The "unfoldable" C-Quad 2.2!

    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 19, 2001
      I just got my C-Quad 2.2 for high wind kiteskiing. I got it out of the
      bag and since then have not been able to fold it back into the same bag.

      Can someone shred some light to what a "mere mortal" like me suppose to
      do to fold the Cquad 2.2? yes, I have read the instruction carefully
      and have seen the gif animation at
      http://www.quadrifoil.com/PeterLynn/PLfold%20cquad.htm

      I have heard that folding a C-Quad is difficult but never believed that
      it's that difficult (I have seen a number of people folding C-Quad in
      the past).

      After "having wrestled" with this for the whole evening, I now feel very
      humble and start to think that successfully folding the C-quad is an
      entrance test to the exclusive C-Quad club.

      Hung.
    • Peter Halt
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 20, 2001
        Hi Hung,
        Did you get the open blue bag or the closed yellow
        bag?
        If you have the open bag, just stick an end of the
        main spar into the bag and coil the kite around in a
        circle until the whole leading edge is in the bag.
        Then tuck in the rest.
        If you have the closed bag, you have to fold it into a
        figure 8 and pray it doesn't snap. Its a pretty
        strong spar and should be OK if its not too cold.
        Hold both leading edge tips together, reach out and
        grab the middle of the leading edge and twist it into
        a figure 8. You can also make a single loop with 1/2
        to 2/3 of the leading edge, slip it into the bag with
        the rest hanging out, and then feed the rest slowly
        into the bag. Once you get the hang of it, its not
        too bad. I find the open bags easier to deal with.
        When itt really cold, I don't even try and fold it, I
        just bend it enough to fit in my car until I can warm
        it up.
        Peter

        http://personal.mail.yahoo.com/
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 20, 2001
          Peter Halt wrote:
          > If you have the closed bag, you have to fold it into a
          > figure 8 and pray it doesn't snap. Its a pretty
          > strong spar and should be OK if its not too cold.
          > Hold both leading edge tips together, reach out and
          > grab the middle of the leading edge and twist it into
          > a figure 8. You can also make a single loop with 1/2

          I got the small yellow closed bag 75 cm in diameter (why are they still
          selling these?). I think I'll forget about the bag and just tie the two
          leading edge tips and the batten tips together with a string or some
          sort. This would make a circle of 150 cm diameter (still fairly
          manageable) and avoiding me all the hassles and the risk of breaking the
          leading spar.

          I'm glad I only have a 2.2 and not a larger C-Quad...

          Hung.
        • Mark Frasier
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 20, 2001
            > I got the small yellow closed bag 75 cm in diameter (why are they still
            > selling these?).

            Because they are better! :) I'll send you a side-fit bag if you like, I
            don't like it at all. It's sized for a 10.5 CQ so it should be super easy to
            get the 2.2 in it.

            Is the LE spar black or white? The fiberglas spars are white, the carbon/FG
            hybrid spars are black. It's pretty tough to get a black spar coiled down to
            the size of the 2.2 bag without snapping. I got a 2.2 that said it had a FG
            spar but it was actually carbon.

            > I think I'll forget about the bag and just tie the two
            > leading edge tips and the batten tips together with a string or some
            > sort. This would make a circle of 150 cm diameter (still fairly
            > manageable) and avoiding me all the hassles and the risk of breaking the
            > leading spar.

            Don't give up on the bag yet. It's easy once you get it down. I pack my CQ's
            faster than most folks pack their open-celled foils. The string scheme
            sounds very tangly, even by c-quad standards! I'll try to get some video of
            my method of packing and post it somewhere. I think my method is the
            easiest, but most of the CQ flyers around here use the "tail grabbing"
            method.

            BTW, the spars are supposed to be more durable when cold. There was a thread
            about this on rec.kites a few years ago and some spar manufacturer posted
            the numbers - the strength was some fractional amount higher at 0 degrees
            than at 70F. The fittings are more fragile, though. The spars start to get
            weak when they are left in a hot car.

            I just got back from SBBB - I made a soft bag to throw all my CQ's in (6 of
            them). I packed the 10.5, 8.5 & 4.2 in "normal" size bags (the size the 3.2,
            etc, comes in). No broken spars on the way out or back. They're pretty
            strong when they're all packed together!

            Good luck,
            Mark Frasier
          • Peter Halt
            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 21, 2001
              I agree with Mark,
              Don't give up yet.
              The 2.2 is the hardest to pack,
              but its not that hard.

              It isn't more brittle when cold, its just stiffer
              and harder to pack with numb hands. : )

              Mark, did you just put the soft bag on the plane with
              the rest of your luggage? I'm amazed nothing broke.
              Peter

              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 21, 2001
                on 3/21/01 8:49 AM, Peter Halt at pshalt@... wrote:

                > I agree with Mark,
                > Don't give up yet.
                > The 2.2 is the hardest to pack,
                > but its not that hard.
                >
                > It isn't more brittle when cold, its just stiffer
                > and harder to pack with numb hands. : )
                >
                > Mark, did you just put the soft bag on the plane with
                > the rest of your luggage? I'm amazed nothing broke.
                > Peter

                Yeah, just a soft bag w/6 kites - they fit snuggly in the big bag so all the
                LE spars line up into a big stiff circle - seemed pretty rugged. I was going
                to put in a masonite circle on each side butr after I had them all stacked
                in it didn't seem necessary.

                Mark Frasier