Re: [ksurfschool] Re: Learning to kitesurf

    Message 1 of 20 , Mar 5, 2001
      > Troy Bezanson wrote:
      >
      > There's no one around, but I'm determined enough that I'm going to try
      > it.
      > I weigh just under 200lbs, and our wind around here is usually
      > 15-20km/h gusting to 30-40 km/h
      > I think the bigger the kite the better. I'd prefer to learn in
      > lighter winds as it would be less likely to get into an
      > overpowered situation.
      > Any suggestions on kite size would be helpful.

      There was some posts recently about kite size and rider weight, please
      go to the archive at
      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/ksurfschool/message/1136 (and read all the
      follow-up posts)

      Just remember that kite size is "approximately" proportional to rider
      weight (such that you can figure out the right kite size for you in the
      same wind as another rider)

      > One of the nice things about living in Nova Scotia is that I live on a
      > penninsula, and if the wind isn't good on the atlantic side, I can go
      > to the other side where the wind is often quite different. I hadn't
      > thought about areas that are covered by only 2-3 feet of water.
      > I know of 2 other spots that you can wade out into the water quite a
      > ways where it is only up to your hips and where there are sand bars.
      > This would be ideal for leaning. I guess there is no reason why you'd
      > have to be in deep water to kite surf.

      Shallow water is actually easier to learn on (as you can walk upwind
      without having to go to shore and pack up). Just don't jump in shallow
      water and watch out for rocks or sandbars.

      P.S. I met Brian from Prince Edward Island a few years ago and he did
      try body surfing with my Wipika 5.0. He ran some kayaking excursion
      shop in PEI. He is probably a kitesurfer now. You may want to check
      him out.

      Hung.
    • mdelliott@waco.expresspersonnel.com
      Message 2 of 20 , Mar 5, 2001
        Friend in a boat was the most helpful for me learning. I could launch
        with a off shore or side off wind and I got lots of practice using up
        the length of the lake down wind. Make sure you get the kite down and
        secure before you get close to the downwind shore.Biggest trouble on
        our lake is that walking back any distance is through heavily wooded
        areas, ravines etc. I even copied somebodies idea when alone i would
        let my waverunner,with 15 ft line and anchor suspended in the water,
        drift down wind while i practiced trying to get upwind. The
        waverunner would drift to the down wind end of the lake and the
        anchor would catch before it washed onto shore. then i would ride the
        waverunner with my gear upwind and start over.

        Im still learning but agree with the advice on the reel bar. I didnt
        have one when I learned the basics but now really appreciate it . I
        can safely launch from smaller clearings than required on a regular
        bar and still be safe. MARK
      • hyperboutlife@aol.com
        Message 3 of 20 , Mar 5, 2001
          Mark... which reel bar are you using?? Care to give a review of it?? I am in
          Ohio and face many of the conditions you speak of and think the reel bar
          would be great. Let me know
          Ben
        • mdelliott@waco.expresspersonnel.com
          Message 4 of 20 , Mar 6, 2001
            --- In ksurfschool@y..., hyperboutlife@a... wrote:
            > Mark... which reel bar are you using?? Care to give a review of
            it?? I am in
            > Ohio and face many of the conditions you speak of and think the
            reel bar
            > would be great. Let me know
            > Ben

            Using a flowbee. If you go to the kitesurf group and search on
            "flowbee" youll see several posts.

            In general I like it. I think it is the only reel bar designed to
            reel in while flying. Only bad thing is that on the 4line
            naish/wipika setup you only have about 6 inches of adjustment on the
            depowering .I think more is helpful on my 11.5 and 15.5 naish, doesnt
            seem to matter as much on smaller kites. Its great for launching on
            our lake. With side shore or a little side on I can wade 10 ft away
            from shore, launch the kite with 10 ft of line and use to pull myself
            into deep water away from shore and then allow kite to reel out to 40m
            for flying. Landing is identical in reverse. Whenever I am close to
            shore I only have 10 ft of line out and am able to avoid most
            kitesurf dangers experienced with lines fully extended. Ill assume
            you read kitesurf group posts on flowbee, let me know if you have any
            other questions. Might also search for "skyte" or "reelbar" or "Reel-
            bar" Flowbee is EXPENSIVE, I think around $1000. I ordered mine
            before they were even released and got a cheaper price, supposedly
            wholesale for the first 50 that ordered It is probably worth that as
            far as cost to manufacture, seems to be pretty precision made as far
            as gearing etc,carbon fiber shaft and aluminum constuction. Its just
            a question if its worth a grand for its added convienience, for me it
            is. MARK
          • Mel
            Message 5 of 20 , Mar 6, 2001
              KiteBoarding Magazine says they'll drop to about $800 soon. Still
              expensive, but better than $1000!

              From: <mdelliott@...>