Re: [ksurfschool] Glasses?

  • Dwight & Jacky
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1 6:50 PM
      Have you tried different brands of contacts. We found some brands cover more
      of the eye which helps, some are stiffer which helps too. Jacky has finally
      found some that don't come out. Mine are B&L and never come out.

      Dwight

      > I wear glasses too. I've lost at least 2 of every imaginable kind of
      > "always stays on" water sport goggles ripped off my face and had countless
      > contacts wash out (daily ones, so not the worst possible loss). In the
      end
      > I found that an old pair of glasses with a tight strap has been best!
      >
      > -Dave
    • Dave Raue
      Message 2 of 8 , May 2 5:48 PM
        I never tried different kinds. The daily wear kind are the most expendable,
        so i never saw much reason to try other kinds cause the experience gained
        could get expensive. But it sounds like the cheapest also come out easiest.
        Still, I've not yet had trouble with glasses.

        -D
        > Have you tried different brands of contacts. We found some brands cover
        more
        > of the eye which helps, some are stiffer which helps too. Jacky has
        finally
        > found some that don't come out. Mine are B&L and never come out.
        >
        > Dwight
        >

        > > I wear glasses too. I've lost at least 2 of every imaginable kind of
        > > "always stays on" water sport goggles ripped off my face and had
        countless
        > > contacts wash out (daily ones, so not the worst possible loss). In the
        > end
        > > I found that an old pair of glasses with a tight strap has been best!
        > >
        > > -Dave

      • Anton Potgieter
        Message 3 of 8 , May 3 2:24 AM
          Just a thought ... I has laser eye surgery (lasec procedure I think) about
          two years ago. The cost was about 8K SA rands ... just over the price of a
          big kite. Before that I used contacts. The difference in all my
          watersports, skiing, diving, wakeboarding, windsurfing, kiting etc., not to
          mention other aspects of life, has been AMAZING ... it is definitely the
          best 8K I have ever spent, especially considering the outdoor active
          lifestyle here in SA. Since then several of my friends have had the same
          procedure, all with outstanding results. It does not work for all eye
          conditions, but if you are able, it is well worth it!

          Regards,
          Anton.

          Message 4 of 8 , May 3 7:35 PM
            It didn't cost me anything to try all the different brands. My eye doctor
            worked with me to find a good lens. He provided free samples of many
            different ones. The funny thing about contacts is they don't all make them
            in the same base curves. B&L makes an 8.7, but J&J may only offer a 8.6 and
            8.9 curve. Getting that perfect curve for your eye makes them stay in
            better. I don't remember all that I tried, but some covered what felt like
            most of the eye, while others just covered the cornea.

            Dwight

            > I never tried different kinds. The daily wear kind are the most
            expendable,
            > so i never saw much reason to try other kinds cause the experience gained
            > could get expensive. But it sounds like the cheapest also come out
            easiest.
            > Still, I've not yet had trouble with glasses.
            >
            > -D
          • Dave Raue
            Message 5 of 8 , May 4 5:20 AM
              Interesting, maybe I'll try again. My commitment to contacts is pretty low,
              I've worn glasses for at least 35 years and they don't bother really me.
              Contacts are what I use for skiing and the beach - when I can remember! But
              next time I go to eye Dr I'll take this up. That'll be in a couple years
              when my supply of disposables has been used up........

              -D