Perfect jibing art

    Message 1 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
      Recently I decided to add some "art" into kitesurfing and learn to make
      "perfect jibes". Following is my definition of a perfect jibe:

      1- The turning radius is as constant and as smooth as possible
      2- The board carves smoothly throughout the turn
      3- The speed of the board at exit is the same or almost the same as at
      entrance of the jibe
      4- The switching of the feet is done at the exit time by an extremely
      quick movements by a quick hop of your body around (you cannot not use
      the technique of putting both feet in both front straps as that would
      disturb the carving of the board)
      5- The rider manipulates the kite such that he/she would have constant
      power of the kite to make the jibe as smooth and spectacular as
      possible.

      I managed to get a number of "perfect jibes".

      Of my 15 - 20 years of windsurfing, I have never gotten one as close.

      "Perfect jibing" is great fun (same level of satisfaction as jumping).

      If you have never tried one, go for it.

      Hung.
    • Mel
      Message 2 of 11 , Apr 27, 2001
        Hung Vu <hungvu@...> wrote:

        > "Perfect jibing" is great fun (same level of satisfaction as jumping).
        >
        > If you have never tried one, go for it.

        I don't know if I'd call any of my jibes "perfect", but I sure do lots that
        are really fun. I really like the jibes in the late part of a session, when
        the water smoothes out & the wind becomes too light to jump.

        Unlike a sailboard, you can enter the jibe pointing upwind, & also exit
        pointing, so you can carve much further, maybe close to twice as far as a
        sailboard. You also don't have a sail-flip upsetting the turn, AND you can
        have power from the kite all the way through.

        I like to see how far I can lean into the turn. I can easily drag my hand,
        even with a rather bent elbow, and rather straight legs & waist. A few
        times I've saved myself from falling into the water on the inside of the
        turn, by actually using the lift off my planing hand! I'm working on being
        able to drag my elbow.

        Message 3 of 11 , Apr 28, 2001
          Mel wrote:
          > are really fun. I really like the jibes in the late part of a session, when
          > the water smoothes out & the wind becomes too light to jump.

          You don't really need smooth water nor light wind. In kitesurfing,
          perfect jibing (or fun jibing if you want to call it) can be done in
          rough water and very strong wind too. I haven't have a chance to try
          yet, but a perfect jibing off the lip of a big wave would be fun (and
          could be challenging too).

          Trick kitesurfing competitions should include "perfect jibing" as one of
          the mandatory routines.

          Hung.
        • Mel
          Message 4 of 11 , Apr 28, 2001
            Hung Vu <hungvu@...> wrote:

            > You don't really need smooth water nor light wind. ... I haven't have a
            chance to try
            > yet, but a perfect jibing off the lip of a big wave would be fun (and
            > could be challenging too).

            I know you don't NEED it, but it's easier to make them really nice when the
            water's a little smoother, & when it's windier I'm usually having too much
            fun jumping. On the ocean here, even when the wind is light we often get
            some nice swells to bank off (in one direction).

            > Trick kitesurfing competitions should include "perfect jibing" as one of
            > the mandatory routines.

            I agree. They could award points for stuff like highest exit speed, elbow
            or shoulder dragging, most spray thrown, greatest total yaw angle (carving
            through 270 degrees?), etc...

            Message 5 of 11 , Apr 28, 2001
              Mel wrote:
              > I agree. They could award points for stuff like highest exit speed, elbow
              > or shoulder dragging, most spray thrown, greatest total yaw angle (carving
              > through 270 degrees?), etc...

              Shoulder dragging sounds challenging. How about a 360 carving?

              Hung.
            • Mel
              Message 6 of 11 , Apr 28, 2001
                Hung Vu <hungvu@...> wrote:

                > Shoulder dragging sounds challenging.

                I was kind of exaggerating (maybe should have said points for who can come
                the CLOSEST) but I actually came pretty close once by accident, although
                unfortunately I haven't been able to repeat it intentionally. That one time
                I'd been planning on jibing well in front of an oncoming sailboard, but some
                chop or something made me hesitate my carve, after already turning the kite.
                That required a much tighter jibe than I'd planned, in order to avoid a
                collision, as well as to "catch up" to the kite. I'm sure I'd have buried
                my elbow in the water if it hadn't been right at my side.

                > How about a 360 carving?

                I'm not completely certain, but I have an unfortunate feeling that would be
                impossible on a kiteboard (one of two reasons not to quit windsurfing?).

                Message 7 of 11 , Apr 28, 2001
                  Mel wrote:
                  > impossible on a kiteboard (one of two reasons not to quit windsurfing?).

                  360 carving comes close (we still need to prove that it's impossible in
                  kitesurfing) but the main reason is speed. That says, however; I can
                  NOW say that I can quit windsurfing after having kiteskied. Kiteskiing
                  is simply so fast that windsurfing or even "snowsurfing" doesn't have a
                  chance.

                  Of course, I will have to long for the winter but it's alright (as not
                  many people do that)!

                  Hung.
                • Mark Frasier
                  Message 8 of 11 , Apr 28, 2001
                    Is anyone doing tacks? I do them in the buggy but haven't tried on the
                    board.

                    Mark Frasier

                    Message 9 of 11 , Apr 28, 2001
                      People say that an "ice deck" that uses windsurf sails is pretty fast. We
                      were on the ice one day last year with a couple of them but didn't compare
                      speeds because they were limited to a single patch of bare while we were
                      able to go over the snowy spots with our cut-off skis.

                      Mark Frasier

                      > > impossible on a kiteboard (one of two reasons not to quit windsurfing?).
                      >
                      > 360 carving comes close (we still need to prove that it's impossible in
                      > kitesurfing) but the main reason is speed. That says, however; I can
                      > NOW say that I can quit windsurfing after having kiteskied. Kiteskiing
                      > is simply so fast that windsurfing or even "snowsurfing" doesn't have a
                      > chance.
                      >
                      > Of course, I will have to long for the winter but it's alright (as not
                      > many people do that)!

                    • Mel
                      Message 10 of 11 , Apr 28, 2001
                        Hung Vu <hungvu@...> wrote:

                        > Mel wrote:
                        > > impossible on a kiteboard (one of two reasons not to quit windsurfing?).
                        >
                        > 360 carving comes close (we still need to prove that it's impossible in
                        > kitesurfing) but the main reason is speed.

                        Yes, speed was the other of the two reasons I was thinking of.

                        Mel
                      • Mel
                        Message 11 of 11 , Apr 28, 2001
                          Mark Frasier <brockus@...> writes:

                          > Is anyone doing tacks?

                          Hmmmmm.... I hadn't thought of doing carving 360s UPwind. If tacking is
                          possible, an UPwind carving 360 might be too.