Re: [ksurfschool] Glasses?

  • Dave Raue
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1 6:04 PM
      I wear glasses too. I've lost at least 2 of every imaginable kind of
      "always stays on" water sport goggles ripped off my face and had countless
      contacts wash out (daily ones, so not the worst possible loss). In the end
      I found that an old pair of glasses with a tight strap has been best!

      -Dave
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1 6:50 PM
        Have you tried different brands of contacts. We found some brands cover more
        of the eye which helps, some are stiffer which helps too. Jacky has finally
        found some that don't come out. Mine are B&L and never come out.

        Dwight

        > I wear glasses too. I've lost at least 2 of every imaginable kind of
        > "always stays on" water sport goggles ripped off my face and had countless
        > contacts wash out (daily ones, so not the worst possible loss). In the
        end
        > I found that an old pair of glasses with a tight strap has been best!
        >
        > -Dave
      • Dave Raue
        Message 3 of 8 , May 2 5:48 PM
          I never tried different kinds. The daily wear kind are the most expendable,
          so i never saw much reason to try other kinds cause the experience gained
          could get expensive. But it sounds like the cheapest also come out easiest.
          Still, I've not yet had trouble with glasses.

          -D
          > Have you tried different brands of contacts. We found some brands cover
          more
          > of the eye which helps, some are stiffer which helps too. Jacky has
          finally
          > found some that don't come out. Mine are B&L and never come out.
          >
          > Dwight
          >

          > > I wear glasses too. I've lost at least 2 of every imaginable kind of
          > > "always stays on" water sport goggles ripped off my face and had
          countless
          > > contacts wash out (daily ones, so not the worst possible loss). In the
          > end
          > > I found that an old pair of glasses with a tight strap has been best!
          > >
          > > -Dave

        • Anton Potgieter
          Message 4 of 8 , May 3 2:24 AM
            Just a thought ... I has laser eye surgery (lasec procedure I think) about
            two years ago. The cost was about 8K SA rands ... just over the price of a
            big kite. Before that I used contacts. The difference in all my
            watersports, skiing, diving, wakeboarding, windsurfing, kiting etc., not to
            mention other aspects of life, has been AMAZING ... it is definitely the
            best 8K I have ever spent, especially considering the outdoor active
            lifestyle here in SA. Since then several of my friends have had the same
            procedure, all with outstanding results. It does not work for all eye
            conditions, but if you are able, it is well worth it!

            Regards,
            Anton.

            > Any recommendations for an old, very myopic, four eyes on how to see where
            > the heck I'm going?
            > Contacts? Prescription racquet sport glasses? Regular glasses with a tight
            > strap?
            >
            > Cheers,
            > Greg

          • Dwight & Jacky
            Message 5 of 8 , May 3 7:35 PM
              It didn't cost me anything to try all the different brands. My eye doctor
              worked with me to find a good lens. He provided free samples of many
              different ones. The funny thing about contacts is they don't all make them
              in the same base curves. B&L makes an 8.7, but J&J may only offer a 8.6 and
              8.9 curve. Getting that perfect curve for your eye makes them stay in
              better. I don't remember all that I tried, but some covered what felt like
              most of the eye, while others just covered the cornea.

              Dwight

              > I never tried different kinds. The daily wear kind are the most
              expendable,
              > so i never saw much reason to try other kinds cause the experience gained
              > could get expensive. But it sounds like the cheapest also come out
              easiest.
              > Still, I've not yet had trouble with glasses.
              >
              > -D
            • Dave Raue
              Message 6 of 8 , May 4 5:20 AM
                Interesting, maybe I'll try again. My commitment to contacts is pretty low,
                I've worn glasses for at least 35 years and they don't bother really me.
                Contacts are what I use for skiing and the beach - when I can remember! But
                next time I go to eye Dr I'll take this up. That'll be in a couple years
                when my supply of disposables has been used up........

                -D