Wipika freeair2001 size confusion

  • pjminor_uk@yahoo.co.uk
    Message 1 of 7 , May 1, 2001
      How do I choose the correct size for a Wipika Freeair VARC 2001
      kite ?

      I'm looking to buy a 2/4 line kite for learning and have been told
      that a 13.5m would be suitable for me, although I feel that this
      might be a little too big. So I am looking at something around 11.5m.
      The Freeair seems to be the best thing for my needs yet I am now so
      baffled with the size issue, that I feel like taking up knitting.

      I have been told that FreeAir sizes need to be multplied by 1.36 to
      reach the equivalent in a Naish. However I have also been told that
      this multiplication factor only applies to the AirBlasts, NOT the
      FreeAir. Does this mean that Wipika are using different methods of
      sizing when comparing their own kite ranges?

      So is a FreeAir2001 8.9m, the equivalent of a Naish 12.1, which would
      be perfect for me ?

      But if this multplication factor doesn't apply, then should I look at
      the FreeAir2001 11.5 ?

      The Wipika website is useless and I haven't been able to find a
      definitive answer on the group. Any advice would be very gratefully
      received. If the manufacturers could get it together then a lot of us
      would be happy to spend our money with them. As it is I'm just
      sitting on it waiting, so that I don't buy the wrong kit.

      I weigh 85 kgs and am an experienced shortboard windsurfer, I've also
      had some wipika classic experience. I plan on learning on light wind
      days and then going windsurfing after 15 kts of breeze. If I buy a
      kite thats too big then I'll be happy to wait till the wind dies a
      bit. After a few months I hope to be able to use the 4 line setup
      which would raise the wind range for me. So buying a kite thats too
      big is less a problem thatn buying one that is too small for light
      winds.
    • Dwight & Jacky
      Message 2 of 7 , May 1, 2001
        I don't know why the 1.36 factor doesn't work with the Free Air. I think it
        has something to do with low aspect ratios. The higher the aspect the more
        this factor becomes usable, like with the big Air Blast.

        Just forget all this crap. I have the 11.8 Air Blast, 11.5 Naish, 8.9, 7.1
        and 5.6 Free Air kites. The Free Air sizing matches Naish original sizing.
        The 8.9 Free Air has a little less power than my old 9.5 AR5 which I flew
        last year. I suggest you go for the 11.5 Free Air for the winds you want.
        This will work when winds speed would force you to use giant (9.0)
        windsurfing sails.

        Dwight
      • Mel
        Message 3 of 7 , May 1, 2001
          <pjminor_uk@...> wrote:

          > How do I choose the correct size for a Wipika Freeair VARC 2001
          > kite ?
          >
          > I'm looking to buy a 2/4 line kite for learning and have been told
          > that a 13.5m would be suitable for me, although I feel that this
          > might be a little too big. So I am looking at something around 11.5m.
          > The Freeair seems to be the best thing for my needs yet I am now so
          > baffled with the size issue, that I feel like taking up knitting.

          I don't blame you!

          > I have been told that FreeAir sizes need to be multplied by 1.36 to
          > reach the equivalent in a Naish.

          Based on info from Dwight, I believe that is not true.

          > However I have also been told that
          > this multiplication factor only applies to the AirBlasts, NOT the
          > FreeAir. Does this mean that Wipika are using different methods of
          > sizing when comparing their own kite ranges?

          Again, based on Dwight, I believe that is correct. Pretty stupid of Wipika,
          but not all that surprising from a company that's been lying about the size
          since day one (& still is).

          > So is a FreeAir2001 8.9m, the equivalent of a Naish 12.1, which would
          > be perfect for me ?

          Dwight says the 2001 FreeAir 11.5 is the same size as the Naish 11.5

          > But if this multplication factor doesn't apply, then should I look at
          > the FreeAir2001 11.5 ?

          Yes, that's right.

          > I weigh 85 kgs and am an experienced shortboard windsurfer, I've also
          > had some wipika classic experience. I plan on learning on light wind
          > days and then going windsurfing after 15 kts of breeze.

          A lot of us started off thinking the same way, but unless you're into flat
          water freestyle, you're only going to keep windsurfing until your kiteboard
          skills catch up (which won't take very long). At your weight an 11.5 would
          take you up to about 20 knots.

          > If I buy a
          > kite thats too big then I'll be happy to wait till the wind dies a
          > bit. After a few months I hope to be able to use the 4 line setup
          > which would raise the wind range for me. So buying a kite thats too
          > big is less a problem thatn buying one that is too small for light
          > winds.

          For that application, you DEFINITELY want something that's at LEAST as big
          as a 13.5 Naish. Naish makes a 14m & 17m 2/4line, & Wipika makes a 14.9

          Mel
        • cglazier@home.com
          Message 4 of 7 , May 2, 2001
            Dwight
            I also got the ARX 11.5 as my medium kite and I am considering the
            11.8 Airblast as my big kite (to replace my aging AR5 15.5).
            Is the Airblast 11.8 a really significant upgrade from the 15.5?
            Do you find a lot of overlap in wind range with the 11.5 ... or maybe
            should I consider an even bigger kite?

            Chris Glazier, Vancouver

            --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Dwight & Jacky" <fishersfort@a...> wrote:
            > I don't know why the 1.36 factor doesn't work with the Free Air. I
            think it
            > has something to do with low aspect ratios. The higher the aspect
            the more
            > this factor becomes usable, like with the big Air Blast.
            >
            > Just forget all this crap. I have the 11.8 Air Blast, 11.5 Naish,
            8.9, 7.1
            > and 5.6 Free Air kites. The Free Air sizing matches Naish original
            sizing.
            > The 8.9 Free Air has a little less power than my old 9.5 AR5 which
            I flew
            > last year. I suggest you go for the 11.5 Free Air for the winds you
            want.
            > This will work when winds speed would force you to use giant (9.0)
            > windsurfing sails.
            >
            > Dwight
          • Dwight & Jacky
            Message 5 of 7 , May 3, 2001
              The Air Blast is a better kite. I can't say if the performance differences
              are what you would feel are worthwhile. It has half the bar pressure of the
              15.5. This allows me to use my favorite 24" bar. It has a big performance
              advantage in stability. The kite is better than any I've flown at just
              sitting quietly in the sky, never affected by wind gusts. I can fiddle with
              my wakeboard and takes both hands off the kite for very long periods with no
              worries. The stability is the single most dramatic enhancement in this kite.

              The overlap with the 11.5 ARX is significant, but what I wanted in my kites.
              The 11.5 ARX is still the biggest kite that jumps well. Everything bigger is
              a let down when jumping. The power is similar to the 15.5, so use that to
              judge whether you need a bigger one.

              Dwight

              > Dwight
              > I also got the ARX 11.5 as my medium kite and I am considering the
              > 11.8 Airblast as my big kite (to replace my aging AR5 15.5).
              > Is the Airblast 11.8 a really significant upgrade from the 15.5?
              > Do you find a lot of overlap in wind range with the 11.5 ... or maybe
              > should I consider an even bigger kite?
              >
              > Chris Glazier, Vancouver
            • k man
              Message 6 of 7 , May 4, 2001
                Chris,

                The Airblast 11.8 is much more responsive than a 15.5
                AR5. The reverse launching also works as advertised.
                I have not compared the 11.8 with the new 15.5 ARX.

                Kenny

                http://auctions.yahoo.com/
              • pjminor_uk@yahoo.co.uk
                Message 7 of 7 , May 4, 2001
                  Thanks but......

                  My original question concerned the FreeAir NOT the Airblast. My problem lies in the fact that you don't appear to be able to compare the sizes of different kites from a given manufacturer, so an 11m FreeAir is not the same as an 11m AirBlast. (if it existed)And its therefore really hard to compare a given kite size with another manufacturer.

                  Thanks for everyone's advice on this, you've helped me make up my mind . Why can't the manufacturer's get it together so that those of us who don't kitesurf yet, can buy the right kit to start with ? After all, we never had this problem with windsurfing sails, they only really vary from the stated size by about 0.5m and they are all pretty comparable.

                  Thanks

                  Jonathan M