Youngest kitesurfer?

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 14, 2001
      Anybody know who is the youngest kitesurfer?

      I met Kane and Stephanie from New Zealand (very high ranking in the
      world circuits) and they were somewhere from very-late-teen to
      late-twenties.

      My 6 year old son Dan flew the C-Quad 2.2 today (still need to teach him
      to use the brake lines more and how to relaunch the kite). I can't wait
      to get him on a board...

      Hung.
    • Troy Bezanson
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 14, 2001
        I have a 4 year old, that loves to go kiting with me.  He flies a big 1 line delta, and know how to pump it, tighten the tension or loosen to make it move around a bit.
        Both of us fly my 2 line stunt kite, we flown so much, that he understands that if I pull, the kite goes to the right, and if he pulls it goes to the left.  The harder the kite pulls the more he loves it.  He lays down on his back, and when I bring the kite across the window, it will stand him up.  We both have a lot of fun.

        This winter, I had him out on the frozen lake with his GT-Snowracer ( 3 ski snow sled with steering)  We hook a rope up from my harness to his sled, As my kite pulls me around the lake with my skis, I pull him around on the sled.  There are quite a few times when we get going pretty fast.  Turning's pretty fun, I usually have to slow down quite a bit, just so he doesn't accelerate through the turn so much.

        He's definitely going to be one of the young surfers.  6 years is definitely a good age to try it out.  By 5 he should be able to fly a two liner by himself.  Maybe lanching the kite would be more difficult, but once it's in the air, he should be fine.  I'm sure he'll be asking to try long before I offer.

        I'm sure Dan will pick up the bug just as fast as any of us!!

        Good winds,
        Troy

        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 15, 2001
          Hi Hung,

          My son's 7 and he's been flying 2 lines with a bar no problem. He's also
          ridden my Mountainboard down the park with a 4 meter kite in light
          conditions. It was quite a sight to see.

          My daughter is 10 and has been Kiteskiing a few times, she has no problem
          with kite control and feels comfortable flying with a harness. She too, has
          taken the Mountainboard for a few spins. She could go up and down the park
          going both ways (fakie). She's now flying 4 lines with handles, showing
          interest in doing more traction kiting. Maybe even trying a buggy.

          I have a few pics of the kids flying if anyone is interested.

          Good Winds,
          Mike Berends
          BIG AIR WINDSPORTS
          Calgary, Alberta

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 15, 2001
            Mike and Troy,

            Exciting time teaching the kids isn't it!

            One of the main issue I found when teaching Dan power kiting is that
            it's very natural for him to just go forward with the kite instead of
            leaning backward (that why kids are excellent in learning downhill
            skiing). Maybe more practice of the
            sitting-down-and-then-let-the-kite-pull-him-up will make him more aware
            of the balance: "pull .vs. weight" and learn how to lean backward when
            needed (This is almost the same problem a novice kitesurfer face when
            first learn edging)?

            Hung.

            Mike Berends wrote:

            > Hi Hung,
            >
            > My son's 7 and he's been flying 2 lines with a bar no problem. He's also
            > ridden my Mountainboard down the park with a 4 meter kite in light
            > conditions. It was quite a sight to see.
            >
            > My daughter is 10 and has been Kiteskiing a few times, she has no problem
            > with kite control and feels comfortable flying with a harness. She too, has
            > taken the Mountainboard for a few spins. She could go up and down the park
            > going both ways (fakie). She's now flying 4 lines with handles, showing
            > interest in doing more traction kiting. Maybe even trying a buggy.
            >
            > I have a few pics of the kids flying if anyone is interested.
            >
            > Good Winds,
            > Mike Berends
            > BIG AIR WINDSPORTS
            > Calgary, Alberta
            >
            > Hung Vu wrote:
            >
            > > Anybody know who is the youngest kitesurfer?
            > >
            > > I met Kane and Stephanie from New Zealand (very high ranking in the
            > > world circuits) and they were somewhere from very-late-teen to
            > > late-twenties.
            > >
            > > My 6 year old son Dan flew the C-Quad 2.2 today (still need to teach him
            > > to use the brake lines more and how to relaunch the kite). I can't wait
            > > to get him on a board...
            > >
            > > Hung.

          • Troy Bezanson
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 15, 2001
              Awesome, It probably takes you quite a while to wipe the grin off your face after seeing your children do something so neat.

              Post the pictures please, It will be inspirational to many I'm sure!!

              Hung Vu wrote:

              > Anybody know who is the youngest kitesurfer?
              >
              > I met Kane and Stephanie from New Zealand (very high ranking in the
              > world circuits) and they were somewhere from very-late-teen to
              > late-twenties.
              >
              > My 6 year old son Dan flew the C-Quad 2.2 today (still need to teach him
              > to use the brake lines more and how to relaunch the kite).  I can't wait
              > to get him on a board...

            • Mike Berends
              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 15, 2001
                Hi All,

                My Kids get pretty excited when going out kite flying with me. My son
                (7) was a little apprehensive at first but now he loves it. One of his
                favorite things is to get dragged on his butt across the ground.

                One thing that I should mention, is that, Traction Kiting can be
                dangerous if not done properly or responsibly. Kids don't get hurt quite
                as easily as us old guys, but we don't want to put them in any kind of
                danger. Because of this, I've incorporated Safety systems into all the
                control systems that I let them fly with. If they have any problems, all
                they have to do is let go. The kite depowers and all is well. I only let
                them fly in certainwind conditions too.

                Both of my kids started flying a small stunt kite to learn basic kite
                controls. Then, when I felt they were ready. I let them fly larger kites
                in light wind. After getting comfortable with that we then moved on to
                the power aspect.

                I'm posting a couple of pics of my kids static flying a 4.0m kite. I
                have a few action pics but they're not scanned yet. As soon as I do I'll
                make sure I post them. I'll name the folder "kids". If any of you have
                pics of your kids doing any kiting post them in there also. Might
                encourage other kids to try kiting too.

                TTL
                Mike Berends
                BIG AIR WINDSPORTS
                Calgary, ALberta

                [Image] [Image]

              • Dave Raue
                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 15, 2001
                  Last summer my son tried kitesurfing, he was 14 at the time. He's been
                  flying traction kites for a while, mostly foilos on handles, so kite control
                  is no problem for him. His favorite kite was my old XXXL!! Anyway, he got
                  to the point where he could do the waterstart fine. This was during my
                  annual 3 week trip to Cape Cod at the end of the season, but he says he
                  wants to get out there again ASAP. He would have been doing even better,
                  but for his unwillingness to follow the Primary Directive of wind sports:
                  when there's wind, you GO. There were a bunch of days he didn't want to,
                  assuming wind would be there when HE wanted to go. Now he's wiser! I'll
                  report back on how he does this year.

                  -Dave