Re: Tacking (was Perfect jibing art)

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 29 11:16 AM
      I have seen someone doing jumping tack in Maui early 1999 (probably
      Flash as most people were at the learning stage or not a kitesurfer yet
      at that time). Here is the description of the move (from my log):

      "
      I was windsurfing with a 4.7 m2 sail in 20 - 30 knots of wind and saw a
      guy going out kitesurfing in an expert manner (new note: he was using a
      Wipika Classic 5.0 with a 2 or 3 straps directional board around 6' or
      6'6"). He seemed to go upwind very well and very fast (new note: his
      speed almost match that of the fastest windsurfers for shorter runs -
      there was one or two other kitesurfers and they were pretty slow while
      going upwind). His jump was fabulous, very high up in the air and very
      soft landing. He used a very strange move to go upwind. I would call
      it tacking. Following are the steps he used:
      1. While going, he moved the kite up.
      2. When the kite reached around 75 degrees vertically, he jumped
      and rotated the board 180 degrees toward the back. The board now
      pointed to the new direction; he was facing the wind and the kite was at
      zenith.
      3. He turned around by moving his front leg just before the back
      straps and then inserted his back foot to the front straps. He then
      slid his new back foot in to the back strap before diving the kite to
      get going in the new direction.
      "

      I guess a carving tack could be more challenging and I would guess you
      need to have the kite at zenith before turning your body around
      otherwise it would make you fall backward (so I guess the kite movement
      would be the same for both types of tack)

      A downwind carving 360 could be slightly less challenging than a upwind
      carving 360 as you don't have to deal with this kite-pulling backward as
      you can lean your body in the new angle once the board pass 270 degrees.

      I will try to learn carving tack and carving 360 latter this spring and
      this summer (of course not now in cold water ;-)

      Hung.