Re: [ksurfschool] First Time Up!

  • Kerry Brown
    Message 1 of 3 , May 5, 2000
      Kenny,

      Sounds exciting I also live in Utah and have been wanting to do some kitesurfing in Utah Lake west of Provo.  I am curious as to where you purchased the Kite.  Is there a shop around?  I've seen several windsurfers around and I know there is a somewhat active online Utah windsurfing community, any idea if there is any one else playing with Kite Surfing in the state?  Seems to me like lots of lakes and warm winds should be great for KiteSurfing.

      Thanks, Congradts, and Good Luck!
      Kerry Brown
      Provo, UT

      >>> kennyfarnsworth@... 05/05/00 08:02AM >>>
      After a couple hours of body dragging and fooling around with tangled bridle
      lines, lost kites, losing my harness, windless days, and other fiascoes, I
      was finally able to get up on the board!  I went to Rush Lake near Toole Army
      Depot (yes, the world's largest repository of chemical and biological weapons
      is stored there).  I used a Naish 9.0 kite and a Naish 7' 6" Board.  I know
      one thing, I am addicted!!!

      It was a great feeling even though I probably went 100 feet on the longest
      ride.  I had a difficult time obtaining the right amount of power.  I did
      several headfirst dives when I powered the kite up too much and I sank a
      number of times due to the lack of power.  I know that it will all come
      together with more practice and a more consistent wind.

      It took me awhile to get up on the board because I made a lot of dumb
      mistakes.  One time I did not attach my safety release properly and I ended
      up losing my kite and swimming across the lake.  Another time, I was already
      to go and my harness slipped off and fell into the water with my kite fully
      powered.  I had a kite line detach twice.  I have had a rats nest of twisted
      line in the middle of a lake a couple times after untangling a twisted bridle
      line on the kite (I really want a reel for this reason alone).  I am learning
      to take my time and make sure that everything is ready to go instead of
      hastily rushing out on the water.

      This sport is so much fun, I can't wait to do it again.

      Kenny
      Salt Lake City, Utah USA

    • Kerry Brown

        Message 3 of 3 , Dec 14, 2001
          Hi Kerry-
          I too live in Utah and am getting a kite set up, I know of one local
          shop
          www.talonsport.com
          I was going to check them out this weekend, on their web site
          they have a good bit on where to go in Utah and what spots are
          good for beginners.
          I know one other shop that I am a lot more familiar with, via a
          friend who happens to own a windsurf/kite shop and has a very
          large selection of inventory and does most of his business via
          the net (his shop is in VT where I lived prior to UT). Try
          kitesite.net and email phil. He is pretty experienced and based
          on my doing a lot of independent reading on forums etc.. he is
          pretty well informed and cares to take the time to get you into
          safe equipment that works for you. I hope to see you out in Ut
          next spring, perhaps we can help eachother! One other thing, I
          plan on going in the snow so contact me if your interested in this
          as well!
          Matt