Glasses?

  • Greg Finlay
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 1, 1947
      Newbie here,

      Any recommendations for an old, very myopic, four eyes on how to see where
      the heck I'm going?
      Contacts? Prescription racquet sport glasses? Regular glasses with a tight
      strap?

      Cheers,
      Greg
    • Dwight & Jacky
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 1, 1947
        If you ride in salt water then contacts are the best. Some kinds don't stay
        in well, like the super thin AccuViews, but most others work great. I've
        never lost a pair, but Jacky has. Glasses are a pain in the butt.

        Dwight

        > Newbie here,
        >
        > Any recommendations for an old, very myopic, four eyes on how to see where
        > the heck I'm going?
        > Contacts? Prescription racquet sport glasses? Regular glasses with a tight
        > strap?
        >
        > Cheers,
        > Greg

      • Dave Raue
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 1, 1947
          I wear glasses too. I've lost at least 2 of every imaginable kind of
          "always stays on" water sport goggles ripped off my face and had countless
          contacts wash out (daily ones, so not the worst possible loss). In the end
          I found that an old pair of glasses with a tight strap has been best!

          -Dave
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 1, 1947
            Have you tried different brands of contacts. We found some brands cover more
            of the eye which helps, some are stiffer which helps too. Jacky has finally
            found some that don't come out. Mine are B&L and never come out.

            Dwight

            > I wear glasses too. I've lost at least 2 of every imaginable kind of
            > "always stays on" water sport goggles ripped off my face and had countless
            > contacts wash out (daily ones, so not the worst possible loss). In the
            end
            > I found that an old pair of glasses with a tight strap has been best!
            >
            > -Dave
          • Dave Raue
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 2, 1947
              I never tried different kinds. The daily wear kind are the most expendable,
              so i never saw much reason to try other kinds cause the experience gained
              could get expensive. But it sounds like the cheapest also come out easiest.
              Still, I've not yet had trouble with glasses.

              -D
              > Have you tried different brands of contacts. We found some brands cover
              more
              > of the eye which helps, some are stiffer which helps too. Jacky has
              finally
              > found some that don't come out. Mine are B&L and never come out.
              >
              > Dwight
              >

              > > I wear glasses too. I've lost at least 2 of every imaginable kind of
              > > "always stays on" water sport goggles ripped off my face and had
              countless
              > > contacts wash out (daily ones, so not the worst possible loss). In the
              > end
              > > I found that an old pair of glasses with a tight strap has been best!
              > >
              > > -Dave

            • Anton Potgieter
              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 2, 1947
                Just a thought ... I has laser eye surgery (lasec procedure I think) about
                two years ago. The cost was about 8K SA rands ... just over the price of a
                big kite. Before that I used contacts. The difference in all my
                watersports, skiing, diving, wakeboarding, windsurfing, kiting etc., not to
                mention other aspects of life, has been AMAZING ... it is definitely the
                best 8K I have ever spent, especially considering the outdoor active
                lifestyle here in SA. Since then several of my friends have had the same
                procedure, all with outstanding results. It does not work for all eye
                conditions, but if you are able, it is well worth it!

                Regards,
                Anton.

                > Any recommendations for an old, very myopic, four eyes on how to see where
                > the heck I'm going?
                > Contacts? Prescription racquet sport glasses? Regular glasses with a tight
                > strap?
                >
                > Cheers,
                > Greg

              • Dwight & Jacky
                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 3, 1947
                  It didn't cost me anything to try all the different brands. My eye doctor
                  worked with me to find a good lens. He provided free samples of many
                  different ones. The funny thing about contacts is they don't all make them
                  in the same base curves. B&L makes an 8.7, but J&J may only offer a 8.6 and
                  8.9 curve. Getting that perfect curve for your eye makes them stay in
                  better. I don't remember all that I tried, but some covered what felt like
                  most of the eye, while others just covered the cornea.

                  Dwight

                  > I never tried different kinds. The daily wear kind are the most
                  expendable,
                  > so i never saw much reason to try other kinds cause the experience gained
                  > could get expensive. But it sounds like the cheapest also come out
                  easiest.
                  > Still, I've not yet had trouble with glasses.
                  >
                  > -D
                • Dave Raue
                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 4, 1947
                    Interesting, maybe I'll try again. My commitment to contacts is pretty low,
                    I've worn glasses for at least 35 years and they don't bother really me.
                    Contacts are what I use for skiing and the beach - when I can remember! But
                    next time I go to eye Dr I'll take this up. That'll be in a couple years
                    when my supply of disposables has been used up........

                    -D