Re: [ksurfschool] [Fwd: [cankitesurf] The biggest Ram Air wing on market.]

  • Dave Raue
    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 7 6:30 AM
      The middle sections of the Mossie 7.5 and 9+ are the same so far as I know,
      same profile, chord,etc. I've joked about it in the past, but I'm still
      waiting for some enterprising lunatic to get a couple old 7.5's and graft
      the middle sections into a 9+. The result would be something like a Mossie
      20+ with an absurdly high AR. The 9+ is already the highest AR foil I know
      of, 4.8 or something like that. The bridle would need to be worked out, but
      the boys on foildesign@yahoogroups.com are good at that stuff. The
      banana-effect would probably be an issue too, although the 9+ is amazingly
      banana free for such a large, high AR kite. Hmmm, would you need an 8' bar
      to fly the thing? Maybe this would be an interesting winter project. I
      think I'll take it up on foildesign.....

      -Dave

      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7 7:27 AM
        It would be more expensive but easier to stack Arcs.... but it looks like
        there are some great deals on Mosi's out there nowadays!

        Cutting off the end of each kite to the rectanguglar section would make the
        AR what? Maybe 3.75... so the finished product would be 7.5.... phew, sounds
        hard to keep in a good shape, even for the foildesign guys! The highest
        aspect ratio commercial kite I know of is the Libre Bora in big sizes,
        which is barely over 5 (the smaller ones are lower AR).

        Mark Frasier

        > The middle sections of the Mossie 7.5 and 9+ are the same so far as I
        know,
        > same profile, chord,etc. I've joked about it in the past, but I'm still
        > waiting for some enterprising lunatic to get a couple old 7.5's and graft
        > the middle sections into a 9+. The result would be something like a
        Mossie
        > 20+ with an absurdly high AR. The 9+ is already the highest AR foil I
        know
        > of, 4.8 or something like that. The bridle would need to be worked out,
        but
        > the boys on foildesign@yahoogroups.com are good at that stuff. The
        > banana-effect would probably be an issue too, although the 9+ is amazingly
        > banana free for such a large, high AR kite. Hmmm, would you need an 8'
        bar
        > to fly the thing? Maybe this would be an interesting winter project. I
        > think I'll take it up on foildesign.....
        >
        > -Dave

        http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      • David Stanek
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7 9:36 AM
          Bora's aspect ratios in specifications are measured from "flat" surface
          (similar as with Wipi or Nash) - from 4.63 on 2.8m2 to 5.01 on 8.5m2. JOJO
          kites RM have projected A/R 4.8 in all sizes . I think the "flat"A/R on RM
          is close to 5.7
          Still, I'm not sure how some manufacturers got the data - highest A/R on
          racing paragliders is around 5.2 with flat A/R 6.5 and all these wings look
          like "banana" compare to Nash 5.5 or other high A/R sleds.
          Projected A/R (alias "in-flight") is what really matter - that's your
          engine..

          Mark, someone found and returned one tandem hitch ( must be yours?? )just
          before we left the Roach - send me an e-mail with your address and I'll mail
          it to you.

          Regards
          David