Re: [ksurfschool] No wind swimmming technique (tip)

  • Rick Iossi
    Message 1 of 3 , May 22, 2001
      It is good that these kites will pull you in at a fair clip, perpendicular
      to the wind using the bailout technique you describe. I don't always wind
      up my lines before grabbing on to the kite because of tangling or accidental
      relaunching concerns. If you don't wind the lines it is a good idea to
      bring the bar along to cut the length of trailing line in half to try to
      avoid boat snags.

      In high wind I have grabbed onto one of the interior inflated battens on
      the water to reduce the area of kite in the air to make things more
      manageable. Also, once my leading edge deflated after a collision with the
      water in high wind. I was still able to sail in using the same technique
      supplimented by configuring the kite as if the leading edge was still
      inflated and throwing it up in the air to momentarily catch wind. It is
      more labor intensive but better than swimming in from a fair distance
      offshore. If you have a smaller kite or perhaps even it not, today I would
      try to blowup the leading edge orally to the point to where it would sail in
      without all the effort.

      > Here is a reminder of a tip that came in handy for me on Sunday when
      > the wind here dropped below 5 knots.. making for a long swim in.
      >
      > Swim to your kite by pulling on one line, or wind up your lines
      > (be sure to do a few extra wraps of one line before the others).
      >
      > Grab the two tips of the kite with your hands and position it as a
      > large C on the water (as though you are flying it with 0 length lines
      > and at 0 height). On a foil kite, just grab the bridle to do this (if
      > there is enough wind to keep it inflated).
      >
      > Even in wind of only one or two knots you will drag along, faster
      > than swimming alone.
      >
      > Chris Glazier

      The biggest problem I used to have with my F ones foils was them turning
      into submerged sea anchors. I used to pull the kite up a section at a time
      onto my board, made a nice pile and then tied in place with my board leash.
      At least that way I could relatively easily tow the whole thing in.

      Good winds,
      Rick