Re: [ksurfschool] Changing Free Air 2 line to 4 line

  • John Deane
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 9, 2001
      Thanks Mel
      Very complete info. Great.
      JD

      -----Original Message-----
      From: Mel <kitebord@...>
      To: ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com <ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com>
      Date: 08 April 2001 11:41
      Subject: Re: [ksurfschool] Changing Free Air 2 line to 4 line

      www.NorthShoreInc.com,
      >SlingShots are pictured on www.murrays.com, I don't have a contact for
      >B&J, but for Airush ask info@...
      >
      >> One
      >> other thing, do the front lines have to be exactly the same length as
      >> the back lines?
      >
      >No. There is a lot of adjustment range built into the systems mentioned, &
      >you can also adjust the position of the knots on the center leader AND the
      >back leaders. If necessary you could even get 27m lines from one
      >manufacturer & 33s from another & make it work with different length
      >leaders.
      >
      >Mel

    • John Deane
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 13, 2001
        Mel - or anyone

        I now have an adaptor kit - found a Maui Magic one. I had some problems
        keeping the kite in the air while adjusting it this morning so just a quick
        question - all 4 lines are 30m each, the normal bar leaders are 3m each
        side (for the back lines)but the leader of the adaptor kit is a lot shorter.
        It makes the 2 front lines about 1m shorter each side (at full adjustment)
        than the back lines.
        Should I get a new leader for the adaptor kit that would make it exactly the
        same length as the normal bar leaders?
        Hope I've explained myself ok.
        Tks for yr help
        JD

        >> Can anyone tell me about how to convert a 2 line bar to 4 line for
        >> Free Airs?
        >
        >Get an adapter kit from FLS, NSI, Bump&Jump, SlingShot or Airush (did I
        miss
        >any?).
        >
        >> I understand the depower lines go directly to the
        >> harness. Is this right?
        >
        >Most don't (I do, but I ride where it's SUPER gusty - check the kitesurf
        >group files under "MelsMegaMods"). They have a loop ("smart loop" or "trim
        >loop") which you hook into like a harness line.
        >
        >> If so, what do you use to connect the lines
        >> to the harness hook?
        >
        >Most use a loop. I use a snap shackle.
        >
        >> Are there any websites that show this?
        >
        >Mine's in the files, as well as some other home made units.
        >jeffc@... can tell you all about FLS, check
        www.NorthShoreInc.com,
        >SlingShots are pictured on www.murrays.com, I don't have a contact for
        >B&J, but for Airush ask info@...
        >
        >> One
        >> other thing, do the front lines have to be exactly the same length as
        >> the back lines?
        >
        >No. There is a lot of adjustment range built into the systems mentioned, &
        >you can also adjust the position of the knots on the center leader AND the
        >back leaders. If necessary you could even get 27m lines from one
        >manufacturer & 33s from another & make it work with different length
        >leaders.
        >
        >Mel

      • k man
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 13, 2001
          JD,

          You want the center leader to be about around 3 - 4 cm
          longer than the side leaders. You should set up your
          leader lines so that they are long enough to fully
          depower the kite you are using. For example, I am
          going to lengthen the leader lines on my 31" AirRush
          bar to allow me to fully depower the new ARX 21.5 that
          I purchased this year.

          I hope that helps!

          Kenny

          http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        • Mel
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 13, 2001
            John Deane <jdeane@...> wrote:

            > Should I get a new leader for the adaptor kit that would make it exactly
            the
            > same length as the normal bar leaders?

            Yes. Equal length lines is about "neutral", so that's a good place to start
            (with the adjustment strap at the middle of its range).

            Mel
          • John Deane
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 14, 2001
              Tks Kenny - so the front leaders and lines together should be a bit longer
              than the back lines. I'll have to wait until next week to try it on my Free
              Air 11.0 - it's blowing B7-8 for the next few days on this part of the Med.