Progressive kite – 3 killer questions

  • steve north
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 26, 2001
      Dwight et al

      Im going to choose a progressive kite for learning on � 2/4 line I suppose?
      I weigh 85 kg, windsurfed for years and have already flown and body dragged
      for a few days with the Free Air 6.5, 11.5 and a Torque 8.8 - and flown the
      small Flexi 6 for the last 6 months.
      Oh yeah - And Im looking to get good fast!

      My poss Kite choice is the predictable trio of FreeAir 8.9, CO2 8.5 or R3
      9/11m

      Now to the three killer questions:

      1) The R3 9m has a projected area of just approx 6.6m right? So maybe I
      need to be looking at the 11m to get the same power as the Wipi or Co2??
      But in the UK kitesurf mag the R3 9m was reviewed as being marginally more
      powerful than the Co2 8.5. Is power just a function of proj area?? Damn
      stupid sizing!

      2) The CO2 has the best looking bar setup easily � but what about the kite
      itself ie the flight and construction? Both the R3 and FreeAir have
      substantial �leather like� reinforcements on the leading strut. The co2
      has tiny (1cm wide x 7cm long) strips of covered foam? Any thoughts?? The
      Co2 also uses non-return valves � would these be a bonus or a pain??

      3) The Wipi FreeAir looks well made and has top feedback from the forum �
      but the bar etc *looks* pretty amateurish compared to the other two. Is
      this important? Does it function well ?? (I have to buy all three options
      complete with bars etc � I cannot do kite only)

      PS
      Is the Lightwave 69 worth the extra cash??

      Best Regards,
      Steven