Re: Progressive kite – 3 killer questions

  • fernmanus@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 26, 2001
      I agree with Dwight's recommendations concerning kites.

      Regarding the 69 Lightwave. I am a true believer in this board. It
      is worth paying extra for this board for two reasons. 1. It is
      incredibly durable. 2. The bottom surface of the board (called
      durasurf) is P-Tex, just like a good pair of skis or a snowboard.
      This board feels so smooth on the water, better than any other board
      I have tried.

      Kenny

      > > Dwight et al
      > >
      > > Im going to choose a progressive kite for learning on – 2/4 line
      I suppose?
      > > I weigh 85 kg, windsurfed for years and have already flown and
      body dragged
      > > for a few days with the Free Air 6.5, 11.5 and a Torque 8.8 -
      and flown the
      > > small Flexi 6 for the last 6 months.
      > > Oh yeah - And Im looking to get good fast!
      > >
      > > My poss Kite choice is the predictable trio of FreeAir 8.9, CO2
      8.5 or R3
      > > 9/11m
      > >
      > > Now to the three killer questions:
      > >
      > > 1) The R3 9m has a projected area of just approx 6.6m right? So
      maybe I
      > > need to be looking at the 11m to get the same power as the Wipi
      or Co2??
      > > But in the UK kitesurf mag the R3 9m was reviewed as being
      marginally more
      > > powerful than the Co2 8.5. Is power just a function of proj
      area?? Damn
      > > stupid sizing!
      >
      > The lower aspect kites don't have a great difference in sizing vs
      power like the high aspect kites,
      > so don't worry too much about the numbers.
      >

      > > 2) The CO2 has the best looking bar setup easily – but what about
      the kite
      > > itself ie the flight and construction? Both the R3 and FreeAir
      have
      > > substantial "leather like" reinforcements on the leading strut.
      The co2
      > > has tiny (1cm wide x 7cm long) strips of covered foam? Any
      thoughts?? The
      > > Co2 also uses non-return valves – would these be a bonus or a
      pain??

      > Non returns valves are not needed. Once you get the technique down,
      they are not worth having. These
      > tiny strips are hurting CO2 sales here too. I have not flown the
      Naish or Cabrinha.

      > > 3) The Wipi FreeAir looks well made and has top feedback from the
      forum –
      > > but the bar etc *looks* pretty amateurish compared to the other
      two. Is
      > > this important? Does it function well ?? (I have to buy all
      three options
      > > complete with bars etc – I cannot do kite only)
      >
      > The crappy bar doesn't matter because Wipika will sell the kite
      without the bar, Cabrinha and Naish