Re: [ksurfschool] Waterlaunching open-celled foils [was Re: The biggest Ram Air wingonmarket.]

    Message 1 of 1 , Apr 8 4:52 PM
      First few techniques:
      1- Use handles
      2- Make sure you can turn the kite on a dime with your handles
      3- Tune your brake lines such that the kite can reverse fairly easily
      without applying too much force
      4- Don't pull, wait for the wind to create necessary line tension and
      then act when the line tension is sufficient (this comes with practice)
      5- Swim backward immediately AFTER you reverse relaunch the kite to
      make it rise faster
      6- Turn the kite on a dime immediately the moment it gets 5-10' off the
      water (in a reverse relaunch position) while continuing swimming
      backward
      7- When crashing, forget about everything else, just focus on the kite
      and try to get it in a preferred position (if the kite is in a trailing
      edge down position then it would be a no brainer)

      There are more (more related to how to keep the kite in the air after a
      collapse or luffing) and I may "document" all of them in the future on
      my web site (if I can find time these days!). And there are the
      techniques not to let the foil pull your shoulder out of their sockets

      These work best on flat water and no wave. And remember that you have
      only 1 minute so the faster you response to the situation (this and item
      4 seem somewhat contradictory so many has made mistake), the better
      chance you get it in the air.

      Hung.