Re: [ksurfschool] Glasses?

  • Dave Raue
    Message 1 of 8 , May 2, 2001
      I never tried different kinds. The daily wear kind are the most expendable,
      so i never saw much reason to try other kinds cause the experience gained
      could get expensive. But it sounds like the cheapest also come out easiest.
      Still, I've not yet had trouble with glasses.

      -D
      Message 2 of 8 , May 3, 2001
        Just a thought ... I has laser eye surgery (lasec procedure I think) about
        two years ago. The cost was about 8K SA rands ... just over the price of a
        big kite. Before that I used contacts. The difference in all my
        watersports, skiing, diving, wakeboarding, windsurfing, kiting etc., not to
        mention other aspects of life, has been AMAZING ... it is definitely the
        best 8K I have ever spent, especially considering the outdoor active
        lifestyle here in SA. Since then several of my friends have had the same
        procedure, all with outstanding results. It does not work for all eye
        conditions, but if you are able, it is well worth it!

        Regards,
        Anton.

        Message 3 of 8 , May 3, 2001
          It didn't cost me anything to try all the different brands. My eye doctor
          worked with me to find a good lens. He provided free samples of many
          different ones. The funny thing about contacts is they don't all make them
          in the same base curves. B&L makes an 8.7, but J&J may only offer a 8.6 and
          8.9 curve. Getting that perfect curve for your eye makes them stay in
          better. I don't remember all that I tried, but some covered what felt like
          most of the eye, while others just covered the cornea.

          Dwight

          > I never tried different kinds. The daily wear kind are the most
          expendable,
          > so i never saw much reason to try other kinds cause the experience gained
          > could get expensive. But it sounds like the cheapest also come out
          easiest.
          > Still, I've not yet had trouble with glasses.
          >
          > -D
        • Dave Raue
          Message 4 of 8 , May 4, 2001
            Interesting, maybe I'll try again. My commitment to contacts is pretty low,
            I've worn glasses for at least 35 years and they don't bother really me.
            Contacts are what I use for skiing and the beach - when I can remember! But
            next time I go to eye Dr I'll take this up. That'll be in a couple years
            when my supply of disposables has been used up........

            -D