More Info on Big Naish Kites

  • k man
    Message 1 of 5 , Apr 28, 2001
      Today, I tried my 17.5 on 20 meter lines. My 11.8
      Airblast(16 in Naish terms, I am so sick of the sizing
      mess this year) had a hole in the main bladder.

      The kite handles much better, but it is virtually
      impossible to get it to water relaunch with lines that
      short. I tried many times, but I just couldn't get
      the kite to rollover properly.

      Lesson 1: Don't plan on buying a 17.5 and using
      shorter lines instead of buying a 15.5 Naish ARX or
      11.8 Wipika.

      I did have my biggest floater jump so far today on the
      17.5. I went out in 10 - 12 mph winds. The wind
      picked up to 20. I sent the 17.5 on a jump and was
      rocketed 35+ feet into the air. As I started to come
      down another gust lifted me up again. I traveled
      downwind around 100 yards. I landed with a ton of
      speed. The wind was so powerful that after I landed I
      was tea bagged 15 - 20 feet into the air. After
      several of those I was getting too close to shore, so
      I let go of the handle. Unfortunately, I haven't
      lengthed the leaders on my 20 meter line bar so the
      AirRush Wrist Leash broke and my kite flew into the
      willows on the edge of the lake.

      Lesson 2: lengthen leaders to accommodate the new big
      kites and let go of the handle before you reach the
      shore when you are severely overpowered.

      http://auctions.yahoo.com/