Kitemare

  • Farnsworth, Kenny
    Message 1 of 1 , May 8, 2000
      Kite Boarding Magazine eliminated the Kitemare Segment. I thought I would
      share mine with all of you..

      I went to Utah Lake with my wife and 3 kids. The winds were blowing around
      30 mph with some gusts stronger gusts from the North. I decided to go ahead
      and launch my Naish 5.0 from my boat even though I knew that I would be way
      overpowered. My youngest daughter was panicked and crying due to the large
      swell. After assembling the kite I jumped in the water and quickly
      unwrapped the lines from the control bar as my wife held on to the kite.
      Before I could even put on the safety release, I was being dragged through
      the water by the force of the wind pushing the boat. My wife could no
      longer hold onto the kite, so I told her to go ahead and let go.
      Unfortunately, the safety release was wrapped around the opposite line. The
      kite immediately pulled to the right twisting the line a couple times. I
      was able to fly the kite to the neutral zone, but I could not control it
      with the lines twisted and when I tried to spin in the water, the kite
      dropped back down into the power zone and began twisting over and over. I
      was mercilessly dragged through the 4 - 5 foot swells at high speed as the
      kite continued to twist in the air. I just kept my head up and tried not to
      swallow half the lake. I let go of the control bar and held onto the safety
      release, but the kite did not depower. So I continued to drag through the
      water using both hands to hang onto the safety release. After about 10
      minutes the safety release broke and the kite continued to fly downwind
      (still twisting over and over). My wife came and picked me up in the boat.
      Fortunately, the lines has twisted so many times that the kite finally
      depowered.

      I learned a couple lessons. 1. As a beginner, don't try to fly a kite that
      is too large for the present wind conditions. 2. If your safety release is
      wrapped around the other line, don't try to fly your kite. It will just
      twist the lines 3. A boat is very useful when you decide to do something
      really stupid and you need to be rescued. 4. If I had a reel, I would have
      had a real shot at flying in these conditions because I could fly a much
      shorter line thereby greatly reducing the power of the kite.

      Still addicted,