RE: [ksurfschool] Re: kit advice please!

  • xkites.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
      I know there's a battle between directionals and twins, and I don't want to
      get in the way of anyone's crusade, and honestly I think that as long as
      everyone's having a blast on the water, it doesn't matter what you've got on
      your feet.
      In my experience however, a twin/wakeboard (without bindings) has made the
      life of every beginner I know easier once they are already up and doing
      downwind runs, for 2 simple reasons: 1, you don't need to learn how to jibe.
      (it'll take you a good 2-3 months usually to get the jibe down). 2, most
      people find it much easier to stay upwind using a twin/wake board, because
      they find it easier to work the rails instead of the fin. So I would
      recommend you get a "bigger" twin/wake board.

      later,

      jeff

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
        xkites.com <info@...> wrote:

        > ...I don't want to
        > get in the way of anyone's crusade, and honestly I think that as long as
        > everyone's having a blast on the water, it doesn't matter what you've got
        on
        > your feet.

        Absolutely. I think the board is VERY unimportant, even compared to the
        kite (it's recently been discussed that even the kite type isn't very
        important, at least compared to kite size & skill). HOWEVER (please scrolll
        down):

        > In my experience however, a twin/wakeboard (without bindings) has made the
        > life of every beginner I know easier once they are already up and doing
        > downwind runs, for 2 simple reasons: 1, you don't need to learn how to
        jibe.
        > (it'll take you a good 2-3 months usually to get the jibe down).

        For non-windsurfers I'd agree, but the original post was from a 10-year
        windsurfer, so he should have nearly the same ease learning jibes as me (2
        years to get it with a sail, 2 ATTEMPTS to get it with a kite). I REALLY
        like carving high-g turns, yet I see better kiters than me who are unable to
        do that on their bi-directionals.

        > 2, most
        > people find it much easier to stay upwind using a twin/wake board, because
        > they find it easier to work the rails instead of the fin. So I would
        > recommend you get a "bigger" twin/wake board.

        Again, it may be my windsurfing background (like the original poster), but I
        learned to stay upwind MUCH faster than most locals (all ex-windsurfers),
        learning on a GIANT 7'6. The extra surface area lets you plane at a lower
        speed, so you can point higher before it stalls.

        In other words, for fun & ease of learning I recommend ex-windsurfers to go
        directional, & everybody else bi.

        Mel
      • Anthony
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 11, 2001
          Dude,

          After trying the underground twintip I can honestly reccomend it... it is real
          easu to get going and the edge engages sooo sweet!!!!

          To: <ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com>