Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Wipika freeair2001 size confusion

  • Dwight & Jacky
    Message 1 of 7 , May 3, 2001
      The Air Blast is a better kite. I can't say if the performance differences
      are what you would feel are worthwhile. It has half the bar pressure of the
      15.5. This allows me to use my favorite 24" bar. It has a big performance
      advantage in stability. The kite is better than any I've flown at just
      sitting quietly in the sky, never affected by wind gusts. I can fiddle with
      my wakeboard and takes both hands off the kite for very long periods with no
      worries. The stability is the single most dramatic enhancement in this kite.

      The overlap with the 11.5 ARX is significant, but what I wanted in my kites.
      The 11.5 ARX is still the biggest kite that jumps well. Everything bigger is
      a let down when jumping. The power is similar to the 15.5, so use that to
      judge whether you need a bigger one.

      Dwight

      > Dwight
      > I also got the ARX 11.5 as my medium kite and I am considering the
      > 11.8 Airblast as my big kite (to replace my aging AR5 15.5).
      > Is the Airblast 11.8 a really significant upgrade from the 15.5?
      > Do you find a lot of overlap in wind range with the 11.5 ... or maybe
      > should I consider an even bigger kite?
      >
      > Chris Glazier, Vancouver
    • k man
      Message 2 of 7 , May 4, 2001
        Chris,

        The Airblast 11.8 is much more responsive than a 15.5
        AR5. The reverse launching also works as advertised.
        I have not compared the 11.8 with the new 15.5 ARX.

        Kenny

        http://auctions.yahoo.com/
      • pjminor_uk@yahoo.co.uk
        Message 3 of 7 , May 4, 2001
          Thanks but......

          My original question concerned the FreeAir NOT the Airblast. My problem lies in the fact that you don't appear to be able to compare the sizes of different kites from a given manufacturer, so an 11m FreeAir is not the same as an 11m AirBlast. (if it existed)And its therefore really hard to compare a given kite size with another manufacturer.

          Thanks for everyone's advice on this, you've helped me make up my mind . Why can't the manufacturer's get it together so that those of us who don't kitesurf yet, can buy the right kit to start with ? After all, we never had this problem with windsurfing sails, they only really vary from the stated size by about 0.5m and they are all pretty comparable.

          Thanks

          Jonathan M