Re: [ksurfschool] Re: [Fwd: [cankitesurf] The biggest Ram Air wing onmarket.]

    Message 1 of 7 , Apr 7, 2001
      Chris,

      For now, most of the big kites are semi-customed, this means that the
      manufacturers will only make the kite when you place the order (they did
      make prototype and tested them before the announcement). That what I
      "learned" when I tried to place an order for the C-quad 12.5 or the
      Concept Air 12.5.

      I have received my Concept Air 12.5 and can put up a picture in the file
      section of the group if you are interested (Haven't had a chance to
      really try it though)

      P.S. Michel was probably "inspired" by me (probably the "lightest"
      kitesurfer) ordering a Concept Air 12.5 so he went ahead and make the 16
      (I was actually very supprised by his announcement) - I am still not
      quite understand why none of the other foil vendors make foils larger
      than 12 m2 ???

      P.P.S. Of course, my Concept Air 12.5 is an opened cell (less expensive,
      higher performance than the closed cell).

      Hung.

    • cglazier@home.com
      Message 2 of 7 , Apr 7, 2001
        Hung
        Interesting. Tell us how you like the 12.5. I assume that it is an EX
        style kite. Unfortunately I am not yet at the level where I would go
        out with a non water relaunchable kite.
        So does that leave my choices for relaunchable light wind kites
        (under 10 knots) just the big Wipika Airblasts, or the old Mosquito
        9+ ?
        (The ARC 1120 and New Wave 9.3 are probably not big enough.)
        Is there any other kite that I should be considering for light
        Vancouver winds?

        Chris G

        > Chris,
        >
        > For now, most of the big kites are semi-customed, this means that
        the
        > manufacturers will only make the kite when you place the order
        (they did
        > make prototype and tested them before the announcement). That what
        > "learned" when I tried to place an order for the C-quad 12.5 or the
        > Concept Air 12.5.
        >
        > I have received my Concept Air 12.5 and can put up a picture in the
        file
        > section of the group if you are interested (Haven't had a chance to
        > really try it though)
        >
        > P.S. Michel was probably "inspired" by me (probably the "lightest"
        > kitesurfer) ordering a Concept Air 12.5 so he went ahead and make
        the 16
        > (I was actually very supprised by his announcement) - I am still not
        > quite understand why none of the other foil vendors make foils
        larger
        > than 12 m2 ???
        >
        > P.P.S. Of course, my Concept Air 12.5 is an opened cell (less
        expensive,
        > higher performance than the closed cell).
        >
        > Hung.
        >
        > cglazier@h... wrote:
        > >
        > > Has anybody seen or flown this monster. I can't find it on their
        > > website. And I have been waiting a year for their big New Wave 11
        > > which Michel keeps saying is "coming soon".

      • David Stanek
        Message 3 of 7 , Apr 7, 2001
          We have JOJO WET 10.0 - this size is good for riding in wind from 8-15
          knots. Also, new hot water re-launchable high A/R kite from JOJO - the
          "RAGE" Based on JOJO RM (kite of World Kiteskiing Champion 2001)is now in
          final test stage. . Closed leading edge foil similar to RM but with super
          short bridles and higher A0A. This will be high performance ram air kite
          for advanced riders and freestyle fanatics.. The first production kites will
          be available in early May 2001.
          Standard sizes will be from 3 to 10 sq.m.; custom order sizes in 12 & 14
          sq.m. will be available as well.
          Sorry, no more details for now

          Regards
          David
          www.skylinewings.com

        • mdelliott@waco.expresspersonnel.com
          Message 4 of 7 , Apr 9, 2001
            --- In ksurfschool@y..., cglazier@h... wrote:

            > Is there any other kite that I should be considering for light
            > Vancouver winds?
            >
            > Chris G
            >

            >Dont have any experience on other huge kites to compare to but
            http://www.flysurfer.de 12 m speedair is a possibility. Just got it
            and flown only once on water, several times on land but impressed so
            far. One time on water I was having troubles with 15.5 AR5 in light
            wind, speedair pulled me right up. Waterlaunched easier than the 15.5
            (my AR5 technique SU%$^&) Doesnt really have same depower range as
            ar5 but seemed sufficient.Really like the safety depower and ease of
            relaunching following. Traig at monkey air . com has one and could
            probably give better info but also seemed to be impressed> MARK
          • cglazier@home.com
            Message 5 of 7 , Apr 9, 2001
              Mark
              After a long swim in yesterday with my AR5 15.5 when the wind dropped
              below 8 knots, I am convinced that I want a big kite with:
              - relaunchablity (reverse launch is a must for very light winds)
              - wide wind range (4 line control for AOL adjustment)

              I am thinking of foils. Hung has always recommended foils for light
              airs. The Jojo and Mosquito are possibilities. The 4 line variable
              AOL system of the Peter Lynn ARC and the Flysurfer seem like they
              could give better range. And they eliminate the bridle (which seems
              to always tangle). I wonder why they don't make an ARC bigger that
              1120 (8.0m projected)?

              Keep us posted on how you like the Flysurfer Speedair. According to
              their website it has incredible wind range (hard to believe) so I am
              most interested in what it really behaves like.

              Chris G
              Vancouver

              Message 6 of 7 , Apr 9, 2001
                --- In ksurfschool@y..., cglazier@h... wrote:
                > Mark
                > After a long swim in yesterday with my AR5 15.5 when the wind
                dropped
                > below 8 knots, I am convinced that I want a big kite with:
                > - relaunchablity (reverse launch is a must for very light winds)
                > - wide wind range (4 line control for AOL adjustment)

                Dont know windspeed but seemed to easily reverselaunch in very light
                wind, even after deflating considerably. It holds air but not as good
                as my quadrifoil kitesurfer(only other closed foil). Only a problem
                on its trailing edge left sitting, It can deflate to where it wont
                launch in light wind(several minutes with small waves slapping)

                > I am thinking of foils. Hung has always recommended foils for light
                > airs. The Jojo and Mosquito are possibilities. The 4 line variable
                > AOL system of the Peter Lynn ARC and the Flysurfer seem like they
                > could give better range. And they eliminate the bridle (which seems
                > to always tangle)
                Flysurfer has an abundance of bridle with a couple of pulleys. I was
                at first concerned but have only had one end get folded up once that
                shook out with a pump of the bar. Interesting three line set up. ONe
                front line goes from the center of the bar up to near the bridle
                where it splits, goes to two separate pulleys,than back down to
                attach to the back lines. All the bridle lines are attached to these
                pulleys. Seems to pivot turn well for such a big kite.
                . I wonder why they don't make an ARC bigger that
                > 1120 (8.0m projected)?
                >
                > Keep us posted on how you like the Flysurfer Speedair. According to
                > their website it has incredible wind range (hard to believe) so I
                am
                > most interested in what it really behaves like.

                I think there claims may be similiar to F ones on the slider. Instead
                of spilling air like a tube kite it speeds the kite up making it more
                manageable. Probably with technique, the claims can be accurrate. It
                is doing something different than my other foils on handles with a
                little brake applied. When you are out of the loop, the trailing edge
                does have a crease in it but seems to fly faster and more forward in
                the window than my other foils would with same crease.In the loop the
                trailing edge is smooth and straight ,less power and the kite zooms
                to the edge.Amazingly stable as far to the edge it seems to go. Gust
                of wind could stall it when hovering overhead but would fall back and
                catch the wind. pulling in on the bar and cupping the trailing edge
                assured this. I love the ease of launch and landing (ONCE INFLATED)
                MARK

                Message 7 of 7 , Apr 9, 2001
                  > Hi Chris,
                  > Is there something you don't like about the Concept EX Waves (
                  > http://www.conceptair.com/english/kite/kit_wha.htm ) which seem
                  > comparable to the Flysurfers, but Canadian, and a little cheaper.
                  > I was considering the NU Wave to learn on after seeing a couple
                  > of kites out> near UBC when were out visiting in March break (the
                  10th). Might that have
                  > been you? If so I'm very grateful. I have not kept up on
                  Kitesurfing since 95' and was please to see such progress.
                  > I'm reasonably large (200lbs) and there is too much light wind
                  > around here, so I'm following your thread with great interest.
                  > Cheers,
                  > Greg (in Waterloo, ON)

                  Greg
                  On the contrary, I like my New Wave 7.3. It is stable, water
                  relaunchable, easy to fly, inexpensive etc. I don't know much about
                  the EX waves. If they had a really big one I would definitely
                  consider a Concept Air. Let's see what Hung says about his custom
                  one. The New Wave 9.3 might be right for you.

                  I would have been kitesurfing near UBC on March 10th if I wasn't in
                  Dominican Republic kitesurfing on that day. By the way, one of the
                  schools there uses New Waves to teach on.

                  The ARC has 4 line AOL control which gives greater wind range but
                  is more complex. I have an ARC 630 which I like but it is a much
                  smaller kite. An ARC 1120 might be worth considering for you too.

                  Marks latest post implies that the Flysurfer may not be as perfect as
                  I had hoped. I'll watch for his further impressions.

                  For myself, since I already have a Naish 15.5, I am looking for
                  something even bigger and with easier light wind relaunchability.

                  Chris G