Re: [ksurfschool] fall kite vacation

  • Dave Raue
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 24, 2001
      Bali is part of Indonesia, but is Hindu instead of Moslem. It's a VERY
      beautiful, exotic and exciting place. Well worth the trip half way around
      the world. Plan on 2 weeks, you'll want to do a lot of sightseeing.
      Beaches are nice, big surfing scene, Bali can get huge swell. The beaches
      tend to either international backpacker type or on luxo-resorts. No idea
      about wind sports. Do lots of research before going, it's very special.

      Dave
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 24, 2001
        DAve R.
        I'm going dowm 4/7 -4/14 and maybe again during the the end of April or
        beginning of may.
        2 more weeks to go.
        BTW/ cross Aruba off your kiting location list.
        Dead offshore, gusty and lots(and I means lots!) of windsurfers who want to
        sail w/you right under your kite.
        I got my new 11.6 wipka airblast!!
        Still hasn't been out of the bag.
        Can't wait!!
        I want to plan a 2 wk vacation imn late sept. or Oct.
        So far, Maui is Still very high on the list.
        What to do!
        Phil B
      • Remtgnow@AOL.com
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 24, 2001
        • Remtgnow@AOL.com
          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 24, 2001
            Thanks Chris and Dave.
            How are the Accomodations @ Cabarete?
            My beach spouse needs and demands excellent facilities and my happiness level
            is directly related...
            Still need your own machine gun down there?
            When is their rainy season adn any idea of the wind sp. in fall?
            Phil B
          • Dave Raue
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 24, 2001
              Hi Phil,

              I stayed at Residencia Dominicana. Clean, good food, CHEAP (~$25/night) but
              very simple. RD is nice cause it's run by the same guy that does the
              kitesurfing operation, so transport is easy, other kitesurfers there, etc.
              There are some all inclusive resorts too. Check out:

              http://www.hispaniola.com/Cabarete/index.html

              http://www.flyhighandsurf.com/

              http://www.hispaniola.com/res-dom/index.html

              No idea about all the other stuff. Cabarete is a fun and lively place, but
              it IS third world - i.e., not sanitized, not Disney-like, no Gucci's, no
              Cartier's, no fancy Palm Beach stuff. But I'd definately go back.

              -Dave
              > My beach spouse needs and demands excellent facilities and my happiness
              level
              > is directly related...
              > Still need your own machine gun down there?
              > When is their rainy season adn any idea of the wind sp. in fall?
              > Phil B

            • Rick
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 25, 2001
                Hey Phil,

                From what I saw in Cabarete, the accommodations are ok, but generally not
                super fancy. You might consider staying at the El Magnifico:
                http://netwiz.net/~keith/vela/elmag.html

                It is on the eastern end of Cabarete Bay, the opposite side from the
                kitesurfing activity unfortunately. The beach front French restaurant there
                is quite good, open air and low key. As to wind in the fall, I had always
                heard that the early spring was the best time for wind there. On the other
                hand I remember quite strong afternoon convection winds kicking in just next
                door on the north coast of Haiti in August, 24 years ago! You might
                checkout: http://www.isracam.co.il/dominican/windsurf.html for rainy season
                info.

                You can refer to: http://www.windsurfer.com/newsite/TravelDetail.cfm?ID=10
                for monthly wind stats.

                When I was there it was low key and reasonably secure. It is a friendly
                place and the afternoon winds are often good.

                Have a great trip,
                Rick

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 25, 2001
                  Hi Phil,

                  Something to keep in mind about the Cabarete wind story - the context is
                  invariably WINDSURFING. Whatever the season, my impression is that winds
                  tend to build over the course of the day, so you don't tend to see any
                  windsurfers in the morning. It can be nice 6 kts in AM and be NUKIN' by
                  5pm. Apparently the season just dictates how high they build. But you can
                  easily kitesurf in wind that the windsurfers ignore. I had a number of days
                  the we could kitesurf all day, just had to switch down kites - start with 9m
                  foils, end up with 5m (or less). There were a few days when even 4m Mossie
                  was way too big and everybody gave up! At one point I rescued Stefan (who
                  you'll meet) - wind came up too much, he got overpowered but made it in OK
                  and was clinging to a huge log washed up on the beach to avoid getting blown
                  away (or worse). He had Mossie 7.5 and wind went from about 16 to 25kts!!!
                  At the time all the FlyHighandSurf crew was using Mossies, the 7.5 seemed to
                  get the most use. I was there in late Feb, FWIW.

                  -Dave