Beginner board advice

  • banfield@astrosun.tn.cornell.edu
    Message 1 of 6 , Mar 5, 2001
      Hi,
      I'm thinking of buying a board so that once some warm weather comes,
      I can learn to kitesurf. I'm interested in some advice weighing the
      relative merits of a couple of boards that I've seen in classifieds.
      I'm a decent waterskier (slalom), adequate windsurfer (longtime, but
      no real jibing), good dinghy sailor (LONGtime), good downhill skier,
      novice snowboarder, and I've never surfed. I weigh about 145 pounds.
      I've been kiteskiing 3 times, which has gone pretty well in spite of
      the very gusty conditions we have. It is likely to be fairly gusty
      again on the lake I'll use this summer. The lake is deep, about 1
      mile wide, and 40 miles long. Chop is frequently 1-2 feet or more
      because of the long fetch with the predominately along lake winds.
      I've seen a Naish Sky Pirate 7'6" for sale and an F-One 215. These
      both seem roughly right for beginning, right? Would anyone care to
      suggest merits of one over the other, or perhaps a different direction
      entirely? I figure the gusty conditions favor a floaty directional
      over a wakeboard (in spite of the ease of avoiding jibing).
      Thanks for the advice!

      Don Banfield
      Finger Lakes, NY
      Message 2 of 6 , Mar 5, 2001
        banfield@... wrote:

        > Hi,
        > I'm thinking of buying a board so that once some warm weather comes,
        > I can learn to kitesurf. I'm interested in some advice weighing the
        > relative merits of a couple of boards that I've seen in classifieds.
        > I'm a decent waterskier (slalom), adequate windsurfer (longtime, but
        > no real jibing), good dinghy sailor (LONGtime), good downhill skier,
        > novice snowboarder, and I've never surfed. I weigh about 145 pounds.
        > I've been kiteskiing 3 times, which has gone pretty well in spite of
        > the very gusty conditions we have. It is likely to be fairly gusty
        > again on the lake I'll use this summer. The lake is deep, about 1
        > mile wide, and 40 miles long. Chop is frequently 1-2 feet or more
        > because of the long fetch with the predominately along lake winds.
        > I've seen a Naish Sky Pirate 7'6" for sale and an F-One 215. These
        > both seem roughly right for beginning, right? Would anyone care to
        > suggest merits of one over the other, or perhaps a different direction
        > entirely? I figure the gusty conditions favor a floaty directional
        > over a wakeboard (in spite of the ease of avoiding jibing).

        At 145 lb, the FOne 215 is a better all around board, unless you want to
        sail in really light wind and have another board for strong wind then go
        with the 7'6".

        Hung.
      • hyperboutlife@aol.com
        Message 3 of 6 , Mar 5, 2001
          Don....from what little i know so far...dont try to learn on a
          wakeboard.....I have been wakeboarding for 13 yrs and snowboarding for
          7...and all i could do last fall at Hatterus was go down wind on my
          wakeboard...granted the conditions were strong at times for my Naish 11.5,
          but the advanced riders gave me alot of credit for trying to learn on a
          wakeboard. I had no trouble riding or going up wind on the floaty 7 foot
          plus directionals i tried out there. The guy teaching out there was using
          an 8 footer for his students. Hope that helps!!
          Ben
        • Chris Moore
          Message 4 of 6 , Mar 6, 2001
            Don,

            IMHO I think you would be best suited for the Wake n' Style boards by Lite
            Wave Designs. Your novice level snowboarding skills will help a little and
            you will have the quickest success with this board. A lot has been written
            about these boards in this group. They are a kiteboard and eliminate a lot
            of the frustration factors you encounter with wakeboards. At 145lbs, I
            would definitely recommend the Wake n' Style 169 boards with bungee
            bindings. I am an instructor for Kitty Hawk Kites and teach total novices
            on this board and what I witness mostly is how much quicker they learn to go
            upwind than someone using a larger directional. Thinner rails for holding
            your edge easier, 3 stage rocker that gives you good floatation for a
            twintip, easy in/out bindings with option to upgrade bindings later, and a
            really tough board. I have a complete Wake n' Style with quad fins,
            pro-locks, NSI pads, footstraps and bungees if you are interested.

            Chris M. Moore

            Message 5 of 6 , Mar 6, 2001
              <banfield@...> writes:

              > I figure the gusty conditions favor a floaty directional
              > over a wakeboard (in spite of the ease of avoiding jibing).

              Compared to sailboards, kiteboards are incredibly easy to jibe.
              Unlike jibing sailboards, if you've got decent kite skills (spend all your
              free time flying the kite by itself before you get on a board) you don't
              need to worry about falling off a plane (just move the kite to power you
              back up), or digging the front rail too much (just move the kite & the board
              will follow), or even switching your feet at the right moment (just sail out
              without even switching your feet, then switch them after you regain
              comfortable control).

              Mel
            • Mel
              Message 6 of 6 , Mar 6, 2001
                <hyperboutlife@...> wrote:

                > I have been wakeboarding for 13 yrs and snowboarding for
                > 7...and all i could do last fall at Hatterus was go down wind on my
                > wakeboard...

                It's ALL in the kite. I've read that good wakeboarders who get sufficient
                kite practice first have no problem (& I believe it). I spent over 30 hours
                with the kite in the air ( before & after work) before trying to get on a
                board, & so I only had to walk upwind about 8 times (5 days). Guys who
                started a month before I even got my kite were asking me for tips after my
                first week on the water.