Re: land practice?

  • holl@powerup.com.au
    Message 1 of 3 , May 4, 2000
      I am also a beginner. I recently got myself a Naish 9.0. I first flew
      this on land to get an idea of how it handles. Like you i had
      previous stunt kite flying experience. I chose a day where there was
      no more than 5 knots of wind on a large tidal sandbar. Expecting to
      get dragged across the sand, I put on rollerblading elbow and knee
      pads, but didn't end up needing them. I was very careful to launch
      out of the neutral zone and I never flew the kite deep into the power
      zone, as I could feel that I wouldn't be able to hold on. I also used
      my harness that day.

      From that day I got enough feel for the kite to be able to bypass the
      water dragging stage and get straight up on to my kiteboard.

      I have also had my girlfriend fly it on a large grassy field without
      problems.

      As long as you have a large area without trees, powerlines, rocks or
      people and where the wind is not likely to pick up suddenly, then you
      should be OK flying on land in light wind if you are careful and have
      a safety release system.

      --- In ksurfschool@egroups.com, ace@p... wrote:
      > Fellow kiteheads,
      >
      > A 9.0 mosquito pro with my name on it should be arriving anyday now
      > at my local shop. Now before you say "what the hell is he thinking"
      > just know that I'm willing to take a whoopin. My plan is to only
      fly
      > in force 1 conditions (1-4 knt) for now. I have flown a small
      > parafoil stunt kite (about 2 meters) over the winter and have
      > sucessfully snowboarded with it in 30 knts.Is it a bad idea to try
      > and fly it on land to learn how it handles before going on the
      water?

      > Thanks
    • Mark Frasier
      Message 2 of 3 , May 4, 2000
        At 01:28 AM 05/05/2000 -0000, holl@... wrote:
        >I am also a beginner. I recently got myself a Naish 9.0. I first flew
        >this on land to get an idea of how it handles. Like you i had
        >previous stunt kite flying experience. I chose a day where there was
        >no more than 5 knots of wind on a large tidal sandbar. Expecting to
        >get dragged across the sand, I put on rollerblading elbow and knee
        >pads, but didn't end up needing them. I was very careful to launch
        >out of the neutral zone and I never flew the kite deep into the power
        >zone, as I could feel that I wouldn't be able to hold on. I also used
        >my harness that day.

        A Mosquito 9 will be significantly more powerful than a Naish 9. Just a
        warning :)

        Mark Frasier