My next board?

  • jeremybuzzard@yahoo.com.au
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 7, 2001
      Hey there.

      I have been kitesurfing since January or so and I'm flying an Arc
      630 and and riding a 7 foot Manta directional board (three fin). I
      weigh about 75kg.

      I found the big board great to get through the baby steps on - it
      was always easy to get up and very stable... But, I can't jibe to
      save myself, toeside is almost impossible with three footstraps,
      and while I can get upwind, it's not very well. I am thinking that
      next season I should probably go for a twin-tip. I'm not sure what
      to buy though.

      I have issues with using a wakeboard at this stage - the idea of
      having my feet in bindings seems a recipe to reinjure my knees,
      so I would prefer something reasonably floaty with straps. What
      should I get?

      Cheers
      Jeremy
    • fernmanus@yahoo.com
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 7, 2001
        Jeremy,

        I never bothered to learn how to jibe and you definitely don't have
        to learn.

        You can get footstraps on almost any bidirectional board. However, I
        recommend getting a simple sandal binding with heelstraps. This will
        give you more control, yet you can come out of them easily in a
        crash. The sandals from Nice are excellent.

        As far as a board goes, stay away from floaty boards. You want a
        board that will allow you to edge. I recommend trying an oversized
        bidirectional (around 5'6") I like the Lightwave Wake-N-Style and
        RRD boards. You can get either of these boards set up with
        footstraps, sandals, or full bindings. It may take a session or two
        to get used to a bidirectional. However, the switch is well worth
        it. You are going to have so much more fun riding powered-up on a bi-
        directional compared to cruising on a 7' board.

        Kenny