First Time Up!

  • kennyfarnsworth@cs.com
    Message 1 of 1 , May 5, 2000
      After a couple hours of body dragging and fooling around with tangled bridle
      lines, lost kites, losing my harness, windless days, and other fiascoes, I
      was finally able to get up on the board! I went to Rush Lake near Toole Army
      Depot (yes, the world's largest repository of chemical and biological weapons
      is stored there). I used a Naish 9.0 kite and a Naish 7' 6" Board. I know
      one thing, I am addicted!!!

      It was a great feeling even though I probably went 100 feet on the longest
      ride. I had a difficult time obtaining the right amount of power. I did
      several headfirst dives when I powered the kite up too much and I sank a
      number of times due to the lack of power. I know that it will all come
      together with more practice and a more consistent wind.

      It took me awhile to get up on the board because I made a lot of dumb
      mistakes. One time I did not attach my safety release properly and I ended
      up losing my kite and swimming across the lake. Another time, I was already
      to go and my harness slipped off and fell into the water with my kite fully
      powered. I had a kite line detach twice. I have had a rats nest of twisted
      line in the middle of a lake a couple times after untangling a twisted bridle
      line on the kite (I really want a reel for this reason alone). I am learning
      to take my time and make sure that everything is ready to go instead of
      hastily rushing out on the water.

      This sport is so much fun, I can't wait to do it again.

      Kenny
      Salt Lake City, Utah USA