SAFETY Body Dragging......

  • kevin patrick
    Message 1 of 2 , May 3, 2000
      Hi to all....
      Its Saturday Morning in S. Cali....
      Predictions are dismal for wind this weekend so maybe a
      boating/wakeboarding weekend...
      Just something that may be of interest to anyone who's at my level of
      kiteboarding-----fresh off the shelf...
      I should mention that I surf, snowboard and waterski.
      Having these disciplines in ones arsenal- so to speak, is obviously
      useful.
      Kiteboarding is a perfect addition !!!(addiction)

      Anyway....Spending 3 sessions on the beach flying the kite in light to
      moderate winds taught me about the windows, neutrals and the Almighty
      Power Zone. This basic "steering" knowledge now allows me absolute control
      over the kite....]
      Then I went to Lake Mead for 3 days.Renowned for its afternoon winds, we
      went prepared.
      True to form, Saturday Morning was howling!!!!!
      A 220 lb friend of mine, also a beginner, tried launching from the beach
      and very nearly got badly dragged over the rocky shoreline....Word of
      warning....respect the wind...Kites are awsomely strong.....when the kite
      is in the air....don't assume anything, concentrate on safety!!!!!!
      Back to my story....
      After the close-call we loaded up Christiaans prosport centre console
      wakeboat(lots of space to move around in on deck) and headed out into the
      middle of the Lake.....away from land...
      Now remember its blowing 25+ and no land for 1 mile ....This is a blast...
      P.S. this is where that darn reelcontrol bar is soooo needed...cause we"re
      going back Memorial.
      Yeah we tangled lines and held onto the AR5. 9.5 Naish
      with all we had....finally it was in the air...way tricky from the boat,
      but im sure we'll get better with practice...
      Well we got draged and launched./....pummelled,, and whipped....im only
      160lbs and i was in the air most of the time just trying to hold
      on....Knowing that land was outta reach.....allowed me to get right into
      the ZONE and experience the worst of it...This taught me real quick to
      "feel" where the kite was as most of the time the body-spray was whipping
      in my eyes ,,,so vision of any kind was limited...

      we played hard the whole weekend and even though the board stayed on the
      racks....we learned invaluable lessons...next time, We're up and riding -
      this is a great sport but please be careful if you're just
      beginning.....BE SAFE!!!

      http://im.yahoo.com/