RE: [ksurfschool] Re: [Fwd: [cankitesurf] The biggest Ram Air wing onmarket.] (com)

  • David Stanek
    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2001
      We have JOJO WET 10.0 - this size is good for riding in wind from 8-15
      knots. Also, new hot water re-launchable high A/R kite from JOJO - the
      "RAGE" Based on JOJO RM (kite of World Kiteskiing Champion 2001)is now in
      final test stage. . Closed leading edge foil similar to RM but with super
      short bridles and higher A0A. This will be high performance ram air kite
      for advanced riders and freestyle fanatics.. The first production kites will
      be available in early May 2001.
      Standard sizes will be from 3 to 10 sq.m.; custom order sizes in 12 & 14
      sq.m. will be available as well.
      Sorry, no more details for now

      Regards
      David
      www.skylinewings.com

      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 9, 2001
        --- In ksurfschool@y..., cglazier@h... wrote:

        > Is there any other kite that I should be considering for light
        > Vancouver winds?
        >
        > Chris G
        >

        >Dont have any experience on other huge kites to compare to but
        http://www.flysurfer.de 12 m speedair is a possibility. Just got it
        and flown only once on water, several times on land but impressed so
        far. One time on water I was having troubles with 15.5 AR5 in light
        wind, speedair pulled me right up. Waterlaunched easier than the 15.5
        (my AR5 technique SU%$^&) Doesnt really have same depower range as
        ar5 but seemed sufficient.Really like the safety depower and ease of
        relaunching following. Traig at monkey air . com has one and could
        probably give better info but also seemed to be impressed> MARK
      • cglazier@home.com
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 9, 2001
          Mark
          After a long swim in yesterday with my AR5 15.5 when the wind dropped
          below 8 knots, I am convinced that I want a big kite with:
          - relaunchablity (reverse launch is a must for very light winds)
          - wide wind range (4 line control for AOL adjustment)

          I am thinking of foils. Hung has always recommended foils for light
          airs. The Jojo and Mosquito are possibilities. The 4 line variable
          AOL system of the Peter Lynn ARC and the Flysurfer seem like they
          could give better range. And they eliminate the bridle (which seems
          to always tangle). I wonder why they don't make an ARC bigger that
          1120 (8.0m projected)?

          Keep us posted on how you like the Flysurfer Speedair. According to
          their website it has incredible wind range (hard to believe) so I am
          most interested in what it really behaves like.

          Chris G
          Vancouver

          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 9, 2001
            --- In ksurfschool@y..., cglazier@h... wrote:
            > Mark
            > After a long swim in yesterday with my AR5 15.5 when the wind
            dropped
            > below 8 knots, I am convinced that I want a big kite with:
            > - relaunchablity (reverse launch is a must for very light winds)
            > - wide wind range (4 line control for AOL adjustment)

            Dont know windspeed but seemed to easily reverselaunch in very light
            wind, even after deflating considerably. It holds air but not as good
            as my quadrifoil kitesurfer(only other closed foil). Only a problem
            on its trailing edge left sitting, It can deflate to where it wont
            launch in light wind(several minutes with small waves slapping)

            > I am thinking of foils. Hung has always recommended foils for light
            > airs. The Jojo and Mosquito are possibilities. The 4 line variable
            > AOL system of the Peter Lynn ARC and the Flysurfer seem like they
            > could give better range. And they eliminate the bridle (which seems
            > to always tangle)
            Flysurfer has an abundance of bridle with a couple of pulleys. I was
            at first concerned but have only had one end get folded up once that
            shook out with a pump of the bar. Interesting three line set up. ONe
            front line goes from the center of the bar up to near the bridle
            where it splits, goes to two separate pulleys,than back down to
            attach to the back lines. All the bridle lines are attached to these
            pulleys. Seems to pivot turn well for such a big kite.
            . I wonder why they don't make an ARC bigger that
            > 1120 (8.0m projected)?
            >
            > Keep us posted on how you like the Flysurfer Speedair. According to
            > their website it has incredible wind range (hard to believe) so I
            am
            > most interested in what it really behaves like.

            I think there claims may be similiar to F ones on the slider. Instead
            of spilling air like a tube kite it speeds the kite up making it more
            manageable. Probably with technique, the claims can be accurrate. It
            is doing something different than my other foils on handles with a
            little brake applied. When you are out of the loop, the trailing edge
            does have a crease in it but seems to fly faster and more forward in
            the window than my other foils would with same crease.In the loop the
            trailing edge is smooth and straight ,less power and the kite zooms
            to the edge.Amazingly stable as far to the edge it seems to go. Gust
            of wind could stall it when hovering overhead but would fall back and
            catch the wind. pulling in on the bar and cupping the trailing edge
            assured this. I love the ease of launch and landing (ONCE INFLATED)
            MARK

            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 9, 2001
              > Hi Chris,
              > Is there something you don't like about the Concept EX Waves (
              > http://www.conceptair.com/english/kite/kit_wha.htm ) which seem
              > comparable to the Flysurfers, but Canadian, and a little cheaper.
              > I was considering the NU Wave to learn on after seeing a couple
              > of kites out> near UBC when were out visiting in March break (the
              10th). Might that have
              > been you? If so I'm very grateful. I have not kept up on
              Kitesurfing since 95' and was please to see such progress.
              > I'm reasonably large (200lbs) and there is too much light wind
              > around here, so I'm following your thread with great interest.
              > Cheers,
              > Greg (in Waterloo, ON)

              Greg
              On the contrary, I like my New Wave 7.3. It is stable, water
              relaunchable, easy to fly, inexpensive etc. I don't know much about
              the EX waves. If they had a really big one I would definitely
              consider a Concept Air. Let's see what Hung says about his custom
              one. The New Wave 9.3 might be right for you.

              I would have been kitesurfing near UBC on March 10th if I wasn't in
              Dominican Republic kitesurfing on that day. By the way, one of the
              schools there uses New Waves to teach on.

              The ARC has 4 line AOL control which gives greater wind range but
              is more complex. I have an ARC 630 which I like but it is a much
              smaller kite. An ARC 1120 might be worth considering for you too.

              Marks latest post implies that the Flysurfer may not be as perfect as
              I had hoped. I'll watch for his further impressions.

              For myself, since I already have a Naish 15.5, I am looking for
              something even bigger and with easier light wind relaunchability.

              Chris G