Re: wake vs. directional round 3 :)

  • fernmanus@yahoo.com
    Message 1 of 13 , Jun 11, 2001
      Mel,

      Yeah, you can do some cool jibes on a bidirectional that are really
      easy. I like to slide out the front end of the board and then do a
      big low carving jibe. You can easily lay one arm out across the
      water while doing this move.

      The bottom surface of the RRD is different than the LW. The LW has a
      P-Tex surface used on most snow boards and skis (makes me wonder if
      waxing the board might make it even better). I have seen other
      bidirectionals with this type of surface, but I haven't tried them
      yet. I also use smaller fins on my LW than the ones that come
      standard on the RRD. Whatever board you choose, you do want to pay
      close attention to the fin size on a bidirectional. Deeper fins
      allow the board to track better, but it also makes it more difficult
      to release the board to do jibes, go toeside, etc. I kind of like
      the loose feeling of the LW. I tried a Manta bidirectional
      recently. The board feels like it is on rails which is great if you
      are super-powered up, but not so fun when you want to do a little
      free-style.

      Durability is important to me after I had an epoxy board damaged by
      Delta Airlines. I have also ridden my board in water than was only
      an inch deep and scraped the board along the bottom of the lake.
      Sounds stupid, but it was a blast to ride in perfectly flat shallow
      water. Of couse, it would have been very painful if I was pitched
      forward.

      Kenny

      --- In ksurfschool@y..., Mel <kitebord@p...> wrote:
      > <fernmanus@y...> wrote:
      >
      > > Don't get me wrong. I like a good jibe, but it is not a big issue
      > > with me.
      >
      > Whoops! I just read my quote. I meant to say ripping 240 degree
      arcs is
      > important TO ME.
      >
      > > There are some really fun jibes that you can do on a
      > > bidirectional.
      >
      > Yes. Heel turns, for example, and it does look cool to spin the
      board after
      > exiting (looks to the windsurfers like a difficult trick, but is
      really
      > quite easy), or throw up a huge wall of spray by sliding on the
      heel or toe
      > edge.
      >
      > > I am not exactly sure what makes the 169 Lightwave such a great
      > > board. I think it is a combination of the smooth surface on the
      > > bottom of the board and small fins.
      >
      > Aren't those characteristics normal on bidirectional boards? The
      RRDs both