Beginner board advice

  • Chris Moore
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 6 7:42 AM
      Don,

      IMHO I think you would be best suited for the Wake n' Style boards by Lite
      Wave Designs. Your novice level snowboarding skills will help a little and
      you will have the quickest success with this board. A lot has been written
      about these boards in this group. They are a kiteboard and eliminate a lot
      of the frustration factors you encounter with wakeboards. At 145lbs, I
      would definitely recommend the Wake n' Style 169 boards with bungee
      bindings. I am an instructor for Kitty Hawk Kites and teach total novices
      on this board and what I witness mostly is how much quicker they learn to go
      upwind than someone using a larger directional. Thinner rails for holding
      your edge easier, 3 stage rocker that gives you good floatation for a
      twintip, easy in/out bindings with option to upgrade bindings later, and a
      really tough board. I have a complete Wake n' Style with quad fins,
      pro-locks, NSI pads, footstraps and bungees if you are interested.

      Chris M. Moore

      From: banfield@...
      Subject: Beginner board advice

      Hi,
      I'm thinking of buying a board so that once some warm weather comes,
      I can learn to kitesurf. I'm interested in some advice weighing the
      relative merits of a couple of boards that I've seen in classifieds.
      I'm a decent waterskier (slalom), adequate windsurfer (longtime, but
      no real jibing), good dinghy sailor (LONGtime), good downhill skier,
      novice snowboarder, and I've never surfed. I weigh about 145 pounds.
      I've been kiteskiing 3 times, which has gone pretty well in spite of
      the very gusty conditions we have. It is likely to be fairly gusty
      again on the lake I'll use this summer. The lake is deep, about 1
      mile wide, and 40 miles long. Chop is frequently 1-2 feet or more
      because of the long fetch with the predominately along lake winds.
      I've seen a Naish Sky Pirate 7'6" for sale and an F-One 215. These
      both seem roughly right for beginning, right? Would anyone care to
      suggest merits of one over the other, or perhaps a different direction
      entirely? I figure the gusty conditions favor a floaty directional
      over a wakeboard (in spite of the ease of avoiding jibing).
      Thanks for the advice!

      Don Banfield
      Finger Lakes, NY

    • Mel
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 6 4:17 PM
        <banfield@...> writes:

        > I figure the gusty conditions favor a floaty directional
        > over a wakeboard (in spite of the ease of avoiding jibing).

        Compared to sailboards, kiteboards are incredibly easy to jibe.
        Unlike jibing sailboards, if you've got decent kite skills (spend all your
        free time flying the kite by itself before you get on a board) you don't
        need to worry about falling off a plane (just move the kite to power you
        back up), or digging the front rail too much (just move the kite & the board
        will follow), or even switching your feet at the right moment (just sail out
        without even switching your feet, then switch them after you regain
        comfortable control).

        Mel
      • Mel
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 6 4:28 PM
          <hyperboutlife@...> wrote:

          > I have been wakeboarding for 13 yrs and snowboarding for
          > 7...and all i could do last fall at Hatterus was go down wind on my
          > wakeboard...

          It's ALL in the kite. I've read that good wakeboarders who get sufficient
          kite practice first have no problem (& I believe it). I spent over 30 hours
          with the kite in the air ( before & after work) before trying to get on a
          board, & so I only had to walk upwind about 8 times (5 days). Guys who
          started a month before I even got my kite were asking me for tips after my
          first week on the water.