Re: [ksurfschool] Smart loop question

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 24, 2001
      I adjust the strap on my AR5 so my arms & waist are both straight in the
      average prevailing conditions. That way it's easier to hang on. When a
      gust hits, just bend at the waist, in the lulls, just bend your arms.

      When powered up there's less rear line tension, & I once rode for 6 hours
      nonstop rarely hooking in, but when sheeted in (strap set long for straight
      arms in lighter winds) it can be tiring after a while. NSI's Ken Winner
      smart loop system uses a bungie harness line that takes some of the effort
      off, but still allows sheeting. I took some measurements: doubled 1/4"
      (6mm) bungie, through clear tubing (seems like vinyl, but I'm not sure) 1/2"
      (13mm) ID x 5/8" (16mm), 11" from the inside of the loop to the control bar,
      tied with no preload by what looks like a square knot but with an extra turn
      through (don't know the name). I think DaKine makes some harness line boom
      straps that could be used with bungie instead of line.

      I don't know if I'll actually try this, since I recently realized it would
      seem to require significant effort to sheet in to unhook in the really big
      gusts (Rainer also just mentioned this is in fact the case). Some of you
      may still like it.