helium in Mossie 9+ ! ! !

  • theraves@optonline.net
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 20, 2001
      As promised long ago I tried it a couple weeks back but forgot to
      post the outcome - it was that unspectacular. I got a party ballon
      tank at Sam's Club for about $25. this bought me a gas grill-sized
      tank and nozzle and a bunch of balloons. The tank was plenty to fill
      all the bags in the kite with He to spare. this was NOT enough to
      actually float the kite. Wind got up to low teens, plenty of wind
      for the 9+. I stuck with a directional cause of shore break hassles.

      Anyway, I really didn't see much difference in how the kite flew. It
      didn't luff or stall, but the wind was steady and that isn't usually
      a problem for me anyway. So it was pretty hard to say whether the
      helium was really helping matters any. the bottom line was, whatever
      the helium may have done was far less than the normal variability
      from wind, board, etc. I did it as a lark without any real
      expectations. Don't waste time with this.

      -Dave