Re: [ksurfschool] Beginner board advice

  • Mel
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 6, 2001
      <banfield@...> writes:

      > I figure the gusty conditions favor a floaty directional
      > over a wakeboard (in spite of the ease of avoiding jibing).

      Compared to sailboards, kiteboards are incredibly easy to jibe.
      Unlike jibing sailboards, if you've got decent kite skills (spend all your
      free time flying the kite by itself before you get on a board) you don't
      need to worry about falling off a plane (just move the kite to power you
      back up), or digging the front rail too much (just move the kite & the board
      will follow), or even switching your feet at the right moment (just sail out
      without even switching your feet, then switch them after you regain
      comfortable control).

      Mel
    • Mel
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 6, 2001
        <hyperboutlife@...> wrote:

        > I have been wakeboarding for 13 yrs and snowboarding for
        > 7...and all i could do last fall at Hatterus was go down wind on my
        > wakeboard...

        It's ALL in the kite. I've read that good wakeboarders who get sufficient
        kite practice first have no problem (& I believe it). I spent over 30 hours
        with the kite in the air ( before & after work) before trying to get on a
        board, & so I only had to walk upwind about 8 times (5 days). Guys who
        started a month before I even got my kite were asking me for tips after my
        first week on the water.