Re: [ksurfschool] fall kite vacation

  • Dave Raue
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 24, 2001
      Bali is part of Indonesia, but is Hindu instead of Moslem. It's a VERY
      beautiful, exotic and exciting place. Well worth the trip half way around
      the world. Plan on 2 weeks, you'll want to do a lot of sightseeing.
      Beaches are nice, big surfing scene, Bali can get huge swell. The beaches
      tend to either international backpacker type or on luxo-resorts. No idea
      about wind sports. Do lots of research before going, it's very special.

      Dave
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 24, 2001
      • Remtgnow@AOL.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 24, 2001
          Thanks Chris and Dave.
          How are the Accomodations @ Cabarete?
          My beach spouse needs and demands excellent facilities and my happiness level
          is directly related...
          Still need your own machine gun down there?
          When is their rainy season adn any idea of the wind sp. in fall?
          Phil B
        • Dave Raue
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 24, 2001
            Hi Phil,

            I stayed at Residencia Dominicana. Clean, good food, CHEAP (~$25/night) but
            very simple. RD is nice cause it's run by the same guy that does the
            kitesurfing operation, so transport is easy, other kitesurfers there, etc.
            There are some all inclusive resorts too. Check out:

            http://www.hispaniola.com/Cabarete/index.html

            http://www.flyhighandsurf.com/

            http://www.hispaniola.com/res-dom/index.html

            No idea about all the other stuff. Cabarete is a fun and lively place, but
            it IS third world - i.e., not sanitized, not Disney-like, no Gucci's, no
            Cartier's, no fancy Palm Beach stuff. But I'd definately go back.

            -Dave
            > My beach spouse needs and demands excellent facilities and my happiness
            level
            > is directly related...
            > Still need your own machine gun down there?
            > When is their rainy season adn any idea of the wind sp. in fall?
            > Phil B

          • Rick
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 25, 2001
              Hey Phil,

              From what I saw in Cabarete, the accommodations are ok, but generally not
              super fancy. You might consider staying at the El Magnifico:
              http://netwiz.net/~keith/vela/elmag.html

              It is on the eastern end of Cabarete Bay, the opposite side from the
              kitesurfing activity unfortunately. The beach front French restaurant there
              is quite good, open air and low key. As to wind in the fall, I had always
              heard that the early spring was the best time for wind there. On the other
              hand I remember quite strong afternoon convection winds kicking in just next
              door on the north coast of Haiti in August, 24 years ago! You might
              checkout: http://www.isracam.co.il/dominican/windsurf.html for rainy season
              info.

              You can refer to: http://www.windsurfer.com/newsite/TravelDetail.cfm?ID=10
              for monthly wind stats.

              When I was there it was low key and reasonably secure. It is a friendly
              place and the afternoon winds are often good.

              Have a great trip,
              Rick

              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 25, 2001
                Hi Phil,

                Something to keep in mind about the Cabarete wind story - the context is
                invariably WINDSURFING. Whatever the season, my impression is that winds
                tend to build over the course of the day, so you don't tend to see any
                windsurfers in the morning. It can be nice 6 kts in AM and be NUKIN' by
                5pm. Apparently the season just dictates how high they build. But you can
                easily kitesurf in wind that the windsurfers ignore. I had a number of days
                the we could kitesurf all day, just had to switch down kites - start with 9m
                foils, end up with 5m (or less). There were a few days when even 4m Mossie
                was way too big and everybody gave up! At one point I rescued Stefan (who
                you'll meet) - wind came up too much, he got overpowered but made it in OK
                and was clinging to a huge log washed up on the beach to avoid getting blown
                away (or worse). He had Mossie 7.5 and wind went from about 16 to 25kts!!!
                At the time all the FlyHighandSurf crew was using Mossies, the 7.5 seemed to
                get the most use. I was there in late Feb, FWIW.

                -Dave