Re: [ksurfschool] chicken loop/ARC 1120

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 25, 2001
      The problem with a big smart loop is that you can't sheet IN as much. You
      can only sheet in until the loop hits the bar. This may not be a problem,
      depending on: 1) how powered up you like to ride, 2) how gusty your winds
      are, & 3) what type of board you ride, so many of you may never need or want
      either a small loop or snap shackling to the spreader. A note on safety is
      that no matter what size the loop, you still have to sheet IN to unhook from
      it, which is virtually impossible when you're so overpowered that you NEED
      to unhook from it (but that may never happen if your winds are steady).

      1) I don't think kite size makes as much difference as how powered up you
      are. In other words, what works for me will likely also work for somebody
      twice my weight with a kite twice the size, in the same winds. I like to
      ride pretty powered up all day. I couldn't ride fully powered in a gust,
      leaning way back over the water, unless I could suddenly sheet way in (to
      prevent falling backwards) when a lull hits. Actually I could round way up
      into the wind to prevent falling, but that's counterproductive in a lull.

      2) Unlike where Hung rides, it can be incredibly gusty here. A few days ago
      the anemometer was reading something like 11-28 mph (I just noticed that's
      nearly identical to conditions Rick mentioned). That's more than doubling
      the windspeed, or more than quadrupling the power (probably closer to a 5
      fold power difference). Those gusts are often nearly instantaneous, so I
      need to be able to sheet all the way out OR all the way in.

      3) Maybe in those conditions it would be best to have a smaller board, for
      better edging, but then it would be tough to keep planing when one of the
      11mph lulls lasts for more than a few moments. Also, like where Hung rides,
      the wind often varies throughout the day, starting at 12 knots when I'm
      setting up, & either building to 25 a few hours later, or staying at 12 all
      day. That means a rather large board is best, since it's so hard to land
      here (because of the gustiness) to switch boards. That also means I need to
      be able to sheet in & out more, to compensate for lack of board edging, & to
      take some effort off my legs so I can stay fully powered & edging until
      dark.

      The ARC 1120 is only about 8m projected, so it's quite a bit smaller than
      the 11.8 or 17.5, & while it's much less effort to "work" it up & down, it
      NEEDS to be worked in order to extend its lower wind range down to that of
      an inflatable with the same projected area. It felt like the ARC also has
      less high wind handling capacity, & there's not much you can do to extend
      that. They have a LOT more "automatic" gust handling (like a sailboard sail
      twisting off in gusts), but even combined with manual sheeting it's not as
      much gust range as an inflatable. In other words, for winds like I ride in
      (as noted above) the ARC doesn't work as well. For anywhere that's more
      reasonable to ride (not super gusty, & safe to land & switch kites) it has
      advantages: smaller & lighter to carry around, super stable (vertically
      luffproof AND laterally stable - stays at zenith with NO pilot input),
      easier to land solo, etc.