RE: [ksurfschool] Harness advice

  • Anton Potgieter
    Message 1 of 6 , May 30, 2001
      Hi

      Definitely a longer leash, attached to your harness. As for the harness,
      probably personal preference between seat and waist (anyone have other
      ideas?) - I use a Prolimit seat kite harness which is very comfortable and
      has not affected my back at all (I had an op 2 yrs ago) - although I also
      believe posture and fitness is 90% of it regardless of harness.

      I started out with an ankle leash on a directional - then changed to using a
      quick clip onto my harness when I got a new Prolimit kite harness (there are
      neat tags on the back to connect to). It is MUCH easier to clip in when on
      the beach after launching the kite, easier to get out of in trouble, and
      when you are floating around (attracting sharks or whatever!) the board
      floats nicely out of the way behind you until you need it. It also does not
      pull you off balance when dragging, and you have full leg movement to
      stabilize in the water if necessary. It is also far easier to reach down to
      your waist than your foot to retrieve the leash. I have had no trouble with
      the seat harness attachment, and would never go back to ankle. I also use a
      longish leash (about 6-8ft) which does not get in the way when riding but
      does keep the board at a nice distance when not on it. I now use a
      wakeboard, and still use the seat connection - same benefits. Good luck,
      try it and I am sure you will dig it!

      Regards,
      Anton.

      Message 2 of 6 , May 31, 2001
        I agree Anton. Everyone I know just uses their old windsurfing
        harness for kiteboarding. And clipping your leash to your harness is
        way easier than an ankle strap. It's another tip I learned on these
        Yahoo groups.

        Chris G

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
      • Anton Potgieter
        Message 3 of 6 , May 31, 2001
          I changed to a kitesurf harness because the hook on the windsurf harness was
          a bit small, so when I hooked both the main and trim loops into it, the main
          loop (hooked second) sometimes slipped out ... big wipe-out potential!

          Regards,
          Anton.

          I agree Anton. Everyone I know just uses their old windsurfing
          harness for kiteboarding. And clipping your leash to your harness is
          way easier than an ankle strap. It's another tip I learned on these
          Yahoo groups.

          Chris G

          --- In ksurfschool@y..., Anton Potgieter <apotgieter@t...> wrote:
          > Hi
          >
          > Definitely a longer leash, attached to your harness. As for the
          harness,
          > probably personal preference between seat and waist (anyone have
          other
          > ideas?) - I use a Prolimit seat kite harness which is very
          comfortable and
          > has not affected my back at all (I had an op 2 yrs ago) - although
          I also
          > believe posture and fitness is 90% of it regardless of harness.
          >
          > I started out with an ankle leash on a directional - then changed
          to using a
          > quick clip onto my harness when I got a new Prolimit kite harness
          (there are
          > neat tags on the back to connect to). It is MUCH easier to clip in
          when on
          > the beach after launching the kite, easier to get out of in
          trouble, and
          > when you are floating around (attracting sharks or whatever!) the
          board
          > floats nicely out of the way behind you until you need it. It also
          does not
          > pull you off balance when dragging, and you have full leg movement
          > stabilize in the water if necessary. It is also far easier to
          reach down to
          > your waist than your foot to retrieve the leash. I have had no
          trouble with
          > the seat harness attachment, and would never go back to ankle. I
          also use a
          > longish leash (about 6-8ft) which does not get in the way when
          riding but
          > does keep the board at a nice distance when not on it. I now use a
          > wakeboard, and still use the seat connection - same benefits. Good
          luck,
          > try it and I am sure you will dig it!
          >
          > Regards,
          > Anton.

        • k man
          Message 4 of 6 , May 31, 2001
            I am using the Naish Kitesurf waist harness. I like
            it much better than the Dakine Thermoform waist
            harness that I used last year. The Naish does not
            ride up as high when you are really overpowered
            allowing you to breathe.

            wrote:
            > I changed to a kitesurf harness because the hook on
            > the windsurf harness was
            > a bit small, so when I hooked both the main and trim
            > loops into it, the main
            > loop (hooked second) sometimes slipped out ... big
            > wipe-out potential!
            >
            > Regards,
            > Anton.

            a year! http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • Dave Raue
            Message 5 of 6 , May 31, 2001
              Try the new Dekine kitesurf harness (Fusion??) - it is outstanding, best
              I've tried by far. The Thermoform tends to ride up, even with seat
              attachement. so does the Speedseat. The fusion is almost a hybrid
              seat/waist, it's pretty high (like Thermoform) but very supportive and it
              stays put. It also has a nice grab-strap behind it for ehlpers to keep you
              on the ground during the launch or clipping your leash on.

              -Dave
              > I am using the Naish Kitesurf waist harness. I like
              > it much better than the Dakine Thermoform waist
              > harness that I used last year. The Naish does not
              > ride up as high when you are really overpowered
              > allowing you to breathe.
              >
              > --- Anton Potgieter <apotgieter@...>
              > wrote:
              > > I changed to a kitesurf harness because the hook on
              > > the windsurf harness was
              > > a bit small, so when I hooked both the main and trim
              > > loops into it, the main
              > > loop (hooked second) sometimes slipped out ... big
              > > wipe-out potential!
              > >
              > > Regards,
              > > Anton.

            • Mel
              Message 6 of 6 , May 31, 2001
                I started with a DaKine XTSeat/Reactor (roller hook), which worked fine with
                the two line kite (no trim loop to take up space on the hook), & with my
                "MelMods" (4-line, but still no trim LOOP). I switched later to a plain
                hook (stainless Windsurfing Hawaii), but only because it had a better
                attachment point for my trim line snap shackle. I chose stainless over
                aluminum because I could safely bend the hook slightly to my preference,
                without worrying about weakening it.

                There's nearly never any need to switch harnesses just to get a different
                bar, they're nearly always interchangeable. There's also no real need for a
                special leash attachment point on the harness, because the clip on the end
                of either of the DaKine directional leashes will clip right onto the slot in
                the end of either a plain or Reactor bar. Barring that, a stainless
                caribiner will also clip on there (you can tie a loop of line through the
                closed Velcro cuff, or through the swivel, after removing the screw that
                holds it onto the cuff).

                Recently I switched to a Fusion, but I'll be going back to the XT, because
                for ME the Fusion comes too high on the back (hits the bottom of my wetsuit
                zipper, & I can feel it against my back) AND the front (the big, wide Velcro
                waistband makes it hard to bend over to put my booties on & off).