remove from mailing list

  • Douglas Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 31, 2001
      Please remove us from your mailing list

      Marguerite Smith

      -----Original Message-----
      From: ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com [mailto:ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com]
      Sent: March 30, 2001 6:25 AM
      To: ksurfschool@yahoogroups.com
      Subject: [ksurfschool] Digest Number 263

      There are 4 messages in this issue.

      Topics in this digest:

      1. Re: Problems with lines
      From: cglazier@...
      2. Re: Problems with lines
      From: "Colin Lowe" <colinlowe@...>
      3. Re: The perfect learning kite!
      From: Hung Vu <hungvu@...>
      4. 4 lines for a AR5 to a AR3.5
      From: martyn gilson <martyngilson@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 13:57:54 -0000
      From: cglazier@...
      Subject: Re: Problems with lines

      Colin
      I think that Q powerline is the only kite line that can be used
      without sleeving. New Wave lines do need sleeving.
      I got sleeve material at my local toy kite shop. Here is a site where
      they have pictures explaining how to sleeve kite lines.
      http://www.10-again.com/sleeve.htm

      Chris G

      --- In ksurfschool@y..., "Colin Lowe" <colinlowe@j...> wrote:
      > Hi all,
      >
      > I have a Concept Air "New Wave 6.3" kite and use it with the
      standard lines
      > and bar that came with the kite when new. Generally the lines are
      still in
      > good condition however I have recently noticed that at the kite end
      of the
      > main control lines, where there is a small loop that you feed back
      through
      > it's self, to connect to the kite, this loop is worn through the
      yellow
      > outer material of the lines and has exposed the central core of the
      line.

      > Q1. Is it common practice to cut the line and re-make the loop
      again? If
      > so can I do this myself, or is it best to go to a sail
      maker/repairer to to
      > the job for me? The original is stiched back on it's self to make
      the loop.

      > Q2. Are there any add on accesesories that can be fitted to
      improve the
      > connection between the kite and lines, to use instead of the
      standard end of
      > line loop type of connection.
      >
      > Regards
      > Colin.

      Message: 2
      Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 17:44:23 +0200
      From: "Colin Lowe" <colinlowe@...>

      Dwight,

      Thanks for the link http://www.realknots.com/knots/sloops.htm I have now cut
      down my lines and made new loops using the "Double Figure of Eight Knot"

      I should have concentrated more when I was in the scouts several years
      ago!!!!

      Thanks once again
      Regards
      Colin Lowe
      Barcelona Spain.

      > Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 05:15:11 -0500
      > From: "Dwight & Jacky" <fishersfort@...>
      > Subject: Re: Problems with lines
      >
      > I use the double figure eight knot shown here.
      > http://www.realknots.com/knots/sloops.htm with this knot you can use the
      > loop it makes, to form another larkshead (the loop you feed back on
      itself).

      > I don't know what line CA is using now, but with Q powerline this knot
      works
      > well. Another idea is to contact your local "toy" kite shop. These shops
      > know how to redo line ends.
      >
      > Dwight
      >

      > > Hi all,
      > >
      > > I have a Concept Air "New Wave 6.3" kite and use it with the standard
      > lines
      > > and bar that came with the kite when new. Generally the lines are still
      in
      > > good condition however I have recently noticed that at the kite end of
      the
      > > main control lines, where there is a small loop that you feed back
      through
      > > it's self, to connect to the kite, this loop is worn through the yellow
      > > outer material of the lines and has exposed the central core of the
      line.

      > > Q1. Is it common practice to cut the line and re-make the loop again?
      > If
      > > so can I do this myself, or is it best to go to a sail maker/repairer to
      > > the job for me? The original is stiched back on it's self to make the
      > loop.
      > >
      > > Q2. Are there any add on accesesories that can be fitted to improve
      the
      > > connection between the kite and lines, to use instead of the standard
      end
      > of
      > > line loop type of connection.
      > >
      > > Regards
      > > Colin.

      Message: 3
      Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2001 14:40:50 -0500
      From: Hung Vu <hungvu@...>
      Subject: Re: The perfect learning kite!

      David,

      Have you ever flown a C-Quad 2.2? It is a very small kite and probably
      the lowest aspect ratio of all the C-Quads (each C-Quad has a different
      aspect ratio). I first learned power kiting on a Wipika 5.0 which is
      around 3/2 the size of the C-Quad 2.2.

      Furthermore, the C-Quad 2.2 is actually a "tamed" kite and not
      as "twitchy" as one would expect (unless you start using the brake lines
      extensively or flying in extreme strong wind which a beginner should not
      do). You can even fly it using only the front lines. I even flew it
      with a 4 line Naish bar (OK but handles are still better).

      Flying the C-Quad 2.2 remind me the old days when I had fun learning
      my 4 line stunt kite (that's why the recommendation). However, I
      remembered got bore with my 4 line stunt kite after roughly one week!
      So instead buying a leaner kite, a beginner should get a small "real
      thing" such as the C-Quad 2.2.

      Overall, it's a "high performance" kite for an expert in very strong
      wind but "tamed" enough for a beginner in learning wind.

      At $140 US, it's hard to beat. How much do you sell a comparable JoJo
      Instinct?

      Ofcourse, there is the packing challenge...

      P.S. A newbie MUST NOT fly a kite near people regardless of the type of
      kite (even an expert should not do that)

      Hung.

      David Stanek wrote:

      > Hung,
      > With all the respect - take your time and try to fly more models of kites
      > before posting these kind of statements. There are more aspects you have
      > consider besides the "pulling power" and the price. Having lots of power
      is
      > not necessarry the best feature for learner's kite. I'll rather suggest
      > Q2000 series, JOJO Instincts or other lower AR ram-air kites which are
      easy
      > to control and don't have any structural parts which can easily brake on
      > hard landings so often associated with learning process.
      > C-Quads are great and affordable kites but I'll not really reccomend these
      > for learning - as all rigid kite these are much easier to brake, a bit
      more
      > tricky to keep on the ground, more tricky to pack and carry around etc..
      > For sure not the safest kite for newbie - just imagine a begginer
      overflying
      > the "window" ... C-Quad will start flying on its own .. hitting accidently
      > someone with it's stiff leading edge can ruin your day...
      > As far as the power output and the overall performance of kites goes -
      good
      > "side-by-side" tests are the most objective indicators.
      > Still, it is nice to see you so pumped whenever you try new stuff...
      >
      > David
      > www.skylinewings.com

      Message: 4
      Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2001 09:49:17 +0100 (BST)
      From: martyn gilson <martyngilson@...>
      Subject: 4 lines for a AR5 to a AR3.5

      Hi,

      I have an AR5 11.5M and a AR3.5 7M kites. I don't
      want to buy another set of lines to 4 line my 7M.
      Has anyone experience of using the AR5 lines with the
      7M kite?

      Are the line lengths significantly different? I think
      it is possible, any advice?

      Cheers