[Fwd: [cankitesurf] The biggest Ram Air wing on market.]

    Message 1 of 4 , Apr 6, 2001
      Forget about the Concept Air 12.5, the C-Quad 12.5, the Air Blast 16.4,
      the Naish 23.5 (they are somewhat similar in power), the Concept Air 16
      m2 as announced by Michel on the Canadian Kitesurf group is simply the
      most powerful kite in the world!

      For the FIRST TIME in kitesurfing history, there is a kite that I dare
      not use.

      The largest kite I dare to use is one of the Concept Air 12.5 m2, C-Quad
      12.5, AirBlast 16.4 or Naish 23.5.

      Since I am only 125 lb, the largest kite a 175 lb person ever dare to
      use should be around 12.5 * 175/125 = 17.5 m2 Concept Air.

      It looks like Concept Air is the first Kitesurfing manufacturer to
      realize the light wind potential of kitesurfing.

      I hope all the other vendors follow the foosteps of Concept Air such
      that all of us can do magic in light wind (as I have been doing in the
      last few years)!

      Hung.
    • Dave Raue
      Message 2 of 4 , Apr 7, 2001
        The middle sections of the Mossie 7.5 and 9+ are the same so far as I know,
        same profile, chord,etc. I've joked about it in the past, but I'm still
        waiting for some enterprising lunatic to get a couple old 7.5's and graft
        the middle sections into a 9+. The result would be something like a Mossie
        20+ with an absurdly high AR. The 9+ is already the highest AR foil I know
        of, 4.8 or something like that. The bridle would need to be worked out, but
        the boys on foildesign@yahoogroups.com are good at that stuff. The
        banana-effect would probably be an issue too, although the 9+ is amazingly
        banana free for such a large, high AR kite. Hmmm, would you need an 8' bar
        to fly the thing? Maybe this would be an interesting winter project. I
        think I'll take it up on foildesign.....

        -Dave

        > Forget about the Concept Air 12.5, the C-Quad 12.5, the Air Blast 16.4,
        > the Naish 23.5 (they are somewhat similar in power), the Concept Air 16
        > m2 as announced by Michel on the Canadian Kitesurf group is simply the
        > most powerful kite in the world!
        >
        > For the FIRST TIME in kitesurfing history, there is a kite that I dare
        > not use.
        >
        > The largest kite I dare to use is one of the Concept Air 12.5 m2, C-Quad
        > 12.5, AirBlast 16.4 or Naish 23.5.
        >
        > Since I am only 125 lb, the largest kite a 175 lb person ever dare to
        > use should be around 12.5 * 175/125 = 17.5 m2 Concept Air.
        >
        > It looks like Concept Air is the first Kitesurfing manufacturer to
        > realize the light wind potential of kitesurfing.
        >
        > I hope all the other vendors follow the foosteps of Concept Air such
        > that all of us can do magic in light wind (as I have been doing in the
        > last few years)!

      • Mark Frasier
        Message 3 of 4 , Apr 7, 2001
          It would be more expensive but easier to stack Arcs.... but it looks like
          there are some great deals on Mosi's out there nowadays!

          Cutting off the end of each kite to the rectanguglar section would make the
          AR what? Maybe 3.75... so the finished product would be 7.5.... phew, sounds
          hard to keep in a good shape, even for the foildesign guys! The highest
          aspect ratio commercial kite I know of is the Libre Bora in big sizes,
          which is barely over 5 (the smaller ones are lower AR).

          Mark Frasier

          > The middle sections of the Mossie 7.5 and 9+ are the same so far as I
          know,
          > same profile, chord,etc. I've joked about it in the past, but I'm still
          > waiting for some enterprising lunatic to get a couple old 7.5's and graft
          > the middle sections into a 9+. The result would be something like a
          Mossie
          > 20+ with an absurdly high AR. The 9+ is already the highest AR foil I
          know
          > of, 4.8 or something like that. The bridle would need to be worked out,
          but
          > the boys on foildesign@yahoogroups.com are good at that stuff. The
          > banana-effect would probably be an issue too, although the 9+ is amazingly
          > banana free for such a large, high AR kite. Hmmm, would you need an 8'
          bar
          > to fly the thing? Maybe this would be an interesting winter project. I
          > think I'll take it up on foildesign.....
          >
          > -Dave

          http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

        • David Stanek
          Message 4 of 4 , Apr 7, 2001
            Bora's aspect ratios in specifications are measured from "flat" surface
            (similar as with Wipi or Nash) - from 4.63 on 2.8m2 to 5.01 on 8.5m2. JOJO
            kites RM have projected A/R 4.8 in all sizes . I think the "flat"A/R on RM
            is close to 5.7
            Still, I'm not sure how some manufacturers got the data - highest A/R on
            racing paragliders is around 5.2 with flat A/R 6.5 and all these wings look
            like "banana" compare to Nash 5.5 or other high A/R sleds.
            Projected A/R (alias "in-flight") is what really matter - that's your
            engine..

            Mark, someone found and returned one tandem hitch ( must be yours?? )just
            before we left the Roach - send me an e-mail with your address and I'll mail
            it to you.

            Regards
            David