Re: [ksurfschool] Changing Free Air 2 line to 4 line

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 6 , Apr 8, 2001
      <jdeane@...> wrote:

      > Can anyone tell me about how to convert a 2 line bar to 4 line for
      > Free Airs?

      Get an adapter kit from FLS, NSI, Bump&Jump, SlingShot or Airush (did I miss
      any?).

      > I understand the depower lines go directly to the
      > harness. Is this right?

      Most don't (I do, but I ride where it's SUPER gusty - check the kitesurf
      group files under "MelsMegaMods"). They have a loop ("smart loop" or "trim
      loop") which you hook into like a harness line.

      > If so, what do you use to connect the lines
      > to the harness hook?

      Most use a loop. I use a snap shackle.

      > Are there any websites that show this?

      Mine's in the files, as well as some other home made units.
      jeffc@... can tell you all about FLS, check www.NorthShoreInc.com,
      SlingShots are pictured on www.murrays.com, I don't have a contact for
      B&J, but for Airush ask info@...

      > One
      > other thing, do the front lines have to be exactly the same length as
      > the back lines?

      No. There is a lot of adjustment range built into the systems mentioned, &
      you can also adjust the position of the knots on the center leader AND the
      back leaders. If necessary you could even get 27m lines from one
      manufacturer & 33s from another & make it work with different length
      leaders.

      Mel
    • John Deane
      Message 2 of 6 , Apr 9, 2001
        Thanks Mel
        Very complete info. Great.
        JD

        >> Can anyone tell me about how to convert a 2 line bar to 4 line for
        >> Free Airs?
        >
        >Get an adapter kit from FLS, NSI, Bump&Jump, SlingShot or Airush (did I
        miss
        >any?).
        >
        >> I understand the depower lines go directly to the
        >> harness. Is this right?
        >
        >Most don't (I do, but I ride where it's SUPER gusty - check the kitesurf
        >group files under "MelsMegaMods"). They have a loop ("smart loop" or "trim
        >loop") which you hook into like a harness line.
        >
        >> If so, what do you use to connect the lines
        >> to the harness hook?
        >
        >Most use a loop. I use a snap shackle.
        >
        >> Are there any websites that show this?
        >
        >Mine's in the files, as well as some other home made units.
        >jeffc@... can tell you all about FLS, check
        www.NorthShoreInc.com,
        >SlingShots are pictured on www.murrays.com, I don't have a contact for
        >B&J, but for Airush ask info@...
        >
        >> One
        >> other thing, do the front lines have to be exactly the same length as
        >> the back lines?
        >
        >No. There is a lot of adjustment range built into the systems mentioned, &
        >you can also adjust the position of the knots on the center leader AND the
        >back leaders. If necessary you could even get 27m lines from one
        >manufacturer & 33s from another & make it work with different length
        >leaders.
        >
        >Mel

      • John Deane
        Message 3 of 6 , Apr 13, 2001
          Mel - or anyone

          I now have an adaptor kit - found a Maui Magic one. I had some problems
          keeping the kite in the air while adjusting it this morning so just a quick
          question - all 4 lines are 30m each, the normal bar leaders are 3m each
          side (for the back lines)but the leader of the adaptor kit is a lot shorter.
          It makes the 2 front lines about 1m shorter each side (at full adjustment)
          than the back lines.
          Should I get a new leader for the adaptor kit that would make it exactly the
          same length as the normal bar leaders?
          Hope I've explained myself ok.
          Tks for yr help
          JD

          >> Can anyone tell me about how to convert a 2 line bar to 4 line for
          >> Free Airs?
          >
          >Get an adapter kit from FLS, NSI, Bump&Jump, SlingShot or Airush (did I
          miss
          >any?).
          >
          >> I understand the depower lines go directly to the
          >> harness. Is this right?
          >
          >Most don't (I do, but I ride where it's SUPER gusty - check the kitesurf
          >group files under "MelsMegaMods"). They have a loop ("smart loop" or "trim
          >loop") which you hook into like a harness line.
          >
          >> If so, what do you use to connect the lines
          >> to the harness hook?
          >
          >Most use a loop. I use a snap shackle.
          >
          >> Are there any websites that show this?
          >
          >Mine's in the files, as well as some other home made units.
          >jeffc@... can tell you all about FLS, check
          www.NorthShoreInc.com,
          >SlingShots are pictured on www.murrays.com, I don't have a contact for
          >B&J, but for Airush ask info@...
          >
          >> One
          >> other thing, do the front lines have to be exactly the same length as
          >> the back lines?
          >
          >No. There is a lot of adjustment range built into the systems mentioned, &
          >you can also adjust the position of the knots on the center leader AND the
          >back leaders. If necessary you could even get 27m lines from one
          >manufacturer & 33s from another & make it work with different length
          >leaders.
          >
          >Mel

        • k man
          Message 4 of 6 , Apr 13, 2001
            JD,

            You want the center leader to be about around 3 - 4 cm
            longer than the side leaders. You should set up your
            leader lines so that they are long enough to fully
            depower the kite you are using. For example, I am
            going to lengthen the leader lines on my 31" AirRush
            bar to allow me to fully depower the new ARX 21.5 that
            I purchased this year.

            I hope that helps!

            Kenny

            http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
          • Mel
            Message 5 of 6 , Apr 13, 2001
              John Deane <jdeane@...> wrote:

              > Should I get a new leader for the adaptor kit that would make it exactly
              the
              > same length as the normal bar leaders?

              Yes. Equal length lines is about "neutral", so that's a good place to start
              (with the adjustment strap at the middle of its range).

              Mel
            • John Deane
              Message 6 of 6 , Apr 14, 2001
                Tks Kenny - so the front leaders and lines together should be a bit longer
                than the back lines. I'll have to wait until next week to try it on my Free
                Air 11.0 - it's blowing B7-8 for the next few days on this part of the Med.