RE: [ksurfschool] Foils and gusty wind myth!

  • Philip Mann
    Message 1 of 21 , Jul 1, 2001
      I totally agree!
      I have been using my F-ONEs in off shore gusty winds to take advantage of
      the smooth water.
      In a strong gust the foil rushes to the edge of the window very quickly
      allowing it to deposer by itself and then slows down in the lulls, it does
      luff a bit if the difference in wind strength in gust and luff is great, but
      it very rarely folds.

      Philip

      Inland Sea Windsurf Co and Kitesite.net
      1-888-465-2632
      1-802-862-3847
      www.inlandsea.com
      www.kitesite.net

      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 1, 2001
        FWIW, I think the issue here is how gusty is a gust. I suspect we may be
        comparing apples and oranges. I'm told that on Maui it can be blowing, say,
        15kts and all of a sudden it goes to 30 kts for a couple minutes, then back
        to15 again. On Long Island a gust would be more like blowing at 15kts and
        30 seconds of 18-20 kts then back to 15. Foils can easily handle the latter
        case. But I wouldn't want to be on a 7.5m foil in 15 kts and have it go to
        30! I can't imagine any way that would be managable.

        -Dave

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 2, 2001
          Being a landlocked sailor, I have windsurf/kitesurf at most popular
          places on earth (Canada, US, Europe, Caribbean, Mexico, Venezuela,
          Hawaii, Australia, etc.) I can say that Maui is on my prefer list of
          non-gusty wind location (strong but not gusty - I am talking about the
          North shore).

          Of all the places, home is where I find the most gusty condition when
          the wind blows over the tree and building before it gets to the lake
          (our side-slightly-off-shore condition).

          Wind range is the range of the wind speed from the beginning to the end
          of the session. Gust is the range of the wind in any 30 seconds
          period. In a day at home (yesterday in fact!), we may have a wind range
          of 5 - 45 knots and a gust of 50% - 100% increase in wind speed in any
          30 seconds period. What this means is a kite with larger wind range
          allow us to have a longer session and a kite with shorter wind range a
          shorter session.

          Only the inflatable can currently handle double wind speed wind range or
          100% increase in wind speed (e.g., 10 - 20 knots or 12 to 25 knots for
          me with my AR5 5.5). Normal foil probably 50% (10 - 15 knots) and new
          generation of foils such as the New Wave 75% (10 - 17.5 knots). If you
          add this range with proper edging skill, you can easily handle most
          gusts in the world with the inflatables or the newer generation of
          foils.

          The only advantage of inflatables over foils currently is wind-range,
          all the others are myths...*

          These myths are very similar to the Wipika Classic myth in the early
          day: "You can't go up wind with a Wipika Classic ..."

          Of course foils have other advantages over inflatables; however, they
          are the topics of another discussion...

          * I am not discussing about the intrinsic differences between foils and
          inflatables (drift-launching, pumping, kite maintenance, etc.)

          Hung.

        • kitesrfer@aol.com
          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 2, 2001
            Hung,

            You have hit some great spots. How was Australia, where did you end up over
            there? As to Maui being a non-gusty spot, don't go there in July! When I
            was out there I had the greatest gust range of anyplace that I have
            kitesurfed. Typically 20 to 35 to 38 mph with two days at 20 to 45 mph +!
            I was on a Wipika classic at the time, which was quite a handful as it was.
            I remember when they had the first King of the Air over there, Raphael S. of
            F one tried to fly a foil but it kept collasping and reinflating in lulls and
            gusts. I suspect current foils may be less prone to this performance.

            Of course Maui is a far cry from your 5 to 45 kt. experience. Under those
            conditions I think I would leave the kites at home and watch the birds try to
            deal with that. That could be pretty entertaining all by itself!

            Good winds,
            Rick

            <<

            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 2, 2001
              kitesrfer@... wrote:
              > Of course Maui is a far cry from your 5 to 45 kt. experience. Under those
              > conditions I think I would leave the kites at home and watch the birds try to
              > deal with that. That could be pretty entertaining all by itself!

              We actually went out for a 1 - 2 hours session! I used my AR5 5.5 with
              15 m line and Luke Stanek from JOJO with his JoJo Rage 4.0 m2 (he is
              here 1 or 2 days for product demo). We quitted when the wind become 35+
              knots (the windsurfers started rigging down to 3.x sails).

              Going from 30m line to 15m line add another 5-8 knots to the upper wind
              range of my AR5 5.5; however, it is harder to jump and jibe as thing is
              happening so fast with shorter line.

              Hung.
            • Rick Iossi
              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 2, 2001
                Hung,

                I have a AR5 5.5 m as well but have only had enough wind to use it twice.
                Both times the wind was in the high 30 mph range. I have heard that the 5.5
                m jellyfishes badly in high wind. I have yet to experience that. What has
                your experience been? That must have been some session. Did your kite
                stall much?

                Rick

                > > Of course Maui is a far cry from your 5 to 45 kt. experience. Under
                those
                > > conditions I think I would leave the kites at home and watch the birds
                try to
                > > deal with that. That could be pretty entertaining all by itself!
                >
                > We actually went out for a 1 - 2 hours session! I used my AR5 5.5 with
                > 15 m line and Luke Stanek from JOJO with his JoJo Rage 4.0 m2 (he is
                > here 1 or 2 days for product demo). We quitted when the wind become 35+
                > knots (the windsurfers started rigging down to 3.x sails).
                >
                > Going from 30m line to 15m line add another 5-8 knots to the upper wind
                > range of my AR5 5.5; however, it is harder to jump and jibe as thing is
                > happening so fast with shorter line.

              • Dave Raue
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 2, 2001
                  While I don't agree about the taking on water part (at least for Mosquitos),
                  I've suffered from the folding/luffing problem in light winds too. I've
                  found that if i'm using a board with straps it's not so bad cause you can
                  keep the kite moving around and just get in and go. But wakeboard bindings
                  are another matter. When 75% of your attention is on getting in bindings
                  and the other 75% (!!) on dealing with luffs it can get ugly. A 3 or 4-line
                  set up is preffered IMHO cause you can often recover by a quick snap on the
                  brakes. On the other hand, once you get going it's easier to deal with.
                  Many's the time that I've recovered from a gust-induced luff when fully
                  locked in but sharply turning upwind to snap the lines tight. The first
                  time I couldn't believe that it really worked, but it does!

                  -D
                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 2, 2001

                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 3, 2001
                      Kenny,

                      > I see two big problems with foils in light gusty inland conditions:
                      > 1. Folding: I had terrible problems with the kite folding in a brief
                      > lull and then reopening right before the kite hit the water. This
                      > mades for some brutal body drags (resulting in several broken board
                      > leashes and a broken kite line).

                      All kites would collapse in very gusty wind (both light or strong
                      wind). When a foil collapse, it folds itself and you can pull on the
                      lines (walk or swim backward) to get it back to shape. When an
                      inflatable collapse it simply falls and there is NOTHING you can do
                      about it. In its first few weeks of use, I got my AR5 5.5 fall down in
                      a pile of rocks and damage the front leading edge. I still have numerous
                      tapes on the front leading edge of my AR5 5.5 to remind me of that
                      event.

                      Since then I have learned how to deal with the situation. Kites will
                      collapse in gusty wind if you fly them using only the front lines (both
                      for foils and inflatables). By keeping some tension on the back lines,
                      you can prevent them from collapsing in gusty wind.

                      > 2. Long lulls - foils take on water after a few minutes on the
                      > water. Inflatables rule in this dept.

                      That's what I used to believe but changed my belief after using the New
                      Wave and also the JOJO Rage yesterday. A modern foil floats longer and
                      relaunch easier in very little wind that unless the long lulls is less
                      than 5 knots it should not be a problem relaunching them (I had numerous
                      crashes with the New Wave and the JOJO Rage and so far be able to
                      relaunch them with minimum effort)

                      Furthermore, I may start using wakeboard and binding in the future after
                      seeing Luke Stanek from JOJO kite doing
                      the following:
                      1- Launch the kite
                      2- Walk into shallow water (or drag into deep water)
                      3- Active the safety leash to land the kite straight down wind
                      4- Get into the binding with "both hands"
                      5- Grab the bar, launch the kite easily and start sailing

                      Of all the methods of getting into the binding, this is the only one I
                      think is "civilized", safe enough and may "lure" me into using it.

                      P.S., I made some of the highest jumps around here yesterday with the
                      JOJO Rage 4.0 m2 (very gusty wind, no depower rig setup). A high
                      performance foil for medium and high wind will definitely be part of my
                      kite quiver in the future.

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 3, 2001
                        Rick Iossi wrote:
                        > I have a AR5 5.5 m as well but have only had enough wind to use it twice.
                        > Both times the wind was in the high 30 mph range. I have heard that the 5.5
                        > m jellyfishes badly in high wind. I have yet to experience that. What has
                        > your experience been? That must have been some session. Did your kite
                        > stall much?

                        I don't think the 5.5 jellyfishes worse than the 11.5. Besides, I find
                        the jellyfish "problem" is fun once you are prepared for the "rush".

                        Yes, it was some session and I wished I had the nerve to go out with the
                        4 lined Wipika Classis 3.5 with 15m line in 35+ knots (I call it quit
                        after failing to launch the Wipika Classic 3.5 with 30m line)

                        Hung.
                      • kitesrfer@aol.com
                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 3, 2001
                          Hung,

                          That is interesting that you have had a similar experience with the 5.5 m. I
                          have had it out close to 40 mph and it was still very well behaved and on 30
                          m lines. My old 7.5 m, above the "sweet" wind range would become almost
                          uncontrollable with violent jellyfishing along with folding back wing tips.
                          It worked very well below that "terminal resonance" windspeed. It is
                          interesting that the 5.5 was much more manageable than an old two lined
                          Wipika classic that I once used in 40 to 45 mph winds. Much above 40 mph I
                          did the "hungery porpose manuver". High winds are fun but I am glad that
                          they are rare. I hope to last longer!

                          Rick

                        • fernmanus@yahoo.com
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 5, 2001
                            Hung,

                            Let's go back to what I was talking about. I agree that foils make
                            sense in moderate/strong winds, but I am not so sure about light wind
                            conditions. In fact, I am considering buying a couple small foils
                            that I can use for kite surfing and kite skiing. Hung, do you
                            recommend the JoJo? If so, why?

                            It is not such a big deal when your small kite folds. However, when
                            it happens on a 3-line 9.3 New Wave and the kite finally decides to
                            respond and open up 5 feet above the water with the lines twisted a
                            couple times - WATCH OUT!!! You are going to get seriously dragged.

                            My 9.3 New Wave did take on water during lulls of more than a few
                            minutes and would not relaunch.

                            I get into my wakeboard bindings by flying the kite out away from
                            shore and then hooking into the trim loop. I usually fly the kite so
                            that it is pulling me gradually away from shore and then hurry to get
                            the bindings on. I wouldn't call it easy, but with a little bit of
                            practise it is safe and no big deal.

                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 5, 2001
                              Kenny,

                              > Let's go back to what I was talking about. I agree that foils make
                              > sense in moderate/strong winds, but I am not so sure about light wind
                              > conditions.

                              Light wind is where foils excel as in light wind you want a very high
                              performance kite and a very light kite. So far only foils and
                              C-Quad/Bean can deliver that type of characteristics.

                              I have been using the XXXL for more than 2 years (for both kitesurfing
                              and kiteskiing) and the Concept Air 12.5 and never have any problem with
                              them. Actually, the only "wish" I have is that they should be higher
                              performance and lighter (especially for the Concept air 12.5 due to its
                              use in even lighter wind)

                              > In fact, I am considering buying a couple small foils
                              > that I can use for kite surfing and kite skiing. Hung, do you
                              > recommend the JoJo? If so, why?

                              The only two medium/strong wind foils I ever flown are the New Wave 4.9
                              and the Jojo Rage 4.0 . So far they both work well. The Jojo Rage is a
                              higher performance one. Concept Air used to make the EX's Wave which is
                              of the same performance caliber as the Jojo Rage.

                              The reason I think medium/strong wind foil is of appeal for me is my
                              desire of jumping higher and the ability of using the same kite for both
                              kitesurfing and kiteskiing.

                              > It is not such a big deal when your small kite folds. However, when
                              > it happens on a 3-line 9.3 New Wave and the kite finally decides to
                              > respond and open up 5 feet above the water with the lines twisted a
                              > couple times - WATCH OUT!!! You are going to get seriously dragged.

                              If you use handle, just play with the brake lines to stall the kite. If
                              you use bar, pull on the center line to keep the kite under control.
                              It's easier to keep the kite under control and it fly whenever you are
                              ready. If worse come to worse, just drop the bar, you can relaunch the
                              kite later on with more control.

                              > My 9.3 New Wave did take on water during lulls of more than a few
                              > minutes and would not relaunch.

                              It's true that if you have the lulls less than 5 knots for a few
                              minutes, most foils would absorb so much water and won't relaunch. If
                              you go out in such light wind and want the ability to relaunch more
                              reliable, foils with inflatable cells such as the Mosquito and the Jojo
                              Wet is better.

                              I always use opened cell foils for light wind due to the closed cell
                              effect which make closed-cell foil not as good as opened cell foil in
                              light and gusty wind.

                              Hung.
                            • pault-colston
                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 5, 2001
                                you are all talking about 9.3 and 12.5 concept air i have a 6.3 new wave
                                which a fantasic kite. now need a light wind kite but hear anything bigger
                                is not to the same standard

                                ----------

                              • Mel
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 6, 2001
                                  Hung Vu <hungvu@...> wrote:

                                  > It's true that if you have the lulls less than 5 knots for a few
                                  > minutes, most foils would absorb so much water and won't relaunch. If
                                  > you go out in such light wind and want the ability to relaunch more
                                  > reliable, foils with inflatable cells such as the Mosquito and the Jojo
                                  > Wet is better.

                                  I know it doesn't really come under the "foil" classification we're
                                  discussing, but I had an ARC on the water for quite a while (a few minutes)
                                  & it relaunched easily in a 5 knot puff.

                                  Speaking of ARCs, stacking them for light wind performance seems to be
                                  getting increasingly popular. I had to have it explained to me like this
                                  before I finally understood the maneuverability issue: You're steering the
                                  little kite on the bottom. IT pulls the bigger, upper kite with it, from
                                  RIGHT THERE (faster response, due to 7m lines). Overall what happens is it
                                  steers quicker than the big kite by itself !!

                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 6, 2001
                                    Mel wrote:
                                    > > It's true that if you have the lulls less than 5 knots for a few
                                    > > minutes, most foils would absorb so much water and won't relaunch. If
                                    > > you go out in such light wind and want the ability to relaunch more
                                    > > reliable, foils with inflatable cells such as the Mosquito and the Jojo
                                    > > Wet is better.
                                    >
                                    > I know it doesn't really come under the "foil" classification we're
                                    > discussing, but I had an ARC on the water for quite a while (a few minutes)
                                    > & it relaunched easily in a 5 knot puff.

                                    I am not sure understand why an ARC, being heavier, would relaunch and a
                                    high performance foil would not in the same condition...

                                    Hung.
                                  • Doug Adams (E-mail)
                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 6, 2001
                                      IMHO arcs launch so well because the angle of attack can be varied. Just
                                      don't turn them inside out treating them like an inflatable while lying on
                                      the water! A foil launching leading edge up downwind has tons of drag and
                                      very little lift because the bridal sets the AOA at nearly 90 degrees
                                      relative the wind. My experience is foils launch much better backward,
                                      flying on their brakes, from downwind.

                                      Doug

                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 6, 2001

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 6, 2001
                                          Doug Adams (E-mail) <rcpilot@...> wrote:

                                          >My experience is foils launch much better backward,
                                          > flying on their brakes, from downwind.

                                          It's supposed to be possible to do that with an ARC too, but I had to
                                          intentionally crash it LE down to try it, & by the time I'd adjusted my
                                          center strap all the way out the darn thing was airborne again! In other
                                          words, if you really want to try it, make sure you adjust your strap all the
                                          way out BEFORE you "land" it nose down, or it may relaunch on its own before
                                          you get a chance to try the reverse launch.

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 7, 2001
                                            Actually, the issue Kenny raised is that after staying in the water
                                            during a lull for a while (let's say 10 minutes of less than 5 knots),
                                            most closed-cells foil or Arc would absorb so much water that would
                                            render them un-relauncheable when the wind pick up. This is more to do
                                            with the ability of the kite keeping the water out. I notice that
                                            modern closed cell foils float better and are constructed better allow
                                            them to stay on the water longer.

                                            I had only one experience with the Arc kiteskiing in the winter in very
                                            light wind. We could relaunch foil easily (both LE up and LE down) and
                                            could not relaunch the Arc in that light wind (LE down).

                                            P.S., I am very intrigued about the novelty of the Arc and always try to
                                            think of a reason to buy one. I select inflatable for its reliable
                                            water relaunch and decent performance; I select a foil for higher
                                            performance/higher jump and light wind. Can someone shred a light why
                                            would I buy/try an Arc (stacking for light wind is not it as it sounds
                                            pretty complex and difficult)

                                            Hung.