Foils and gusty wind myth!

    Message 1 of 21 , Jun 30, 2001
      I always believed that foils are useless in gusty wind.

      I took my New Wave 4.9 m2 out yesterday in probably the most gusty wind
      we have around here (inland lake, roughly 2 x 6 km). I only had the 11.5
      and the New Wave 4.9 with me because the wind was lighter when I left
      home; otherwise, I would be afraid of the gusty wind and use the AR5 5.5
      instead.

      The New Wave 4.9 was doing OK, just as the AR5 would in this gusty
      condition.

      It could be the technique too as I normally don't use the "chicken loop"
      and rely more on board edging and the strap to adjust the power of the
      kite.

      Not bad for a used foil I bought last winter for roughly $250 USD!

      Hung.
    • Philip Mann
      Message 2 of 21 , Jul 1, 2001
        I totally agree!
        I have been using my F-ONEs in off shore gusty winds to take advantage of
        the smooth water.
        In a strong gust the foil rushes to the edge of the window very quickly
        allowing it to deposer by itself and then slows down in the lulls, it does
        luff a bit if the difference in wind strength in gust and luff is great, but
        it very rarely folds.

        Philip

        Inland Sea Windsurf Co and Kitesite.net
        1-888-465-2632
        1-802-862-3847
        www.inlandsea.com
        www.kitesite.net

        Message 3 of 21 , Jul 1, 2001
          FWIW, I think the issue here is how gusty is a gust. I suspect we may be
          comparing apples and oranges. I'm told that on Maui it can be blowing, say,
          15kts and all of a sudden it goes to 30 kts for a couple minutes, then back
          to15 again. On Long Island a gust would be more like blowing at 15kts and
          30 seconds of 18-20 kts then back to 15. Foils can easily handle the latter
          case. But I wouldn't want to be on a 7.5m foil in 15 kts and have it go to
          30! I can't imagine any way that would be managable.

          -Dave

          Message 4 of 21 , Jul 2, 2001
            Being a landlocked sailor, I have windsurf/kitesurf at most popular
            places on earth (Canada, US, Europe, Caribbean, Mexico, Venezuela,
            Hawaii, Australia, etc.) I can say that Maui is on my prefer list of
            non-gusty wind location (strong but not gusty - I am talking about the
            North shore).

            Of all the places, home is where I find the most gusty condition when
            the wind blows over the tree and building before it gets to the lake
            (our side-slightly-off-shore condition).

            Wind range is the range of the wind speed from the beginning to the end
            of the session. Gust is the range of the wind in any 30 seconds
            period. In a day at home (yesterday in fact!), we may have a wind range
            of 5 - 45 knots and a gust of 50% - 100% increase in wind speed in any
            30 seconds period. What this means is a kite with larger wind range
            allow us to have a longer session and a kite with shorter wind range a
            shorter session.

            Only the inflatable can currently handle double wind speed wind range or
            100% increase in wind speed (e.g., 10 - 20 knots or 12 to 25 knots for
            me with my AR5 5.5). Normal foil probably 50% (10 - 15 knots) and new
            generation of foils such as the New Wave 75% (10 - 17.5 knots). If you
            add this range with proper edging skill, you can easily handle most
            gusts in the world with the inflatables or the newer generation of
            foils.

            The only advantage of inflatables over foils currently is wind-range,
            all the others are myths...*

            These myths are very similar to the Wipika Classic myth in the early
            day: "You can't go up wind with a Wipika Classic ..."

            Of course foils have other advantages over inflatables; however, they
            are the topics of another discussion...

            * I am not discussing about the intrinsic differences between foils and
            inflatables (drift-launching, pumping, kite maintenance, etc.)

            Hung.

          • kitesrfer@aol.com
            Message 5 of 21 , Jul 2, 2001
              Hung,

              You have hit some great spots. How was Australia, where did you end up over
              there? As to Maui being a non-gusty spot, don't go there in July! When I
              was out there I had the greatest gust range of anyplace that I have
              kitesurfed. Typically 20 to 35 to 38 mph with two days at 20 to 45 mph +!
              I was on a Wipika classic at the time, which was quite a handful as it was.
              I remember when they had the first King of the Air over there, Raphael S. of
              F one tried to fly a foil but it kept collasping and reinflating in lulls and
              gusts. I suspect current foils may be less prone to this performance.

              Of course Maui is a far cry from your 5 to 45 kt. experience. Under those
              conditions I think I would leave the kites at home and watch the birds try to
              deal with that. That could be pretty entertaining all by itself!

              Good winds,
              Rick

              <<

              Message 6 of 21 , Jul 2, 2001
                kitesrfer@... wrote:
                > Of course Maui is a far cry from your 5 to 45 kt. experience. Under those
                > conditions I think I would leave the kites at home and watch the birds try to
                > deal with that. That could be pretty entertaining all by itself!

                We actually went out for a 1 - 2 hours session! I used my AR5 5.5 with
                15 m line and Luke Stanek from JOJO with his JoJo Rage 4.0 m2 (he is
                here 1 or 2 days for product demo). We quitted when the wind become 35+
                knots (the windsurfers started rigging down to 3.x sails).

                Going from 30m line to 15m line add another 5-8 knots to the upper wind
                range of my AR5 5.5; however, it is harder to jump and jibe as thing is
                happening so fast with shorter line.

                Hung.
              • Rick Iossi
                Message 7 of 21 , Jul 2, 2001
                  Hung,

                  I have a AR5 5.5 m as well but have only had enough wind to use it twice.
                  Both times the wind was in the high 30 mph range. I have heard that the 5.5
                  m jellyfishes badly in high wind. I have yet to experience that. What has
                  your experience been? That must have been some session. Did your kite
                  stall much?

                  Rick

                  Message 8 of 21 , Jul 2, 2001
                    While I don't agree about the taking on water part (at least for Mosquitos),
                    I've suffered from the folding/luffing problem in light winds too. I've
                    found that if i'm using a board with straps it's not so bad cause you can
                    keep the kite moving around and just get in and go. But wakeboard bindings
                    are another matter. When 75% of your attention is on getting in bindings
                    and the other 75% (!!) on dealing with luffs it can get ugly. A 3 or 4-line
                    set up is preffered IMHO cause you can often recover by a quick snap on the
                    brakes. On the other hand, once you get going it's easier to deal with.
                    Many's the time that I've recovered from a gust-induced luff when fully
                    locked in but sharply turning upwind to snap the lines tight. The first
                    time I couldn't believe that it really worked, but it does!

                    -D
                    Message 9 of 21 , Jul 2, 2001

                      Message 10 of 21 , Jul 3, 2001
                        Kenny,

                        > I see two big problems with foils in light gusty inland conditions:
                        > 1. Folding: I had terrible problems with the kite folding in a brief
                        > lull and then reopening right before the kite hit the water. This
                        > mades for some brutal body drags (resulting in several broken board
                        > leashes and a broken kite line).

                        All kites would collapse in very gusty wind (both light or strong
                        wind). When a foil collapse, it folds itself and you can pull on the
                        lines (walk or swim backward) to get it back to shape. When an
                        inflatable collapse it simply falls and there is NOTHING you can do
                        about it. In its first few weeks of use, I got my AR5 5.5 fall down in
                        a pile of rocks and damage the front leading edge. I still have numerous
                        tapes on the front leading edge of my AR5 5.5 to remind me of that
                        event.

                        Since then I have learned how to deal with the situation. Kites will
                        collapse in gusty wind if you fly them using only the front lines (both
                        for foils and inflatables). By keeping some tension on the back lines,
                        you can prevent them from collapsing in gusty wind.

                        > 2. Long lulls - foils take on water after a few minutes on the
                        > water. Inflatables rule in this dept.

                        That's what I used to believe but changed my belief after using the New
                        Wave and also the JOJO Rage yesterday. A modern foil floats longer and
                        relaunch easier in very little wind that unless the long lulls is less
                        than 5 knots it should not be a problem relaunching them (I had numerous
                        crashes with the New Wave and the JOJO Rage and so far be able to
                        relaunch them with minimum effort)

                        Furthermore, I may start using wakeboard and binding in the future after
                        seeing Luke Stanek from JOJO kite doing
                        the following:
                        1- Launch the kite
                        2- Walk into shallow water (or drag into deep water)
                        3- Active the safety leash to land the kite straight down wind
                        4- Get into the binding with "both hands"
                        5- Grab the bar, launch the kite easily and start sailing

                        Of all the methods of getting into the binding, this is the only one I
                        think is "civilized", safe enough and may "lure" me into using it.

                        P.S., I made some of the highest jumps around here yesterday with the
                        JOJO Rage 4.0 m2 (very gusty wind, no depower rig setup). A high
                        performance foil for medium and high wind will definitely be part of my
                        kite quiver in the future.

                        Message 11 of 21 , Jul 3, 2001
                          Rick Iossi wrote:
                          > I have a AR5 5.5 m as well but have only had enough wind to use it twice.
                          > Both times the wind was in the high 30 mph range. I have heard that the 5.5
                          > m jellyfishes badly in high wind. I have yet to experience that. What has
                          > your experience been? That must have been some session. Did your kite
                          > stall much?

                          I don't think the 5.5 jellyfishes worse than the 11.5. Besides, I find
                          the jellyfish "problem" is fun once you are prepared for the "rush".

                          Yes, it was some session and I wished I had the nerve to go out with the
                          4 lined Wipika Classis 3.5 with 15m line in 35+ knots (I call it quit
                          after failing to launch the Wipika Classic 3.5 with 30m line)

                          Hung.
                        • kitesrfer@aol.com
                          Message 12 of 21 , Jul 3, 2001
                            Hung,

                            That is interesting that you have had a similar experience with the 5.5 m. I
                            have had it out close to 40 mph and it was still very well behaved and on 30
                            m lines. My old 7.5 m, above the "sweet" wind range would become almost
                            uncontrollable with violent jellyfishing along with folding back wing tips.
                            It worked very well below that "terminal resonance" windspeed. It is
                            interesting that the 5.5 was much more manageable than an old two lined
                            Wipika classic that I once used in 40 to 45 mph winds. Much above 40 mph I
                            did the "hungery porpose manuver". High winds are fun but I am glad that
                            they are rare. I hope to last longer!

                            Rick

                          • fernmanus@yahoo.com
                            Message 13 of 21 , Jul 5, 2001
                              Hung,

                              Let's go back to what I was talking about. I agree that foils make
                              sense in moderate/strong winds, but I am not so sure about light wind
                              conditions. In fact, I am considering buying a couple small foils
                              that I can use for kite surfing and kite skiing. Hung, do you
                              recommend the JoJo? If so, why?

                              It is not such a big deal when your small kite folds. However, when
                              it happens on a 3-line 9.3 New Wave and the kite finally decides to
                              respond and open up 5 feet above the water with the lines twisted a
                              couple times - WATCH OUT!!! You are going to get seriously dragged.

                              My 9.3 New Wave did take on water during lulls of more than a few
                              minutes and would not relaunch.

                              I get into my wakeboard bindings by flying the kite out away from
                              shore and then hooking into the trim loop. I usually fly the kite so
                              that it is pulling me gradually away from shore and then hurry to get
                              the bindings on. I wouldn't call it easy, but with a little bit of
                              practise it is safe and no big deal.

                              Message 14 of 21 , Jul 5, 2001
                                Kenny,

                                > Let's go back to what I was talking about. I agree that foils make
                                > sense in moderate/strong winds, but I am not so sure about light wind
                                > conditions.

                                Light wind is where foils excel as in light wind you want a very high
                                performance kite and a very light kite. So far only foils and
                                C-Quad/Bean can deliver that type of characteristics.

                                I have been using the XXXL for more than 2 years (for both kitesurfing
                                and kiteskiing) and the Concept Air 12.5 and never have any problem with
                                them. Actually, the only "wish" I have is that they should be higher
                                performance and lighter (especially for the Concept air 12.5 due to its
                                use in even lighter wind)

                                > In fact, I am considering buying a couple small foils
                                > that I can use for kite surfing and kite skiing. Hung, do you
                                > recommend the JoJo? If so, why?

                                The only two medium/strong wind foils I ever flown are the New Wave 4.9
                                and the Jojo Rage 4.0 . So far they both work well. The Jojo Rage is a
                                higher performance one. Concept Air used to make the EX's Wave which is
                                of the same performance caliber as the Jojo Rage.

                                The reason I think medium/strong wind foil is of appeal for me is my
                                desire of jumping higher and the ability of using the same kite for both
                                kitesurfing and kiteskiing.

                                > It is not such a big deal when your small kite folds. However, when
                                > it happens on a 3-line 9.3 New Wave and the kite finally decides to
                                > respond and open up 5 feet above the water with the lines twisted a
                                > couple times - WATCH OUT!!! You are going to get seriously dragged.

                                If you use handle, just play with the brake lines to stall the kite. If
                                you use bar, pull on the center line to keep the kite under control.
                                It's easier to keep the kite under control and it fly whenever you are
                                ready. If worse come to worse, just drop the bar, you can relaunch the
                                kite later on with more control.

                                > My 9.3 New Wave did take on water during lulls of more than a few
                                > minutes and would not relaunch.

                                It's true that if you have the lulls less than 5 knots for a few
                                minutes, most foils would absorb so much water and won't relaunch. If
                                you go out in such light wind and want the ability to relaunch more
                                reliable, foils with inflatable cells such as the Mosquito and the Jojo
                                Wet is better.

                                I always use opened cell foils for light wind due to the closed cell
                                effect which make closed-cell foil not as good as opened cell foil in
                                light and gusty wind.

                                Hung.
                              • pault-colston
                                Message 15 of 21 , Jul 5, 2001
                                  you are all talking about 9.3 and 12.5 concept air i have a 6.3 new wave
                                  which a fantasic kite. now need a light wind kite but hear anything bigger
                                  is not to the same standard

                                  ----------

                                • Mel
                                  Message 16 of 21 , Jul 6, 2001
                                    Hung Vu <hungvu@...> wrote:

                                    > It's true that if you have the lulls less than 5 knots for a few
                                    > minutes, most foils would absorb so much water and won't relaunch. If
                                    > you go out in such light wind and want the ability to relaunch more
                                    > reliable, foils with inflatable cells such as the Mosquito and the Jojo
                                    > Wet is better.

                                    I know it doesn't really come under the "foil" classification we're
                                    discussing, but I had an ARC on the water for quite a while (a few minutes)
                                    & it relaunched easily in a 5 knot puff.

                                    Speaking of ARCs, stacking them for light wind performance seems to be
                                    getting increasingly popular. I had to have it explained to me like this
                                    before I finally understood the maneuverability issue: You're steering the
                                    little kite on the bottom. IT pulls the bigger, upper kite with it, from
                                    RIGHT THERE (faster response, due to 7m lines). Overall what happens is it
                                    steers quicker than the big kite by itself !!

                                    Message 17 of 21 , Jul 6, 2001
                                      Mel wrote:
                                      > > It's true that if you have the lulls less than 5 knots for a few
                                      > > minutes, most foils would absorb so much water and won't relaunch. If
                                      > > you go out in such light wind and want the ability to relaunch more
                                      > > reliable, foils with inflatable cells such as the Mosquito and the Jojo
                                      > > Wet is better.
                                      >
                                      > I know it doesn't really come under the "foil" classification we're
                                      > discussing, but I had an ARC on the water for quite a while (a few minutes)
                                      > & it relaunched easily in a 5 knot puff.

                                      I am not sure understand why an ARC, being heavier, would relaunch and a
                                      high performance foil would not in the same condition...

                                      Hung.
                                    • Doug Adams (E-mail)
                                      Message 18 of 21 , Jul 6, 2001
                                        IMHO arcs launch so well because the angle of attack can be varied. Just
                                        don't turn them inside out treating them like an inflatable while lying on
                                        the water! A foil launching leading edge up downwind has tons of drag and
                                        very little lift because the bridal sets the AOA at nearly 90 degrees
                                        relative the wind. My experience is foils launch much better backward,
                                        flying on their brakes, from downwind.

                                        Doug

                                        Message 19 of 21 , Jul 6, 2001

                                          Message 20 of 21 , Jul 6, 2001
                                            Doug Adams (E-mail) <rcpilot@...> wrote:

                                            >My experience is foils launch much better backward,
                                            > flying on their brakes, from downwind.

                                            It's supposed to be possible to do that with an ARC too, but I had to
                                            intentionally crash it LE down to try it, & by the time I'd adjusted my
                                            center strap all the way out the darn thing was airborne again! In other
                                            words, if you really want to try it, make sure you adjust your strap all the
                                            way out BEFORE you "land" it nose down, or it may relaunch on its own before
                                            you get a chance to try the reverse launch.

                                            Message 21 of 21 , Jul 7, 2001
                                              Actually, the issue Kenny raised is that after staying in the water
                                              during a lull for a while (let's say 10 minutes of less than 5 knots),
                                              most closed-cells foil or Arc would absorb so much water that would
                                              render them un-relauncheable when the wind pick up. This is more to do
                                              with the ability of the kite keeping the water out. I notice that
                                              modern closed cell foils float better and are constructed better allow
                                              them to stay on the water longer.

                                              I had only one experience with the Arc kiteskiing in the winter in very
                                              light wind. We could relaunch foil easily (both LE up and LE down) and
                                              could not relaunch the Arc in that light wind (LE down).

                                              P.S., I am very intrigued about the novelty of the Arc and always try to
                                              think of a reason to buy one. I select inflatable for its reliable
                                              water relaunch and decent performance; I select a foil for higher
                                              performance/higher jump and light wind. Can someone shred a light why
                                              would I buy/try an Arc (stacking for light wind is not it as it sounds
                                              pretty complex and difficult)

                                              Hung.