Re: [ksurfschool] kit advice please!

  • Suntrax
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 1, 2001
      Hi Steve

      Have just returned from 3 weeks learning to kitesurf in the Canarie Islands
      and been through the whole kite/board size process.
      I am 82kg, 15 years windsurfing, same as you and saw over the period
      probably 25 people go through the learning process.
      I agree 100% with your thinking on kite size and 2-4 line convertibility.
      I also agree 100% with your thinking on board size for learning, the 7'0"
      will only hold you back, a 6'0'-6'6' is great. Am also probably going to go
      for a twin tip, probably +/-6'0", just try and get going on both tacks on
      the directional before actually trying to ride the TT.
      One piece of advice, DON'T let ANYBODY convince you to do any
      skidding,dragging or jumping on the beach, all the kite skills yes, but only
      drag on the water. I have an injured, possibly permanently, neck, from face
      planting on the beach, my head digging in and then my face snapping forward
      onto my chest, while hooked up in the harness.
      My last 2 weeks were spent at a VDWS (German) certified school at Flag
      Beach,Feurteventura and would highly recommend their teaching system.

      Hoping the above of help

      Good winds

      Brian

      Brian Wilson
      Suntrax
      027 21 5560044
      cell; 0824656696
      www.suntrax.co.za

      Message 2 of 6 , Jun 2, 2001
        Hi Steve
        If you are a good windsurfer, you will find the directional easiest
        to learn with (maybe about 6' 6"). After you get better you may
        switch to a twin tip/wakeboard or maybe not. Look at the pros in the
        kitesurf magazines and you see plenty of directionals. I enjoy riding
        on either.
        And a 2 line /4 line convertable kite is a good bet.
        Chris G

        --- In ksurfschool@y..., "steve north" <srnorth@h...> wrote:
        > Hi
        >
        > Ive just booked a 3 day kitesurfing course - and then hope to buy
        me own
        > kit this month
        >
        > I think i know the kinda kites to consider (7m/9m R3 or 7.1m /8.9m
        FreeAir
        > maybe) - that can be converted from 2 to 4 lines - seem OK?
        >
        > But am totally confused regarding boards:
        > Some folk seem to say go BIG (eg 7ft +) - but i dont want a board
        that i'll
        > outgrown in 3 months!
        > Others say go for a TwinTip - difficult at first but worth it in
        the longer
        > term
        > I was gonna go a for 6'6" directional (eg Juice, Sky pirate or
        > AirRush)......
        >
        > What d'ya think??
        > All advice greatly received
        >
        > FYI - I weigh about 80kg+, have windsurfed for about 10 yrs and
        have some
        > experience with a Flexi 6 (launching, landing, flying in /out of
        the power
        > zone, somersaults etc)
        >
        > Thanks!

      • xkites.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
          I know there's a battle between directionals and twins, and I don't want to
          get in the way of anyone's crusade, and honestly I think that as long as
          everyone's having a blast on the water, it doesn't matter what you've got on
          your feet.
          In my experience however, a twin/wakeboard (without bindings) has made the
          life of every beginner I know easier once they are already up and doing
          downwind runs, for 2 simple reasons: 1, you don't need to learn how to jibe.
          (it'll take you a good 2-3 months usually to get the jibe down). 2, most
          people find it much easier to stay upwind using a twin/wake board, because
          they find it easier to work the rails instead of the fin. So I would
          recommend you get a "bigger" twin/wake board.

          later,

          jeff

          If you are a good windsurfer, you will find the directional easiest
          to learn with (maybe about 6' 6"). After you get better you may
          switch to a twin tip/wakeboard or maybe not. Look at the pros in the
          kitesurf magazines and you see plenty of directionals. I enjoy riding
          on either.
          And a 2 line /4 line convertable kite is a good bet.
          Chris G

          --- In ksurfschool@y..., "steve north" <srnorth@h...> wrote:
          > Hi
          >
          > Ive just booked a 3 day kitesurfing course - and then hope to buy
          me own
          > kit this month
          >
          > I think i know the kinda kites to consider (7m/9m R3 or 7.1m /8.9m
          FreeAir
          > maybe) - that can be converted from 2 to 4 lines - seem OK?
          >
          > But am totally confused regarding boards:
          > Some folk seem to say go BIG (eg 7ft +) - but i dont want a board
          that i'll
          > outgrown in 3 months!
          > Others say go for a TwinTip - difficult at first but worth it in
          the longer
          > term
          > I was gonna go a for 6'6" directional (eg Juice, Sky pirate or
          > AirRush)......
          >
          > What d'ya think??
          > All advice greatly received
          >
          > FYI - I weigh about 80kg+, have windsurfed for about 10 yrs and
          have some
          > experience with a Flexi 6 (launching, landing, flying in /out of
          the power
          > zone, somersaults etc)
          >
          > Thanks!

        • Mel
          Message 4 of 6 , Jun 4, 2001
            xkites.com <info@...> wrote:

            > ...I don't want to
            > get in the way of anyone's crusade, and honestly I think that as long as
            > everyone's having a blast on the water, it doesn't matter what you've got
            on
            > your feet.

            Absolutely. I think the board is VERY unimportant, even compared to the
            kite (it's recently been discussed that even the kite type isn't very
            important, at least compared to kite size & skill). HOWEVER (please scrolll
            down):

            > In my experience however, a twin/wakeboard (without bindings) has made the
            > life of every beginner I know easier once they are already up and doing
            > downwind runs, for 2 simple reasons: 1, you don't need to learn how to
            jibe.
            > (it'll take you a good 2-3 months usually to get the jibe down).

            For non-windsurfers I'd agree, but the original post was from a 10-year
            windsurfer, so he should have nearly the same ease learning jibes as me (2
            years to get it with a sail, 2 ATTEMPTS to get it with a kite). I REALLY
            like carving high-g turns, yet I see better kiters than me who are unable to
            do that on their bi-directionals.

            > 2, most
            > people find it much easier to stay upwind using a twin/wake board, because
            > they find it easier to work the rails instead of the fin. So I would
            > recommend you get a "bigger" twin/wake board.

            Again, it may be my windsurfing background (like the original poster), but I
            learned to stay upwind MUCH faster than most locals (all ex-windsurfers),
            learning on a GIANT 7'6. The extra surface area lets you plane at a lower
            speed, so you can point higher before it stalls.

            In other words, for fun & ease of learning I recommend ex-windsurfers to go
            directional, & everybody else bi.

            Mel
          • Anthony
            Message 5 of 6 , Jun 11, 2001
              Dude,

              After trying the underground twintip I can honestly reccomend it... it is real
              easu to get going and the edge engages sooo sweet!!!!

              To: <ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com>