WATCH OUT!!! You are going to get seriously dragged.

                    My 9.3 New Wave did take on water during lulls of more than a few
                    minutes and would not relaunch.

                    I get into my wakeboard bindings by flying the kite out away from
                    shore and then hooking into the trim loop. I usually fly the kite so
                    that it is pulling me gradually away from shore and then hurry to get
                    the bindings on. I wouldn't call it easy, but with a little bit of
                    practise it is safe and no big deal.

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 5, 2001
                      Kenny,

                      > Let's go back to what I was talking about. I agree that foils make
                      > sense in moderate/strong winds, but I am not so sure about light wind
                      > conditions.

                      Light wind is where foils excel as in light wind you want a very high
                      performance kite and a very light kite. So far only foils and
                      C-Quad/Bean can deliver that type of characteristics.

                      I have been using the XXXL for more than 2 years (for both kitesurfing
                      and kiteskiing) and the Concept Air 12.5 and never have any problem with
                      them. Actually, the only "wish" I have is that they should be higher
                      performance and lighter (especially for the Concept air 12.5 due to its
                      use in even lighter wind)

                      > In fact, I am considering buying a couple small foils
                      > that I can use for kite surfing and kite skiing. Hung, do you
                      > recommend the JoJo? If so, why?

                      The only two medium/strong wind foils I ever flown are the New Wave 4.9
                      and the Jojo Rage 4.0 . So far they both work well. The Jojo Rage is a
                      higher performance one. Concept Air used to make the EX's Wave which is
                      of the same performance caliber as the Jojo Rage.

                      The reason I think medium/strong wind foil is of appeal for me is my
                      desire of jumping higher and the ability of using the same kite for both
                      kitesurfing and kiteskiing.

                      > It is not such a big deal when your small kite folds. However, when
                      > it happens on a 3-line 9.3 New Wave and the kite finally decides to
                      > respond and open up 5 feet above the water with the lines twisted a
                      > couple times - WATCH OUT!!! You are going to get seriously dragged.

                      If you use handle, just play with the brake lines to stall the kite. If
                      you use bar, pull on the center line to keep the kite under control.
                      It's easier to keep the kite under control and it fly whenever you are
                      ready. If worse come to worse, just drop the bar, you can relaunch the
                      kite later on with more control.

                      > My 9.3 New Wave did take on water during lulls of more than a few
                      > minutes and would not relaunch.

                      It's true that if you have the lulls less than 5 knots for a few
                      minutes, most foils would absorb so much water and won't relaunch. If
                      you go out in such light wind and want the ability to relaunch more
                      reliable, foils with inflatable cells such as the Mosquito and the Jojo
                      Wet is better.

                      I always use opened cell foils for light wind due to the closed cell
                      effect which make closed-cell foil not as good as opened cell foil in
                      light and gusty wind.

                      Hung.
                    • pault-colston
                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 5, 2001
                        you are all talking about 9.3 and 12.5 concept air i have a 6.3 new wave
                        which a fantasic kite. now need a light wind kite but hear anything bigger
                        is not to the same standard

                        ----------

                      • Mel
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 6, 2001
                          Hung Vu <hungvu@...> wrote:

                          > It's true that if you have the lulls less than 5 knots for a few
                          > minutes, most foils would absorb so much water and won't relaunch. If
                          > you go out in such light wind and want the ability to relaunch more
                          > reliable, foils with inflatable cells such as the Mosquito and the Jojo
                          > Wet is better.

                          I know it doesn't really come under the "foil" classification we're
                          discussing, but I had an ARC on the water for quite a while (a few minutes)
                          & it relaunched easily in a 5 knot puff.

                          Speaking of ARCs, stacking them for light wind performance seems to be
                          getting increasingly popular. I had to have it explained to me like this
                          before I finally understood the maneuverability issue: You're steering the
                          little kite on the bottom. IT pulls the bigger, upper kite with it, from
                          RIGHT THERE (faster response, due to 7m lines). Overall what happens is it
                          steers quicker than the big kite by itself !!

                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 6, 2001
                            Mel wrote:
                            > > It's true that if you have the lulls less than 5 knots for a few
                            > > minutes, most foils would absorb so much water and won't relaunch. If
                            > > you go out in such light wind and want the ability to relaunch more
                            > > reliable, foils with inflatable cells such as the Mosquito and the Jojo
                            > > Wet is better.
                            >
                            > I know it doesn't really come under the "foil" classification we're
                            > discussing, but I had an ARC on the water for quite a while (a few minutes)
                            > & it relaunched easily in a 5 knot puff.

                            I am not sure understand why an ARC, being heavier, would relaunch and a
                            high performance foil would not in the same condition...

                            Hung.
                          • Doug Adams (E-mail)
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 6, 2001
                              IMHO arcs launch so well because the angle of attack can be varied. Just
                              don't turn them inside out treating them like an inflatable while lying on
                              the water! A foil launching leading edge up downwind has tons of drag and
                              very little lift because the bridal sets the AOA at nearly 90 degrees
                              relative the wind. My experience is foils launch much better backward,
                              flying on their brakes, from downwind.

                              Doug

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 6, 2001

                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 6, 2001
                                  Doug Adams (E-mail) <rcpilot@...> wrote:

                                  >My experience is foils launch much better backward,
                                  > flying on their brakes, from downwind.

                                  It's supposed to be possible to do that with an ARC too, but I had to
                                  intentionally crash it LE down to try it, & by the time I'd adjusted my
                                  center strap all the way out the darn thing was airborne again! In other
                                  words, if you really want to try it, make sure you adjust your strap all the
                                  way out BEFORE you "land" it nose down, or it may relaunch on its own before
                                  you get a chance to try the reverse launch.

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 7, 2001
                                    Actually, the issue Kenny raised is that after staying in the water
                                    during a lull for a while (let's say 10 minutes of less than 5 knots),
                                    most closed-cells foil or Arc would absorb so much water that would
                                    render them un-relauncheable when the wind pick up. This is more to do
                                    with the ability of the kite keeping the water out. I notice that
                                    modern closed cell foils float better and are constructed better allow
                                    them to stay on the water longer.

                                    I had only one experience with the Arc kiteskiing in the winter in very
                                    light wind. We could relaunch foil easily (both LE up and LE down) and
                                    could not relaunch the Arc in that light wind (LE down).

                                    P.S., I am very intrigued about the novelty of the Arc and always try to
                                    think of a reason to buy one. I select inflatable for its reliable
                                    water relaunch and decent performance; I select a foil for higher
                                    performance/higher jump and light wind. Can someone shred a light why
                                    would I buy/try an Arc (stacking for light wind is not it as it sounds
                                    pretty complex and difficult)

                                    Hung.